Traffic..again!!

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Traffic..again!!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 12 Sep 2006, 07:42

I know its a bit late but did you see the survy conducted by SV in the August issue? They asked 22 business people what they perceived were the problems facing Symi.
Almost to a man they said "Traffic". They commented on the pointless trips made by uncaring drivers. We've all seen it, someone hops in a car, drives 150 metres, does their business then try to execute a 50 point turn to return the 150 metres back. Silly, eh? :(
Every morning I would notice a guy drive from his house somewhere near the Neirada Restaurant and park it somewhere near Pachos and there it would remain until he drove it home. Apart from sheer laziness, its also very inconsiderate. Whats to stop him walking the couple of hundred metres to work (even less if he cut down the back streets) and then picking the car up from home if needed during the day..hopefully to go somewhere more than a few hundred metres :evil:
The vox populi has been published and now is the time for the authorities to do something. I wonder if they will have the gumption to ban tourists vehicles? :?:
There has also been mention on the other site of the unlicenced foreign vehicles being driven around the island. Thats frightening and could bankrupt the island if there were a serious bodily injury claim. I have no idea of European law, but I imagine the Council could be proved negligent in allowing the situation to remain unchallenged and be dragged into a messy legal maelstrom along with the driver and /or owner of the offending vehicle. :o
Lets hope it never happens, but it could. All it takes to fix is a little policing. Easy peesy. :oops:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Richard » 12 Sep 2006, 13:08

I'm sure that the 3 new traffic police will sort it out.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Kon » 12 Sep 2006, 13:53

While walking down in Yialos i had two elderly ladys probably locals from up chorio turn to each other and say "are you sure we are in Symi where did all these cars come from".I took a taxi from Nireus hotel to the other side where the Symi was anchored outside symi visitor office ,it was too hot and tiring to walk around with three suitcases plus you keep pulling to the side for cars to pass ,i do think it is a problem and one that has to be delt with soon.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby bill » 12 Sep 2006, 15:23

I thought that there was less traffic this year than last. It does seem to be improving. Yes there are more cars, but noise and jams were less.
Last year it took 10 minutes to get to Chorio due to stopping and letting cars through and other hold ups.[/color]
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 12 Sep 2006, 15:50

Hi Richard. I think we would be all a bit naive if we thought the 3 new cops would make any difference..if they are Symi guys. Its a bit hard to book relations and bosom buddies. Imagine the flack they would cop! :?
The only workable solution would be to employ wardens from another island and keep swapping them around.
The unlicenced vehicles are a huge worry. :o
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Richard » 12 Sep 2006, 16:40

I wasn't being too serious!
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Greg73 » 17 Sep 2006, 01:49

Nothing like a little jerk putting a hole in his muffler and pointing it upwards so the exhaust blows in your face. REAL CUTE ... I'm surprised no one has done anything horrible to one of these clowns.

There's way more traffic this year than last and I noticed people riding their vehicles through the side streets and rev'ing the engines I guess to attract attention ... Nothing like eating in a narrow side street restaurant and some noisy bike going right past you and the rider rev'ing the engine. The tourists must love that!
Greg73
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Mille » 17 Sep 2006, 14:44

In May, we could hardly sit at a bar, near the Clock Tower, without coughing our lungs up due to exhaust from variuos motorized vehicles. I hope the three new traffic policemen can do something about it.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Traffic..again!!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 18 Sep 2006, 08:50

So do we all, Mille, so do we all. But we've been down this path so many times that it is now a well worn track.
The survey of business folk in the August SV made their grievance loud and clear. Perhaps if one of the aspiring mayors could make it an integeral part of their platform...and then follow it up, may be part way to a solution. :evil:
Personally, I feel the number of unlicenced vehicles a more pressing problem. The ramifications are wide and very, very serious.
Perhaps if there is a lawyer out there who could make some comment, the hierarchy might take some notice.
Maybe a partner in Daves favourite firm of Snatchett Grabbit and Runne :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Adriana » 20 Sep 2006, 12:12

Mind you it is A LOT quieter at this time of the year as we have lots more walkers and very few of the visitors at this time of the year hire a car or bike for more than a day or two, just to go up the mountain. ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby skidsolo » 03 Oct 2006, 20:14

Oh! come on guys, we need to consider the local community.

It's all very well to complain about the traffic, but let's not lose sight of things. How many of you guys think nothing of hopping in your car for a visit to the local shops?

As for 'the fumes', have you breathed the air in a western european city lately??

My wife and I have just returned from our third visit and have every intention of returning again next year.

So maybe there are some issues to be addressed but let's keep things in perspective.
skidsolo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 04 Oct 2006, 03:37

Hi Skidsolo, You said you and your wife have "just" returned from Symi.
Bear in mind that you visited at the tail end of the season, the weather is not oppressively hot, the local business people are probably dog tired and the young studs have had their jollies and tourists have gone home with THEIR vehicles. :D
I am sure you would have a different opinion in july/august.
Anyway, glad you enjoyed your break..its some place, eh?. :geek:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Adriana » 04 Oct 2006, 07:33

I have a theory that Brits and anyone else accustomed to driving on the left is less likely to hire a car and venture forth on Symi, whereas those who have honed their driving skills in Milan, Paris or Rome are more confident about braving the local dodgems! :twisted:

There is certainly marked less hire car and tourist vehicle traffic in September... :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 04 Oct 2006, 09:58

Keeping to the left, Adriana? :idea:
I think I'd rather chance it in Cairo! :o
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby skidsolo » 04 Oct 2006, 10:40

You may have a point Ozzie but I still feel that the local community has to be taken into account and not dismissed out of hand.

Yes we did enjoy our break. Good food, great weather, (apart from the storm on the second Sunday LOL) nice people,lots of reading and swimming. What's not to enjoy eh?

Yes it really is 'some place' Looking forward to next time already, in fact it is already provisionaly booked!!!!!!
skidsolo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Jan » 04 Oct 2006, 10:43

In September surely many of the visitors are returners. If they're the sort of people who hire cars they've probably done so on an earlier visit; most (in my experience) prefer to walk or use a taxi/day trip boat.

We found the traffic slightly less intrusive than in recent years; the cars didn't hurtle along the quayside *quite* as fast as before and there seemed not to be *quite* as many motorbikes. The latest fad seems to be the quad bike, which in narrow lanes is a pain, so let's hope it's a passing phase. That said, I'm a visitor not a resident (and not a great car fan at home either).
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Adriana » 04 Oct 2006, 12:16

Now that it is cooler people are more inclined to walk.

I suspect that even the most staunch members of the anti-vehicle lobby would balk at walking from the upper reaches of Chorio to Yialos or Pedi and back with niggling children at 45 degrees!... :idea:

Every day for a fortnight :?:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby bill » 04 Oct 2006, 12:48

:evil: :cry: :( People used to walk all the time, even in heat waves in the good olden days.
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Adriana » 04 Oct 2006, 13:12

Hmm. But if you translate that into your local environment, how keen would you be on walking to work in a blizzard... :twisted:

On another tack, one of the things that makes a holiday on Symi different to one on many of the other Greek islands is that all the accommodation is within the community and there are no designated tourist 'ghettoes'. Wholesale banning or limiting vehicle transport for tourists in the hot months of high season could have the knock on effect of encouraging more waterfront/shoreline development which, with Symi's limited coastline, could have serious environmental repercussions... :(
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Traffic..again!!

Postby Mille » 04 Oct 2006, 13:21

I still think public transportation is the keyword on Symi.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Symi Chat