Photo album of Symi

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Photo album of Symi

Postby Kon » 23 Feb 2007, 07:03

I would love to see the photo album book of 80 years ago taken by Pahos the photographer
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby MacDuff » 26 Feb 2007, 05:06

Hey Kon! Do you really want to see what went on in the days of my youth :?:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby Bina » 27 Feb 2007, 13:36

That's a fine Scottish name, MacDuff.
Bina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby MacDuff » 28 Feb 2007, 00:04

Aye, lead on Bina :D
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby Bina » 28 Feb 2007, 17:09

Your name also reminds me of Homer Simpson:

:geek:
Bina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby MacDuff » 28 Feb 2007, 21:58

Oh yeah Bina :o Believe it or not, the name Simpson originates in the north east of Scotland - under Heath's :twisted: local government reform, now called Grampian :evil: Formerly, Aberdeenshire, Banffshire and Kincardine :) However, the Scots got their own back by providing (An)thony Blair as P.M. to be succeeded by one Brown. The Sassanachs should have left well alone :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby Bina » 02 Mar 2007, 12:52

I'm afraid that politics is not my subject, but I do know that the name MacDuff originates from the Kingdom of Fife ... from a time when Clan Chiefs ruled the land.
Bina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby Ross » 02 Mar 2007, 20:49

Clan MacPhee/MacDuffy and others such as Mahaffey Haffey MacAffie MacDuff are all variations of MacDubh****h son of the dark fairy.The chief's clan seat was on the Isle of Colonsay at Dun Eibhne.
The last Clan chief on Colonsay was executed by shooting at Balerominmor by the Campbells in the 1600's I think but would need to check.
your programme thinks I have included a swear word in the Gaelic spelling. the missing letters are s h i and t.
Ross
Starting Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 03 Mar 2007, 02:42

Its a very conservative page, Ross. :evil:
I believe its run by Quakers.. :o
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby Bina » 03 Mar 2007, 15:33

A lot of duff names in Scotland:

In 1759 William Duff, the Member of Parliament for Banff, was made Earl of Fife and Viscount Macduff. It was he who had commissioned the construction of the impressive Duff House in Banff in 1740.

The MacDuff clan motto is "Deus juvat" which means "God assists".
Bina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Photo album of Symi

Postby MacDuff » 04 Mar 2007, 23:46

I'm flattered that my "name" should invoke such interest :oops: Yes, one MacDuff sold the hunting lodge at Falkland in Fife to James IV subsequently James I of England. The lodge became Falkland Palace and is well worth a visit - National Trust of Scotland. Best food in Falkland is just across the road at an Italian restaurant. Its a nice drive to Anstruther where lies the best fish and chip shop in Scotland, the Anstruther Fish Bar - take the haddock! :) My eldest daughter with husband and two of my grandchildren lives on the High Street in Falkland. Yes, Duff House was designed by William Adam. If you look carefully at the facade, there is a substantial vertical crack beside the left tower. One of the Fife's married a daughter of Queen Vickie. The beautiful River Deveron skirts the grounds and about three miles upstream is the 17th century Bridge of Alvah. BUT. although Duff House is in Banff, just across the Deveron lies MACDUFF. The two towns are separated only by a bridge. Finally - you hope- :o Prior to Duff House, William Adam built Haddo House, Aberdeenshire seat of the Gordons (Marquess of Aberdeen) It is a somewhat more attractive building completed about 1730. Robert Adam the son, designed and built his first large house in 1762 - in Kent, Mersham-le-Hatch owned by the Knatchbull family. Now, for Ozzie Geoff's interest, the first invocation of the MacNaughton rules (Criminal insanity) were invoked in 1738 in Sydney Australia when one Knatchbull was tried for mudering his ozzie landlady with an axe! The plea did not work and Knatchbull was subjected to a public hanging outside Sydney Goal. :? :o :evil: 8-) :( . Trivia is interesting stuff :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat