Taxiarchis or Nireus

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Taxiarchis or Nireus

Postby grantdmc » 03 Feb 2017, 13:41

Hi everyone. In the past, we have stayed near the harbour but I'm thinking of going for Taxiarchis as so many people have nice things to say about it. I am, however still tempted by Nireus as it is so close to the harbour. Can anyone advise? Thanks x
grantdmc
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Taxiarchis or Nireus

Postby Allan » 03 Feb 2017, 14:39

Hi grantdmc

Since you've been to Symi before you understand the Harbour/village distinction so I won't go over that again.

At the Nireus you will get the full hotel treatment as you would expect. Taxiarchis is a group of apartments and studios so, while they do serve breakfast if you want it, there is no restaurant and they don't provide dinner.

Nireus, as you know, is right on the harbour front so if you get a front-facing room the view is absolutely stunning. Less so if you are at the side or back of the hotel. Also, of course, you have the road passing right in front of the hotel. Not a busy road but a road non the less.

At Taxiarchis all the rooms and apartments face down the Pedi valley to the bay so all the views are good. Not quite as in-your-face as at Nireus but beautiful, particularly as the sun sets. It's also very quiet there, apart from the odd cockerel and donkey.

Taxiarchis is a family run concern and they all go out of their way to make you feel welcome and part of the family. Nothing is too much trouble for Frank. I've never stayed at Nireus but I have no doubt that the service is very good, there are plenty of reviews to that effect, I just can't imagine it will have the same family feel as Taxiarchis.

Of course it doesn't really matter whether your room is cleaned regularly by a hotel employee or cleaned regularly by a friendly member of the family, as long as it is cleaned (as it will be at either place). But I like the family feel to Taxiarchis and the way I'm treated as a friend rather than just another guest.

In case you don't know where Taxiarchis is located, it's just a minute or so downhill from the bus stop at Campos in the village, a five minute stroll from the bars and tavernas in the village centre so not far from anywhere. The amount of walking you will have to do will probably be about the same from either place but do bear in mind that short stretches of hill are involved in the village. Something to consider if you're unsteady on your feet.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 04 Feb 2017, 09:20

I've never stayed at the Nireus (I think it's out of my price range for a start) but stayed at Taxiarchis last September and thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms are spacious and have all you require - as you can see from the reviews. However I like the peace and quiet of the village over the hustle and bustle of the harbour and enjoy walking so for me (at the moment) it would be village over harbour every time - though I still visit the harbour most days.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Sue L » 05 Feb 2017, 01:33

We've stayed at the Nireus 11 times in the last 20 years it's where we stay when we visit Symi it's a comfortable family run greek hotel the rooms are clean, breakfast good, beds comfy and everything works.The view from the rooms at the front of the hotel is wonderful. It's far enough away from the majority of the bars and restaurants to be quiet at night but an easy walk without the steps. You can swim off the quay right outside the hotel, yes there's a road but the hotel has tables on the quay and traffic is not a problem. The staff are lovely and the welcome when we arrive is always warm.The Nireus has lots of repeat visitors we see many familier faces everytime we stay Ilias and his team will look after you.
Sue L
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby grantdmc » 05 Feb 2017, 13:48

Thank you for taking the time to give me some advice. I have decided to plump for Nireus as I might struggle a bit with my dodgy knees up in Chorio. I managed to get a decent deal with Olympic so it was only just over £150 more for both of us, which seemed worth it when you factor everything in. Haven't been to Symi since 2008 so am very excited indeed as it will be our fourth visit to my favourite Greek island. Thank you so much. X
grantdmc
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Eliza » 05 Feb 2017, 20:26

Good choice you will not be disappointed especially if you have booked a sea view room. Enjoy your holiday.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kon » 09 Feb 2017, 03:32

We stayed at the Nireus in July last year ,I have stayed twice but must admit it has changed and not for the better but that's my experience .
The only thing that I can recommend is get a room that is at a lower floor only because if you want WIFI the top floors struggle to get it.
Enjoy your trip back to Symi .
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 10 Feb 2017, 15:37

Taxiarchis was our first ever stay on Symi back in the 1990's and as others say Frank & the family are wonderful hosts and staying in the village does have a very local feel. We have revisited Taxiarchis several time and we have also stayed at the Nireus when D's late mother, who wasn't good with steps, came with us. And it is a lovely hotel with very friendly staff, especially in the bar where many locals hang out, and the breakfast is excellent - when we visited last October we bought the Nireus buffet breakfast several times. And then in the evenings sitting out on the jetty with a cocktail before making our way to one of the many harbour restaurants is always a joy.

Having chosen the Nireus you are just a short walk to our two favourite restaurants when living "down" - Tholos and Odyssia where the food is outstanding but then find a bad restaurant on Symi !!

Anyway have a wonderful time and be sure so use the Forum to tell us how it all goes.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby grantdmc » 11 Feb 2017, 11:33

I will! Symi is so lovely I can't believe it has taken me so long to return!
grantdmc
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat