2017 Jet2 flights from LBA

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

2017 Jet2 flights from LBA

Postby SueO » 10 Oct 2016, 17:53

Shock horror!! We've become accustomed to an easy 09.00 departure from Leeds (our nearest and simplest airport) on a Wednesday - horrified to discover that their 2017 schedule has flights on Monday and Friday both departing mid afternoon meaning an overnight in Rhodes rather than the 19.00 ferry. Arrival time in the UK on the return journey is, of course, also rubbish - well after midnight. Having always sung the praises of Jet2, mainly because of their very convenient flight times, this feels like a personal affront :###.

Hubby thinks I'm mad looking at flights for next September but, having now been back from Symi for nearly two weeks, my thoughts are definitely turning in that direction!

Anyone any idea why the change in flight times? Andy (no urgency - I know you're due in Symi soon) what do you think? With your vast experience (I'm hoping flattery will get me everywhere!) which day would you guess to be better ferry wise?

SueO
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: 2017 Jet2 flights from LBA

Postby SueO » 10 Oct 2016, 17:59

P.S. I feel a bit stupid asking ferry questions but, after 30 years of travelling to Symi on a Wednesday, I feel "all at sea" :oops:

SueO

Yes - pun intended!
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 10 Oct 2016, 18:26

Why do Jet2 change flight times? Because they believe they can make more money using the aircraft to fly somewhere else at the original time; or because they are fed up with complaints about how overcrowded Rhodes airport is on Wednesdays; or because the collapse of first the Tunisian,then the Egyptian, and now the Turkish package tour markets has forced Jet2 Holidays to review its whole portfolio of destinations and change over dates. Jet2 Holidays provides about 70% of the customers for the airline.

Flying from the UK on a Friday gives you more choice of ferries on the Saturday morning, as there will be (assuming no major changes) first the Dodekanisos Express/Pride, then the Symi, then the Panagia Skiadeni, all between 8:30 and 9:30 am. There's no fast cat on a Tuesday morning in September/
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 11 Oct 2016, 07:23

Jet2 have flown to Rhodes in the afternoon before, though not for a few years now. Sorry to hear that they've reverted back to the afternoon as it's not convenient for Symi - though it could change. One year I booked on the afternoon flight and was delighted when I received a letter advising it had been changed to a morning departure. I haven't flown with Jet2 from LBA for a few years now as it increases the cost of my Symi holiday by at least £200 :?
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SueO » 12 Oct 2016, 07:39

Yes Gemma - it's not the cheapest option but the older we get the less well we travel and we've reached the point when minimal travel time and convenience outweigh cost.

We used to take a morning flight (varying companies) from Manchester but when Jet2 started doing their 09.00 departures from LBA and extended their schedule into October we were delighted and have remained faithful to them ever since.

I know it's not the end of the world - overnighting at the Plaza is a pleasant enough experience and, as you say, it's possible that things may change.

One thing's for sure - it won't prevent our annual pilgrimage to our favourite island :D
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Jan » 12 Oct 2016, 11:09

Sue - you could think about drive/train to Gatwick, stay overnight and get the crack-of-sparrow easyJet on a Wednesday to connect with the afternoon Blue Star arrivirng Symi 1630-ish. We've done it a number of times and think we may return to it next September.

I know the early morning start is a bit of a trial (we catch the 0230 train from home!) but to us getting to Symi on the same day makes it worthwhile. We actually felt almost as travel-worn this year after a lunchtime flight, an overnight in Rhodes and a start at what our heads still thought was 0500BST to catch the 0830 Dodek (though arriving on Symi at 0930 and being on Poseidon at 1030 may have had something to do with that!)

Whatever you choose, see you next year!
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby SueO » 13 Oct 2016, 16:33

Thanks for the suggestion Jan although actually I'd prefer not to think about travelling to Gatwick from York - gives me the shudders just contemplating it!

Back problems mean I can't sit in the car (driving or passenger) for much more than an hour and train means taxi into town, train to Kings Cross, transfer with bags to Victoria and second train to Gatwick :###. Did it many times in our younger days when LBA didn't exist and Manchester often wasn't an option but......

Actually, having given some more thought to the Friday/Monday flights from LBA it has occurred to me that a Friday flight out and a Monday return could give us more than our usual 12/13 nights on Symi even with overnights in Rhodes. Haven't thought it through ferry wise and dare not mention it to D just yet but the idea has left me feeling a bit more cheerful.

Anyway, however we travel, I'm sure we'll be there again in September 2017 and look forward to seeing you then.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 13 Oct 2016, 18:00

Sorry to contradict, but there's no need to go anywhere near Victoria to connect between a Kings Cross arrival and Gatwick. The Gatwick Express is a triumph of marketing over common sense!
On arrival at Kings Cross, follow the signs down to Thameslink platforms A & B, there are lifts and escalators, catch Thameslink train right to Gatwick. Easy as that.
Following the reconstruction of Kings Cross and St Pancras, the Thameslink platforms lie underneath both stations, which have always been side-by side.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SueO » 14 Oct 2016, 07:41

Just goes to show how out of touch I am Andy! Last time I used Thameslink (and it was a long time ago) I had to leave Kings Cross, walk up the road (can't remember which one) then down a load of steps - never found a lift or escalator.

That said - it's still too much of a hassle for us nowadays so will probably stick to LBA where we can just take a taxi door to door in around 45 minutes.

I'm a Londoner by birth and used to be quite happy travelling to school by tube never noticing or caring about the crowds. After 50 years living in a small village here in Yorkshire, London scares the heck out of me now :shock:

Sue

P.S. Thanks for the correction. Don't worry about contradicting me. You are the "travel guru" after all :) :)
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 15 Oct 2016, 09:45

Must confess I won't even fly from London longhaul, never mind short haul. I did look at some flights from Gatwick to Santorini with Norwegian once as they were so much cheaper than flying from Manchester (half the price) but just the thought of having to trail back from London at the end of the holiday and then straight back to work the next day put me off - plus the rail fare was almost as expensive as the flight. I wish Jet2 would fly to a few more Greek destinations, though they do seem to be slowly adding new ones - I can walk to the airport in 20 minutes if I need to so no worries about getting stuck in traffic on the M62 or having to go into Leeds to get the train ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat