Symi snaps

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Symi snaps

Postby Allan » 18 Jun 2006, 14:09

I've stuck a bunch of pictures from 2005 visits to Symi on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/symipix/

They are yet to be properly sorted and tagged but I thought they might help relieve the Symi-Blues for anyone missing the place :)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Symi snaps

Postby symivisitor » 18 Jun 2006, 23:12

They are amazing Allan! :D Will put a link on the 'Visitors' Photos' page, if that's OK.
symivisitor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Allan » 18 Jun 2006, 23:54

By all means Mike - I'm flattered!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Symi snaps

Postby Kon » 19 Jun 2006, 02:44

Great photos Allan ,i hope mine come out half as good as yours. 8-)

ETHO KAI TORA
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Sweet Sue » 19 Jun 2006, 20:23

Loved the photos Allan! Thanks.
Sweet Sue
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Ange » 19 Jun 2006, 21:17

Very good photos,Allan. Really capture the mood of Symi.
Love the Sunsets and the cats.

Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Allan » 19 Jun 2006, 22:05

Thanks for all the nice comments :oops:

I'm still uploading this year's pictures so check back in a few days (Ange, more sunsets and cats to come!).

Meanwhile... Any help with the names of some of the churches and people in the pictures would be appreciated.

Allan
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Symi snaps

Postby SamanthaF » 20 Jun 2006, 13:09

Lovely Pics Allan. Especially great as I won't be over this year.
Any goat pics?

Minister for Goats
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Glen » 20 Jun 2006, 15:57

Fab Pictures Alan. A am somenwhat spurred on now to get some of mine online as i have been meaning to do for far to long now
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby lindy » 20 Jun 2006, 18:45

absolutely stunnung, allan. feel as if i'm there already. roll on 1 july.

lugless douglas is my favourite, though.
lindy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Trailer » 20 Jun 2006, 19:37

Superb photos Allan. Absolutely wonderful. Really enjoyed them. Thanks!!
Trailer
Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Allan » 20 Jun 2006, 21:46

Lindy I'm glad you like Lugless he (she?) is a bit cute with the most amazing blue eyes. If you want to go looking for him he lives in Chorio.

Glen come on then, I showed you mine.... :o

Sam I'm sorry I don't have any good goat pictures which unforgivable since I appointed you Minister For Goats (I used to be "Al" but this board won't allow two letter names) so you'll have to make do with this grotty old scan for now.

[img]http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/8246/goatcropped3fq.jpg[/img]
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Symi snaps

Postby bill » 21 Jun 2006, 00:51

Mike,
has your Lemon Tree house been completed?
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Joanie » 21 Jun 2006, 13:04

Fantastic pictures Allan made me want to be there.Its a bit chilly here where i live at the moment, so it,s lovely to see some hot sun even if i can,t feel it. Joanie

BJBrown
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Anthony » 16 Oct 2006, 23:46

[quote="alan c."]

Is it my ageing eyes or is Pat's Bar not there (to the the left of the Katerinettes building)? In a photo in Bus Stop Symi, taken I guess in the 1960s, there is a also a gap site there. When was Pat's built?
[/quote]
One of my maps of Symi (no publisher's name apart from a tiny footnote saying [in Greek] 'Copyright Michalis Emm Arfaras') has on the back a detailed plan of Symi town claimed to be to a scale of 1:6100. It shows (or claims to show) every individual house and most of the streets, predating all the motor roads and has lots of open spaces where there are now buildings. For example between the bridge and the clock tower there are only two (large) buildings at the bridge end, presumably what is nowadays the National Bank of Greece and its neighbour, then a gap with only a scattering of tiny buildings until about half way along to the clock tower after which there's a major conglomeration.

I've often meant to try to match the things shown (and not shown) on this plan to what exists nowadays on the ground, what is quite clearly old and what is quite possibly new, but except in the obvious streets like Kali Strata (upper and lower), Kateraktis, what is now the asphalt road from Chorio square past Lemonitissa to St Nikolas, and of course the road round the harbour, it is difficult to relate the streets/alleys on the map to their modern day equivalents.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Glen » 17 Oct 2006, 12:43

[quote="Adriana"]

When we were sailing we used to develop our own slides on board as this was easier than film which obviously had to be printed. We had a gadget that fitted on the front of our regular camera into which one inserted slides which one could then photograph and have developed in the ordinary way. I wonder if there is a similar gadget for taking digital photos of slides...

:oops:
[/quote]

Yes they are available though quite expensive for a decent one.
I recently hired a slide scanner from a photo shop and spent a very long weekend digitising and cleaning up hundreds of old family slides
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Adriana » 25 Oct 2006, 14:27

Thanks, Glen. I suppose it counts as a bit of a niche market - but it could also be the kind of gadget that works its way quickly onto the sales tables or into the second hand shops as once you've 'done' all your slides you wouldn't necessarily want to keep it... ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi snaps

Postby Glen » 30 Oct 2006, 02:06

[quote="Adriana"]

When we were sailing we used to develop our own slides on board as this was easier than film which obviously had to be printed. We had a gadget that fitted on the front of our regular camera into which one inserted slides which one could then photograph and have developed in the ordinary way. I wonder if there is a similar gadget for taking digital photos of slides...

:oops:
[/quote]

I've got an attachment for my scanner which enables me to scan and digitise negatives, and supposedly it copes with slides too - though so far I've never tried. I must have a go and see whether it does indeed work. :)
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Symi Chat