Postby jules » 04 Oct 2016, 22:16

We are coming next wk is it best to change our money in the UK or Symi x
jules
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: The Euro

Postby D and E » 05 Oct 2016, 06:17

Hi Jules,

We use a CaxtonFX Worldwide MasterCard which comes with an App that allows us to link our UK current accounts and load any currency including Euro anytime we want. They send us an email / text each date with the rate and the App also provides the rate for all the various currencies. There are many of these cards available and I think if you are pressed for time the Post Office do one. There are several ATMs around the harbour in Yialos. We find that shops and restaurants prefer cash but we noticed that Irini's taxi boat had a card reader to hand the other day.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby jules » 05 Oct 2016, 09:39

Thank you
jules
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 05 Oct 2016, 11:14

If you don't want to obtain a pre-loaded cash card, it is definitely better to exchange money in the UK (though never at the departure airport). Not only do you get a better rate, but Symi banks aren't geared up to do foreign exchange quickly (because the majority of visitors to Symi are from other Eurozone countries and don't need to change anything).
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Robert » 05 Oct 2016, 16:19

Whatever you do I suggest you avoid getting cash out of a machine as the rate (as of last week when we were there) was less than £1 = 1 euro - something like 95p!
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 05 Oct 2016, 16:49

We agree with Robert - using a normal UK debit or credit card in an ATM is not the best of ideas. Pre-loaded card or just bring Euros is the way to go. Symi is a very safe environment.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby jules » 05 Oct 2016, 17:46

Thanks for your replies
jules
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Oct 2016, 06:55

Robert wrote:Whatever you do I suggest you avoid getting cash out of a machine as the rate (as of last week when we were there) was less than £1 = 1 euro - something like 95p!

I think it depends on what sort of card you have. I took enough euros with me on my September trip but often use my Halifax Clarity card in ATMs in Greece and have always had an excellent rate - slightly higher than I get at home.

Less than £1 to the euro is extortionate :shock:
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Adriana » 06 Oct 2016, 07:13

Remember that the exchange rate fluctuates on a daily basis and the pound has just taken a dive against both the euro and the dollar. This affects the rates you would get on Symi, either over the counter or from the ATM, as these are in 'real time' and affected by the daily fluctuations. If you change your money before you leave the UK then that is at whatever rate is applicable on the day you buy your euros.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat