Weather in May

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Weather in May

Postby Tinsley » 17 Apr 2017, 14:57

Hi

We will be in Symi from 11th May for ten days.

We are beginning to assemble our holiday clothes and would like some guidance on what my wife and I should pack.

What temperatures can we expect and are we too hopeful to expect to be able to swim in the sea?

Thanks
Tinsley
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Weather in May

Postby Allan » 17 Apr 2017, 15:17

Hi and welcome to the forum

The weather in mid May is likely to be warm and sunny by day but the evenings could be cool enough to warrant a thin jumper or cardigan if you are out and about.
It could rain but it's unlikely and then it'll only be a shower, not enough to need a raincoat. It's a very pleasant (and increasingly popular) time of year to visit with plenty of warmth without the oppressive heat of high summer. Temperatures in the mid to high twenties. I'd suggest you just pack for a summer holiday (shorts, t-shirts, that kind of thing) with thin jumpers for the evening.

You can, of course, swim in the sea at any time of year but it's likely to be cool in May. Not cold, it's never cold, at least by UK standards, but a little bit bracing :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby big gus » 17 Apr 2017, 17:42

The sea in may is cold not as cold as home in Scotland but cold, its fine if you swim but cold for any thing else.
We will be on symi mid May as normal and in the sea but it will be cold but gets a little warmer ever day you're there.
We swim ever morning at 7.00am at Nireus then a hot shower and a big breakfast great!!
big gus
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Kojak » 17 Apr 2017, 22:53

Hello Tinsley. I also arrive in Symi on 11th May. I go every year at this time - also mid September. The weather is fine enough to wear shorts and a T shirt during the day and normally short sleeves shirts or T shirts at night. As everyone has said, have a thin jumper/jacket in case there is the odd cool night. I think May and September have a pleasant comfortable climate. Having spent several years on Symi during August I couldn't cope with the heat now.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Tinsley » 18 Apr 2017, 13:39

Thanks everybody. Temperatures sound ideal.
Think the swimming might have to wait for another time. If Symi is as good as everybody says I'm sure a second visit will be on the cards.
Tinsley
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Fullenglish » 24 Apr 2017, 13:05

Hi Tinsley,

You are going to love it. We will be there in June.

Please give us your feedback.

Phil
Fullenglish
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Symi Chat