Kos

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Kos

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 03 Jul 2016, 12:03

Well, that's it for another year. Arrived back home to Glasgow shortly after midnight.Given temperatures in Symi were in the mid to high 30s during our stay it made for a chilly return. Being so hot we didn't get any walks in at all which was a shame. This year we went via Kos as it was saving us around £250 compared to Flights to Rhodes. Inbound was no problem but outbound was torture.Kos Airport has got to be one of the worst in Europe. After passing through security,we found ourselves in a cramped,overcrowded departure area,with every seat occupied.The two food outlets offered nothing but fast food(aka junk food).The Duty Free 'shop' was marginally larger than my local newsagent and had no gin for goodness sake!There was no flight information whatsoever as all the departure screens were blank. I was never so glad to get on a plane. And by the way,I absolutely hate flying. Its back to Rhodes Airport next year(no great shakes itself of course).More expensive but at least I'll keep my sanity.
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Kos

Postby D and E » 03 Jul 2016, 19:49

Sounds horrendous.

We have thought about traveling via Kos so thanks for the alert.

We will stick with Rodos.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby STEVE » 03 Jul 2016, 20:43

We used Kos this time for the first time after 20 years or so using Rhodes. Our experience returning home last Tuesday was exactly the opposite and we were quite impressed. However, Tuesday mid afternoon there are just two flights. Jet 2 to Leeds and Jet 2 to East Midlands. We were on the latter. With only two flights to cater for there was plenty of space in the gates and it all worked very well. We had been told when on Kalymnos the previous week that whilst Tuesday is fine, Thursday is a very different matter with a lot more flights fitting into the same, small, airport. It must be chaos and that's a lesson learned. We were also advised that if we did want a drink or a bite to eat to use the Costa outlet opposite the entrance adjacent to where the taxis pull in rather than the airports own outlet that has a reputation for being a bit hit and miss.

Yes, we will use Kos again but only when we can see, when booking, that it's a quiet time.
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Oor Willie » 03 Jul 2016, 22:11

We came back a week ago via Kos and our experience was the same as Joe's plus we had a 2 hour delay so even more time in the departure lounge going via Rhodes in September
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat