Luggage storing on Rhodes?

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Luggage storing on Rhodes?

Postby Thomasdk » 10 Sep 2016, 08:59

Any ideas to where it's possible to store your luggage, while on Rhodes waiting for the ferry to Symi?
We've previously used a friendly hotel for this, but it would be nice to leave them at a place, where they're a bit safer and where they're also not a burden to the hotel.
I've read something about the tourist information stand near the harbor, but am not sure that's still a possibility.
Anyway, got lots of time to solve this, not leaving until early tomorrow morning.. :D

-Thomas
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Luggage storing on Rhodes?

Postby Allan » 10 Sep 2016, 10:05

Many years ago there was a tourist office behind the new market building in Mandraki where you could leave luggage but I don't know if it is still there.
Otherwise, many hotels are happy to look after your bags providing you buy a drink or snack from them.

I hope you have a safe journey Thomas. Symi is here waiting for you!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thomasdk » 10 Sep 2016, 11:13

The office seems to be there, I can't see it on Google Street View, only I don't know if they allow you to store luggage with them.
We haven't had any problems with the hotel either, Greeks are always very helpful and that's one of the many reasons why I love Greece so much.
But I'm just worried, if we leave them unattended, that something could happen, theoretically.
And thank you. :) I've looked forward to seeing Symi again for the last 2 years now. It feels unreal, that I'll be seeing it tomorrow evening. Sigh. :) :)
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 10 Sep 2016, 11:33

I seem to remember that the office only used to open a few hours a day so if it is still there and you can leave your luggage be careful it is open when you want to get it back!

I use The Plaza hotel a lot and they have a locked luggage room now so your bags are quite safe there. Their pool bar is a very pleasant place to pass a few hours too.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thomasdk » 10 Sep 2016, 12:01

I do keep that in mind, yes. :D
I've heard the Plaza mentioned 2 times today now. Maybe that's worth a try, also to get a break from walking in the old city for hours.
We've previously used Hotel Manosos, I think it's called. Very nice place, just not that interesting for several hours.
Thanks. :)
Do you know if it's possible to use the hotel, without booking rooms there? Can you pay something for the luggage maybe?
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 10 Sep 2016, 12:53

Thomasdk wrote:Do you know if it's possible to use the hotel, without booking rooms there? Can you pay something for the luggage maybe?

The Plaza doesn't charge for storing luggage. It is considered good manners to buy food and/or drinks from the bar, pool bar/cafe, or restaurant so the hotel gets some benefit from helping you, though. You might also mention that you're travelling to or from Symi. The owners come from Symi and like to encourage tourism there.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Thomasdk » 10 Sep 2016, 13:30

I will definitely buy a beer or two there. My lunch is unfortunately reserved for a wonderful little restaurant in the old city. But I can always leave some good tips also, that should clear my conscience.
And thanks, I'll be sure to mention Symi. :)
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Symi Chat