Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 22 Mar 2007, 05:13

Liverpool Loo? I knew a prossie way back, Sorella. We called her LiLo Lil...she wasn't too clean but she sure was cheap!! :o :twisted:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Mille » 22 Mar 2007, 09:23

Anthony, Thank you for that history lesson.

It does not answer my question, but thanks anyway.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Allan » 22 Mar 2007, 18:28

I'm confused here too Mille.

[quote="Trailer"]

I lived and worked in London all though the IRA blitz and it made our daily lives hell. Believe me.[/quote][quote="Trailer"]

Peace and Irish is still a contradiction in terms to many people in the UK.
[/quote]

Trailer, some twenty seven people were tragically killed during the IRA bombing campaign in London. The Blitz killed over 43,000 in less than nine months.

Is "Peace and Germans" still a contradiction in terms to many people in the UK?
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MacDuff » 25 Mar 2007, 21:54

There is an obvious difference between wishful thinking and reality. The reality is that the IRA killings were deliberate acts. Tragic to reasonable beings, but not to the IRA! Over 1,000 British troops died in Northern Ireland, one of my sons-in-law did three tours of duty there. In Kent in August 1979, I had conversation with twin 14 year old boys. Ten days later, one of them was murdered in Eire, by the IRA. I was then involved in funeral arrangements for that child and his 82 year old grandmother, another murder victim. Between the murders and the funerals, an Irish friend came to me and said: "Neil, I want you to know that I am ashamed of being Irish." Was he wrong and the much larger number of IRA members right? A friend here in Canada regularly travels to Ireland as a mediator and voluntary part of General de Chastelaine's team. They recognise that there can only be a better future for the people of Ireland and Northern Ireland by recognizing the realities of the past. If wishful thinking sufficed, the challenges would have been resolved long ago.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby benedetti » 27 Mar 2007, 17:16

As Trailer pointed out this is dangerous ground. I am pleased that Paisley and Adams are at least sitting down to talk.

On the matter of the rise of popularity for the IRA we need only look to Bloody Sunday in the 1970's when the Paras shot down in cold blood 26 civil rights protesters. We have an uncomfortable relationship with Ireland to say the least.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 28 Mar 2007, 06:24

As Churchill said: "Talk, talk, talk is better than war, war, war." All of us hope that the news of yesterday regarding Adams and Paisley is correct. I had been unaware that the IRA had a rising popularity. But yes, Ireland became very dangerous ground for troops (who were NOT in Eire but in Northern Ireland) and for the ordinary citizens. An interesting observation is that here in Canada we have immigrant Irish people both protestant and catholic, who can sit in a pub named O'Byrnes and drink and talk together. We also have had arranged visits by children of both denominations staying here for periods of a month. Although unable to mix at home in Northern Ireland, after a few days here, they get on perfectly well together. Was my friend wrong - his surname was McCarthy and he was an Irish graduate? What has been gained by the carnage? I know that that fourteen year olds twin is now 42 years old. What did the IRA gain? Why was knee capping to maintain control of their members necessary? There are a lot more questions than answers regarding the Irish dimension. It is now 38 years since "the troubles", arose. That is half a lifetime, so let us hope that some degree of tolerance will eventually make life liveable for people in Northern Ireland.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Trailer » 28 Mar 2007, 15:05

Yes Benedetti, which is why I decided to leave it alone, not least of all because what you say on here is censored by at least one person who doesn't know or understand the history. But I will say it beggars belief that someone can draw a comparison with WW11 and the Irish situation. I don't like censorship, so I'll say no more.
Trailer
Visitor

Postby Mille » 24 May 2007, 19:22

I was thinking..( a real chok to some, I know! :twisted: )

What was life like for a Symi woman 100 years ago?
Both wealthy and poor...
How did they live, dress and what was the houses like inside?

Many of the houses I've seen from inside seem to have two livingspaces, one downstairs and one upstairs.
Was the upstairs one, for the "sunday visits" or did the younger generation live upstairs, downstairs or?

I hope some of you can help me out here, as I find it very interesting compared to the living of Danish women 100 years ago.

Thank you
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kojak » 24 May 2007, 19:41

Contrary to rumours, Mille, I am NOT 100 years old so I'm afraid I can't help you.... :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Mille » 24 May 2007, 19:52

Kojak wrote:
[quote="Mille"]

Trailer, not me.
I just wrote "Earth"... Not going into the Irish/ UK political dispute!
[/quote]
With respect, Mille, it's not an Irish/UK dispute: the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom have been on very friendly relations for some years now, since the Republic gave up its claim that Northern Ireland was properly part of the Republic and accepted this was really a matter for the people of Northern Ireland themselves to decide. In recent years the Republic and the UK have jointly been working very hard to try to broker an acceptable solution.

The dispute is of course between the Protestant and Catholic inhabitants of Northern Ireland (which technically is a part of the UK), played out viciously in the past - eg between the IRA and their Protestant equivalents. The British government's role was essentially to try to enforce the rule of law in the Province and to keep the (literally) warring sides apart. :o

And with a deadline of I think next Monday the Protestants are still in the process of deciding whether following recent elections they are prepared to share power with the Catholics in a Northern Ireland parliament or whether having no Northern Ireland parliament but instead direct rule from Britain is a less unacceptable option. :evil:
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Symi Chat