Mobiles on Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Glen » 30 Jan 2007, 03:09

Hi All

When I come to Symi this year, to cut down on my phone bills I want to buy a Greek Sim Card to pop in my phone and use while i'm there

Is there anywhere on Symi I can buy a "pay as you go" Sim card ?
If not, can you recommend somewhere on Rhodes I can get one on my way through.
What's the cheapest network provider ?
And finally, how do you top them up. Can it be done from a cashpoint like you can in the UK ?

thanks in advance

Glen
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 30 Jan 2007, 08:02

Hi Glen, I refuse point blank to get a mobile phone, even though my best mate is state director of a large providor.
Whilst they are a boon for business, I feel they should be left on the charger at home while on holiday. On holiday in Bali last Oct it was pathetic to watch all these poor souls jabbing at their phones and talking absolute clap-trap. :evil:
Hark back not that long ago when the wretched things were not an epidemic like they are now. We went on hols, told our kin where we were staying and the number in case of an emergency and happily hopped on the plane and off we went. Maybe a call home from a public pay-phone if we could be bothered just to see "how things were".
Our office or work-place would not dream of contacting us.
Think about it, mate. ;)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Adriana » 30 Jan 2007, 08:53

Hi Glen,

You can buy Vodafone A La Carte Sim cards on the island for about 20 euros which includes about 8 euros air time. There are at least 2 places on the island I can think of that usually stock them, otherwise if you have time to kill on Rhodes, pop into the Vodafone shop. You can buy cards for additional air time from the kiosks in units of 10 and 20 euros. This is either a scratch card or a printed slip depending on how sophisticated the kiosk is. I've been using this system for years.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Tove » 30 Jan 2007, 09:59

Hi Glen
I am using the Cosmocarta that I got from OTE on Symi. Same price as Vodafone but maybe it is a little more expensive in use. You can get the scratch cards in most of the kiosks. It is easy and works fine.
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Mille » 30 Jan 2007, 10:05

Just make sure, that your telephone isn's sim locked!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Glen » 30 Jan 2007, 11:58

Thanksd for the replies

My phone is unlocked and can take any type of SIM card

OG, if only life were that simple mate. When I'm on Symi I'm not just there for a holiday. I'm in the process of building a house which means i have a lot of people to speak to about the project and it costs a fortune for me to do it on a UK phone. I'm effectively calling Internationl even though the person i'm speaking to might be in Rhodes or elsewhere on Symi. Even if they call me, I get charged roaming fees :evil:
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Tove » 30 Jan 2007, 12:43

I had the same problem when we were building and getteing the greek sim card saved me from spending a fortune too. When they are calling from DK they use Skype - the internet connection - to the greek telephone and that is saving really a lot when my husband is in DK and I am on Symi
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 31 Jan 2007, 02:30

In that case you are forgiven, Glen. :geek:
You know those new fangled things, Blueberrys? They call them Crackberrys because they are so addictive. :twisted:
I can honestly say I have never thought "Gee, I wish I had a mobile!!"

Where are you building? Hows the progress? Ready for this summer?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Glen » 31 Jan 2007, 04:28

Blackberrys. Yes i have one. it's the Enterprise version rather than the private use version. Which means instead of attaching to a web mail account it replicates everything that appears on my Outlook account at work. journals, Appointments, Notes, Email etc.
Once you have one you are effectivly NEVER out of the office :(

[quote="Adriana"]

Speaking of bird flu, has the media frenzy kicked in yet over the dead turkeys in Suffolk? :cry:
[/quote]
Now that it is confirmed as the H5N1 strain, Europe's biggest outbreak so far, and in a 'farm' which contained 159,000 birds (just think how many more there must have been in the lead-up to Christmas!), the media might perhaps be excused getting somewhat excited. I haven't seen how the tabloid press are dealing with it, but even the Financial Times, in addition to a summary article on the front page, devotes one-and-a-half (broadsheet) pages to the outbreak albeit with one of the articles headlined Producers in fear but public at little risk. Needless to say, the animal rights brigade find this a heaven-sent opportunity: even the FT publishes a picture of protesters outside the farm with banners saying 'Factory Farming from Shell to Hell' and 'End Factory Farming before it ends us'. [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0051.gif[/img]
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Richard » 06 Feb 2007, 15:45

When I was very young, I used to have a Saturday morning job on a turkey farm. So that explains a lot. I was attacked by a turkey which gave me a slash across the face. I got my revenge ... I ate him. Revenge is a dish best eaten hot and I have enjoyed them ever since. There are other turkey producers apart from St Bernard. Try them.
There are worse risks. I see that Perth is being attacked by loads of sharks. I hope OG enjoys his morning swim. Will he frighten them away?
FT? Anthony, you never can trust these red-top scandal sheets.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Kojak » 06 Feb 2007, 23:09

I must admit that I never get tired of turkey. I enjoy turkey sandwiches for days after Christmas and do have the odd turkey breast joint during the year - particularly nice wrapped in smoked bacon :D :D . If only people living locally were as careful as Adriana. I was horrified to see on the news that poultry was still running around in the open air - and at least one owner seemed quite casual about the whole thing :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby MacDuff » 07 Feb 2007, 01:18

Moons ago in my past life in the U.K. we raised turkeys for the Christmas market. I hate recalling the killing method, much more difficult than chickens. :( Nowadays the poor things don't even get the excitement :oops: :?: of a natural sex life. Due to breeding for ever larger breasts (shades of Hollywood)the modern turkey is unable to perform :) Personally, I think that they are O.K. twice a year, Christmas and Thanksgiving, but they are so DRY - by the fourth day the only way to serve them is as rissoles. How about Adriana :) developing a recipe for them :D We could then serve it with her lemon chutney :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Richard » 07 Feb 2007, 11:46

IVF for turkeys? The mind boggles.
I like Mike's picture of the Lemon Chutney House as signature.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Kojak » 07 Feb 2007, 16:02

Really Richard - haven't you heard of a turkey baster? :twisted:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Richard » 07 Feb 2007, 23:13

I've upset enough turkeys already without attacking a recalcitrant hen with one of those things.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby MacDuff » 08 Feb 2007, 07:02

But that isn't a turkey sitting in the Lemon Chutney House :?: Perhaps one could be added to the picture :) Think of the view that the turkey would enjoy 8-)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Adriana » 09 Feb 2007, 07:56

I put a recipe for a lemon turkey dish in the same article that I did the lemoncello recipe, in the winter of 2005. I'll look it out and put it in the recipe section. :oops:

This year I pot roasted a turkey on top of the fire (the oven in the wood stove doesn't have enough head room for a turkey) and it was beautifully moist. :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Kojak » 09 Feb 2007, 08:24

I've done your lemon chicken before, Adriana and throughly enjoyed it :D :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Kojak » 10 Feb 2007, 17:02

The latest news about the bird flu outbreak suggests that the virus may have been carried by raw turket products imported from Poland. There was a suggestion that some of the suspect meat may have entered the food chain. I've noticed that there have been no postings for a while... is anyone alive out there? :o :o :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Mobiles on Symi

Postby Trailer » 10 Feb 2007, 17:25

[img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/jumping/jumping0044.gif[/img]

Well we're still all here and you and me Kojak. Can't speak for the rest. Anyway, turkey is

DISGUSTING!! [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0021.gif[/img]

You really do have to wonder these days just what are you buying and eating don't you?
Trailer
Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat