Postby Richard » 17 May 2007, 20:41

What cables, Adriana?

[img]http://www.firestation.org.uk/may17.jpg[/img]
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Kojak » 17 May 2007, 22:24

Quel smart**** Richard. I've found that almost every panoramic view I wanted to take from Chorio seemed to have an elctricity pole and/or cables in it.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Glen » 23 May 2007, 13:52

[img]http://www.symivisitor.com/glensgallc.jpg[/img]

This shot I took a few years back also had cables strewn across it. I couln't get an angle that didn't include them so I removed them.
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Joanie » 23 May 2007, 16:44

How do you do that Glen,i'm hopeless with computers,i dont really know why i'm asking cos i dont even know how to put a photo on here
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Glen » 27 May 2007, 15:03

You need a photo editing package such as photoshop or Paintshop pro .

You are essentially taking small areas from elesewhere in the picture ( a bit of brick, A bit of sky, etc) and "cloning" them over the offending area.
This takes a bit of patience and time as you usually have to do only a small area at a time. If you try to copy too large an area in one go it can look obvious and as distracting as what you where trying to remove in the first place
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Kojak » 27 May 2007, 15:15

It does take a lot of patience, Glen. I remember the early days of computer authoring when graphics software wasn't so sophisticated. Pixel by pixel editing.., eyes blurring at the end of the day.... :evil:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby SueO » 27 May 2007, 15:29

You're right about the need for patience Glen but it's worth the effort. It's a job for the depths of winter when sitting in front of the computer in a warm study (bedroom actualy) becomes a welcome option.

Joanie - I use several different photo editing packages which are all good in their own way. If you don't have a program to do the job and don't want to shell out for something you may not be able to get on with, try Serif. You can download their older programs free (that's how I got mine) and I find them really useful. I don't want to be accused of advertising so won't post the web site details but I'm sure if you search 'Serif' you'll find it. Beware though, it can become addictive!
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Richard » 27 May 2007, 18:55

It certainly does become addictive. I've been using Serif for many years and that is what happened to my photo at the top of this page. No, I hadn't been out in the middle of the night and cut the cables down. If you want the free software (I can't remember the latest free version) try
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Adriana » 23 Jun 2007, 12:18

Yesterday afternoon, as I was looking through the window at Rhea, a local 'tall ship' it struck me that the only thing that placed the view firmly in the 21st century instead of the nineteenth was the power cables running in front of the windows! ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby maziemoo » 23 Jun 2007, 15:52

Well Adriana I just think the views are stunning, cables or not, but then I guess I'm biased :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Given some of the monstrosities I see outside my office window, if cables are the only imposition on Symi, then I reckon they've done pretty good to keep it that way.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Overhead cables

Postby Adriana » 23 Jun 2007, 17:55

I've had a lot people photographing 'my' cherubs this week too :oops:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat