The View from my Window

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

The View from my Window

Postby Tove » 24 Jan 2007, 14:37

I think I have heard that Rhodos has several brolly factories and are famous for it. If you have been in Greece when it really is raining :cry: :cry: you would understand why.
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Allan » 24 Jan 2007, 18:48

Thanks for the information Tove. I didn't know about the brolly factories and it all makes sense now.

I've never experienced the winter downpours on Symi that Adriana describes, preferring to visit when the rain comes in short, sharp refreshing showers (if at all!). :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

The View from my Window

Postby Joanie » 24 Jan 2007, 23:00

Hi there MacDuff,I was also in Symi at the same time in Oct,i also bought an umbrella,and i really needed it.We sailed back to Rhodes on the 18th,and what a sail that was,i said never again,but i love the island so much it's worth it. Welcome.
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Ian » 25 Jan 2007, 14:28

Hi folks, we were there then and were evacuated on the Dodecanese Pride on the Tuesday(17th) evening. Certainly the roughest ride I've ever had in those waters(must have beeen gusting F9/10) and probably the most people being seasick at the same time. Must say we were all grateful for the skill of the helmsman and the balletic eforts of the cabin crew distributing and collecting sick bags. The video of a cookery programme was perhaps not the wisest choice of entertainment for the trip!
Ian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Joanie » 25 Jan 2007, 19:13

I was on the same one Ian,we were supposed to leave on the 18th but we had to go then.I was one of those who threw up the whole journey,iwas sweating,in fact i looked like i'de been in the shower fully clothed i've had a heart attack and i was'nt as ill with that as i was on that boat.I said never again,but i dont know,i love Symi
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 26 Jan 2007, 03:17

You're right, Joanie, sea sickness is a bloody awful thing. I have been so sick that if someone had given me a gun, I'd have shot myself...fair dinkum. :evil:

How are family settling in here? Its Australia Day today, thank God you Brits hoisted the flag, I don't fancy wearing clogs or munching on frog legs. :)
Could not be more "Aussie" in Perth today, its forecast to be 40+. Its only 11am and already the loonies are arriving at vantage points to view the 9pm fireworks extravaganza. :? No doubt there will be drunken brawls, like there are every year. Hello.....what in the hell do they expect hot weather + booze + hours of it. :o
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Adriana » 26 Jan 2007, 08:16

It takes me about 3 days to get my sea legs which means that sailing in the Med I'm normally green and incapable of going down below to so much as put the kettle on. :(

On long passages though it doesn't really matter - 3 days is nothing out of a 4 week passage and soon I'm baking chocolate cakes at 90 degrees of heel and wrestling with our stinky old paraffin stove, no problem. :D

Then we make a landfall, I lose my sealegs, and the whole process starts all over again... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Kon » 26 Jan 2007, 09:53

One of my uncles here in Australia owns an 80 foot trawler in which i have spent some time on when i was younger in the middle of bass straight let me tell you there are many shades of green i have pretty much been all of them ,that was until my uncle taught me how to overcome it and i too mastered my sea legs,we sometimes go out on it when the weather is good spending the night fishing and even having the BBQ on board.I cruised on one of our sea ferries from Melbourne to Tasmania which was another story even the 30 year experienced captain said it was one of the worst sea trips his been on. :o
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Joanie » 26 Jan 2007, 15:32

Hi there Geoff,she's still here 1 or 2 problems with the sale of her business itwill be in about 2wks she hopes,they should have been there on the 15th.Australia day yes i was talkin to my mate from school last night on msn and she was just on her way to a barbie she said it was very hot at the moment.I've not seen her for 45yrs she found me on Friends Reunited i did'nt even know she was in Aussie,so its nice,every night her name pops up on my screen so we always have a good chat bye for now Geoff hope you and your family's well
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 27 Jan 2007, 03:02

Hi Joanie, Great that you have caught up with an old friend. Where does she live?
Talk about hot yesterday...it was still 40+ at 7pm. :o
Bit of a drama at the fireworks, a barge caught fire which curtailed it somewhat. :cry: ...(we wish).
Going to be similar today....I think I'll forsake the racetrack. :twisted:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Joanie » 27 Jan 2007, 14:49

Hi Geoff,she lives in Brisbane(is it spelt right!!)she has been there a long time and has been to every main city and holiday resort in the country,and to Perth lots of times,she worked in the travel industry.She told me it's a beautiful place and that they will love it.I also have another friend in Perth who i've not seen for over 40yrs she lives in Gewelup i'll catch up with her when i visit,i dont know about the one in Brisbane thats a bit far,anyway she's coming to the uk in July so i'll see her then.
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby MacDuff » 02 Feb 2007, 01:06

It's February 1, clear blue sky, sun shining and only - 17C. This is the life?
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Adriana » 02 Feb 2007, 07:57

I think the drought has just broken. It is pouring with rain - the sort that hits the ground with such velocity that it bounces straight up again. :D :idea:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Kojak » 02 Feb 2007, 13:04

Bright blue sky here - even in Preston! No frost, not too cold..... It's more like April :?: :?:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 03 Feb 2007, 02:42

Not a leaf turns or a dog stirs as we climb to 40+. :geek:
Its just like Symi in July/August.. :o
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Kojak » 03 Feb 2007, 10:24

Did I say clear blue skies yesterday? The weather forecast this morning said bright sunshine - I wonder which country they were looking at! :cry:

[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/kojak-uk/images/3-picture1.jpg?0.1595039793585884[/img]
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Tove » 03 Feb 2007, 10:40

Denmark :D We got all your sunshine because it was pouring yesterday and the wind howling so I couldn't sleep this night. But now - sky nearly like on Symi - I wonder for how long, they promised winter again next week :(
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Kojak » 03 Feb 2007, 18:20

Can we have our sun back, please, Tove. It is still foggy here :( :(
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby Sweet Sue » 03 Feb 2007, 18:42

We've had clear blue skies and sunshine all day in Durham. Had a big family lunch today and ended up having coffee out in the garden .. I kid you not!
Sweet Sue
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

The View from my Window

Postby benedetti » 03 Feb 2007, 21:19

We had to rush out with the tables and chairs in the cafe garden. I even cooked Chicken Basque.. a summer dish.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Symi Chat