Out and About

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Out and About

Postby Adriana » 29 Nov 2006, 12:53

Just emailed Mike some more Out and About photos to put up.

8-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby bill » 30 Nov 2006, 17:19

Can't anybody on Symi update the SV website with new information and pictures? It seems daft to email the pictures elsewhere, and the webmaster always seems so busy. :?:
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Out and About

Postby Adriana » 30 Nov 2006, 17:37

Hi Bill, even Mike Gadd had trouble updating the out and about pages from here on Symi during the summer as the system is so slow the server kept timing out. However the problems with the telephone lines finally seem to have been sorted out (as of about 10 minutes ago) and one of my little projects for the winter is learning how to do it from here on Symi, something I am looking forward to.

:oops:

Fingers crossed no lightning strikes!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby Adriana » 01 Dec 2006, 08:34

Now that the long awaited Out and About pictures are up you will all get the idea of what a November party on the sunny side can look like... Note short sleeves and summer dresses!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby Kon » 01 Dec 2006, 08:48

"AH THE LIFE" good company good wine and food and a beautiful place ,oh well i can only watch in envy. :geek: .Our first day of summer today ,overcast and about to rain :(
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby Kojak » 01 Dec 2006, 08:59

Dear me Kon, not content with annihilating us at cricket, you're now hogging the Brits favourite topic - the weather! A few spots of rain? We've now got howling gales, driving rain :cry: :cry: and brass monkeys are talking with high pitched voices! :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby Adriana » 01 Dec 2006, 08:59

Hi Kon,

From what we've been hearing about Australian droughts and water shortages, it sounds as though you need the rain!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby Kon » 01 Dec 2006, 12:55

Thats true water here is becoming a major issue ,problem is you have certain political parties such as Greenies that wont allow for new dams and water catchments to be built because of native grass areas.This problem started way before my time and no Goverment has yet done anything about it except put the blame on the house hold owner that we should be washing our dishes in the one tub ,shower all together dont water gardens even though we spent thousands of dollars on our garden and more .Some of the restrctions are fair but others are a joke ,we are an ever growing population and new estates are opening every week with thousands of new homes being built ,they have to use water dont they ,its a very touchy subject at the moment,i know of farmers who have properties 3 hours drive from my place and have 100 days of water left before they are forced to buy it.see Australia is a flat country and we dont have the mountains for the water to run down so it just sits and soaks into the ground.Someone said once that maybe we sould pump salt water in the dry lakes and it would attract the rain clouds :?: :?: Personaly i see us getting ships from New Guinea ,New Zealand and other countries sending us water in the very close future.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby Dave » 01 Dec 2006, 14:42

Two points, Kon.
1. I see no problem with showering together - Gail and I, that is. Sharing a room with Kojak or Oz Geoff might promote an arguement or two and a deepening interest in not bathing too much ! :D
2. If you start importing water from The Land of the Long White Cloud, on a good day when the fish is on the barbie and the beers are cold, you can pretend that you're on Symi importing your water from Rodos ! :geek:

Talk about a resevoir seems to have been going on just as long ! :?:
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Out and About

Postby Kon » 02 Dec 2006, 01:29

Just a thought does Symi have any water catchments ????And how are you dave hope all is well mate,hmmmm trying to picture a room with Geoff and Kojak i think the clear liquid would not be touched but the amber liquid would be overflowing(hooligans soup as we call it) :geek: :D :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Out and About

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 02 Dec 2006, 04:01

I'm not in my (alleged) twin's good books, Kon and Dave. I think I'd be spending the whole night on piquet. :o

You're right Kon, water is a huge problem and as you say new estates and luxury high rises are popping up all over the place. Imagine the water used per day in that huge luxury tower in Melbourne.
The Govt. fool us, the % of water used by private householders is something like 10%, the balance by industry. Go to any building site and taps are running and hoses left on to form muddy lakes and thats just a drop in the ocean...excuse the pun.
Successive state govts here in the west have been tossing the Ord River project around for decades. There is about 6 times as much water than is in Sydney harbour up there and it will never run dry. Bringing it down would open up the barren interior and turn it into a garden of eden. Naturally it would be mighty expensive but no Govt will take the bull by the horns. It would benefit the whole of Aust. and i for one would not mind paying, say $100 extra a year on my water bill. 100 bucks!!!!! Can you hear the great unwashed scream...thats 2 bucks a week..as they scoot down to the pub to pay 5 bucks a pint!
Don't get me started!!! :twisted:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Out and About

Postby Adriana » 08 Dec 2006, 11:54

Hi Kon,

Just seen your question about Symi water catchments. There have been on and off plans for a dam/reservoir for years but these have all failed so far for environmental and aesthetic reasons as it would be empty for most of the summer. Also geologically it would be a problem, as Symi is mainly limestone and extremely porous,so any dam would have to be lined with something to stop the water soaking away, and covered with something to prevent evaporation.

There is a spring at Vrisi, not far from my place, which is currently providing 400 tonnes a day to the local water supply thanks to the early rains.

Quite honestly, if we all continued to harvest the water from our roofs in the winter, not to mention the run off from the terraces, as they did in the old days, and regarded the water boat from Rhodes as a bonus instead of the main supply, we wouldn't do too badly. Even in a dry year we ourselves get more than 120 tonnes of water off our roof in the winter and never have enough cistern capacity to store it all! :o
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat