It's raining

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

It's raining

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 23 Aug 2006, 14:43

Well, it started out overcast here, and now it's throwing it down. :cry: Ho hum. At least I don't have to run the risk of contravening the hosepipe ban any more. Anyone else having a soggy August?
Sheila and Andrew

It's raining

Postby Mille » 23 Aug 2006, 16:22

Yup Andrew.
It's raining here as well, and has done so for the better (or worse) part of august :cry:
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

It's raining

Postby Sapphire » 23 Aug 2006, 17:37

Yup - it's grim up North as usual. Despite the rain my DS has been out playing football all day with his mates. The back garden is now a mud bath, my hall smells like a football pitch and three very muddy boys are now lounging on my lovely new sofa (Mum - it's only mud, it will dry) playing on the Xbox. When do they go back to school ...?

We were in the Yorkshire Dales over the weekend and the waterfalls were all very spectacular and very different from when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Didn't do any swimming this time though - too many large bits of tree coming down!

Sapphy
Sapphire
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

It's raining

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 23 Aug 2006, 23:36

It's still raining. I hope it clears up for the weekend. I wonder - if Symi Island had a northern European west coast climate, would we still go there? I bet the architecture would look a little different. Imagine if there was snow for the winter season. Imagine skiing on Vigla - they do it on Cyprus and that isn't far away.
Sheila and Andrew

It's raining

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 24 Aug 2006, 02:47

We've had some rain, but not enough, we are miles behind in our average rainfall and the dams are only 29% full :( Bear in mind that this time next week it will be spring :) .
Logging on I noticed that the 3.20am temp on Symi was 26degrees. Yikes! And thats usually the coolest part of the night.
The worst heatwave i struck on Symi was in 1993, it must have been similar to the present one. I'd go out to get some juice and buns for breakfast and walking only 100m would have me drenched in sweat. It was really too hot for the beach, we'd go to St. Nics and loll under the tamerisk trees :(
Wish I was there now...
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

It's raining

Postby Sapphire » 24 Aug 2006, 10:02

In 1988, we got a last minute deal and visited Symi in early May and it rained on and off for most of the week. We were staying in the not quite finished shed on top of the Captain's Studios and spent most of the week walking or sitting up there with our books watching the goings on. The Symi charm remained for us at least despite the gloomy weather but I'm not quite sure the day trippers from Rhodes felt the same. Very few came dressed for the weather!

I'd love to visit Symi in the winter. However, I have read an article from the Halki Visitor written by a couple who had visited Halki for years and then one year decided to stay - it made for interesting reading and illustrated how different island life is once the tourist season is over and the visitors have all gone. The weather was rather different too ... I wonder if Adriana could post the article up. I'd love to read it again (HINT :D )

Sapphy x
Sapphire
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

It's raining

Postby benedetti » 24 Aug 2006, 10:32

What happened to the hot weather we were promised. Mind you I quite like coming to Symi when it is dreight here. I love the rush of heat when we land at Rhodes.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

It's raining

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 26 Aug 2006, 00:08

Well it's been quite nice here today. What started out as a fairly overcast day turned into a rather pleasant afternoon with fluffy clouds breaking up big patches of blue sky, and a big yellow sun catching a few people unawares. This evening has been quite nice too, and although the evenings are drawing in with a vengeance, it's still pleasant to sit in the garden and listen to the gentle hum of the pizza delivery motorbike as it struggles up the road. Off to Wales tomorrow for the weekend, and a barbecue with friends and family, so I expect it to empty down all weekend until we are back in work on Tuesday.
Sheila and Andrew

It's raining

Postby benedetti » 26 Aug 2006, 09:40

Exciting on this chat page isn't it?
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

It's raining

Postby Sunshine » 27 Aug 2006, 15:50

...only as exciting as you people make it...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

It's raining

Postby Adriana » 28 Aug 2006, 13:42

Hi Sapphy,

I don't think we have that article from Halki in digital form any more...

Anyone wanting to know what Symi's like in the winter is welcome to wade their way through the archives of my diary ;) There are also some interesting 'out and about' photos over the years of gales, waterspouts, floods etc! Fortunately most years this kind of stuff is in the minority, though it can get pretty queasy going on the ferry sometimes :(

For those of us who live here all year round and work all summer winter is the time when we actually enjoy the island ourselves. :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

It's raining

Postby symivisitor » 28 Aug 2006, 14:19

Here's a good one; from 2000 if my memory serves correctly.

[img]http://www.symivisitor.com/tormadono2.jpg[/img]
symivisitor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

It's raining

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 28 Aug 2006, 23:29

Just typed a load of stuff and now it's disappeared. Ho hum.
Sheila and Andrew

It's raining

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 29 Aug 2006, 14:37

OK, let's try again. It's a lot less wet now, although we are getting a lot of unexpected showers. What starts out as a nice sunny day soon turns into greyness followed swiftly by a drenching, then more greyness with a little bit of sun, and then before you know it darkness has fallen and you have to put the lights on. How anyone can say that we in Britain have a summer is beyond me. How can you possibly describe a season where the weather changes every twenty minutes? What would you call such a season if you had to think of a new name for it? How about dispensing with season names and just calling the whole 12 months "Weather"? Anyone got any thoughts?
Sheila and Andrew

It's raining

Postby Adriana » 29 Aug 2006, 15:13

Well, the Greeks divide their year into 'good weather' and winter... 8-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

It's raining

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 29 Aug 2006, 15:48

Hate to put the boot in ;) but its not quite spring but today was a cloudless 27. this morning there were a few bees in the garden and a blowfly in the kitchen :cry:
Its strange you don't see them during the cooler months (note: I did not use the word "winter")but on the first warmish day, there they are. Thats nature for you.
Other words, Andrew? how about;
Winter...bloody ****e
Spring...sorta ****ey
Summer...take your pick
Autumn...getting ****ey
You folk should be used to it by now :D Those 2 weeks in the sun look pretty good, don't they. 8-)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

It's raining

Postby Mille » 29 Aug 2006, 16:03

As I asked Adriana earlier today:
How come it's always raining when I'm off to get the kids?!

It was dry all morning, at lunch time and in the early afternoon. But when I put the baby in her pram it started dripping. As soon I locked the door behind us, it pissed!! :(

I hate it!!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

It's raining

Postby Adriana » 29 Aug 2006, 17:40

In my experience there are two things that bring on rain in Symi. The first is cleaning all the Symi Visitor office windows and the second is polishing the exterior brasswork on our yacht!

As a matter of policy we don't do either during the tourist season to avoid disappointing our visitors ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

It's raining

Postby Sapphire » 29 Aug 2006, 18:10

Millie

It always rains when it's time to get the kids from school in the UK too!

Sapphy x
Sapphire
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Symi Chat