Recommendations

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Recommendations

Postby thisisforcarl » 06 Jul 2015, 19:17

Hi all, This Thursday my family and I arrive in Symi for the first time.

We have refused to be put off by negative press, hoping that we don't regret it later, but have taken on board about bringing enough cash.

I guess what I would like to know is how much is enough. There are three of us and wondered how much dinner and drinks are likely to cost. I'm not looking for breakdown but just rough ballpark for your average meal with wine.

Also any recommendations for restaurants would be good if you can help.

Many thanks

Carl
thisisforcarl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Recommendations

Postby Allan » 06 Jul 2015, 20:22

Hi Carl welcome to the forum.

I'm pleased you haven't been put off by the bad press and are going ahead with your visit. You certainly won't regret it. As of today the banks on the island are functioning fine and there's no sign of them running out of cash.

Can I suggest you read through some of the threads on this forum for ideas about costs and suggestions about where to eat?
Try the one entitled "Silverfox on Symi" http://symiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2708
or, further down the page, "If it's May ....." http://symiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2702
and back on page two "Symi trip report - September 2014" http://symiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2591

As you would expect, prices vary but all three of these trip reports give a very good idea of how much you will be likely to pay and include lots of recommendations for places to eat and drink.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thisisforcarl » 06 Jul 2015, 20:26

Thank you Allan, I have started to read through some of the posts since posting, and thanks for the info on the banks.
thisisforcarl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Jul 2015, 20:39

Please don't be put off by the bad press.....Symi is a wonderful place with great food....just had a great meal at the Windmill paying a little more than normal 58 euro but what a meal we have had...more in the blog when I can catch up.

The people, despite a little worried, carrying on as normal, there is nothing else to do. They will look after you and share what they have!

Greece is a great place and long may it continue! :)

Ps...it's getting hot!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby thisisforcarl » 07 Jul 2015, 16:03

Thanks silverfox. Arriving on Thursday and can't wait. I have been reading you blog entries and finding them very useful. It's been about 20 years since I was last in Greece, and will be my 14 year old daughter's first time. Loving your photos! Keep up the good work.

Carl
thisisforcarl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Jul 2015, 07:37

I travel solo and budget 20 euros a day for dinner and 10 for lunch - though often spend less as only have a snack with a bottle of water at lunch time. I find that 50 euros a day is plenty for me, that leaves enough for breakfast supplies from the supermarket and a few glasses of wine at the Sunrise at night ;) In the past I've taken euros and topped up from the ATMs but will take all euros with me when I go back in September.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby lapochka1961 » 21 Sep 2015, 21:31

Hello.Thanks for accepting me .
Could anybody give me some tips about the Island?
I am going to be there for some hours late afternoon with a cruise ship.There is no any excursion organised from the ship.So,what could be possible to see?Where to go?Is there any travel agency to contact with?Where to get taxi from?Are they expensive?Maybe somebody could do a private tour.
Any advices please?
Thanks in advance
lapochka1961
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 22 Sep 2015, 08:52

Hello and welcome

The cruise ship visits the island for only a few hours so your options are quite limited.
Since virtually all of the island's population live in the main town where your ship docks or in the village above there are few things to visit outside that small area. The only significant site you might want to see is the Panormitis monastery which is down at the south of the island. You should easily be able to get there and back in the time you have available and it's certainly worth a visit.

I suggest you contact Symi Tours travel agency on +30 22460 71307 or +30 22460 71689 Their website is http://www.symitours.com They run trips to Panormitis in their mini-bus and if you can get a number of your fellow passengers interested they may put on a special trip for you. Give them a call and explain what you want.

Taxis are based on the harbour front at the opposite side to where your ship docks. Their phone numbers are listed on the SymiBest site http://www.symibest.gr/services/ The prices are reasonable and whilst they don't offer guided tours they will happily drive you to Panormitis and back. The drive is interesting and you will see most of the island as you go.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lapochka1961 » 22 Sep 2015, 19:29

Thank you so much for your help
Will try the both options
Might be somebody English speaking living on the island would like to do a car ride to monastery and back?
lapochka1961
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 22 Sep 2015, 19:44

Might be somebody English speaking living on the island would like to do a car ride to monastery and back?

Possibly. Again I suggest you ask at Symi Tours, they sometimes have an English guide on their trips.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lapochka1961 » 22 Sep 2015, 22:50

Thanks a lot ,but I am traveling alone,so there is a quite small chance to find somebody who will share a private tour.Cause it must be organized in advance.This was the reason why I asked about the car ride.And some bobs could be helpful for somebody.Anyway,thanks a lot for all information and advices giving to me
Last edited by lapochka1961 on 23 Sep 2015, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
lapochka1961
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby sootyandsweep » 23 Sep 2015, 09:39

And if you get to the monastery - you must have a wood oven pastry afterwards - they are truly scrumptious.
sootyandsweep
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby lapochka1961 » 23 Sep 2015, 11:08

Thanks if I will get there....
lapochka1961
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Symi Chat