Curfew

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Curfew

Postby tich » 28 Jun 2007, 17:10

Arrived back from Symi yesterday ......
Had a great time again. With great company.
BUT I feel I need to ask a question ....
Why do people ignore the curfew time for moving vehicles around the harbour ? I appreciate that there has to be some leeway for certain vehicles and professions but, yet again, the minority are ruining it for everybody else.

The barrier does remove a lot of traffic form the harbour road but alot of the kids are now 'whizzing' round the back streets. It is only a matter of time before somebody gets hurt !! Maybe it will take more than a 'slap on the wrist' to deter two of the lads in question. One riding a red 'chicken chaser', perofrming wheelies outside Pat and Alis aided by the speed 'pimples'. The other being the one that rides the white Quad bike !!
Both without helmets !!

Any views out there ?
tich
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Curfew

Postby maziemoo » 28 Jun 2007, 17:36

As I read your posting Tich, I had to smile.

It reminded me of something Adriana wrote about a few days ago about how the law was being enforced down in Yialos re wearing of helmets and use of mobile phones whilst driving.

I say smile because I wondered quite how the family of 5 on one motorbike (3 adults, 2 children) that I saw during my last visit might have been dealt with.. not to mention the youngsters who I would estimate to be around 10 or 11 years old doing wheelies down in Pedi...oh and I just remembered the motorbike with 3 adults, a black (full) bin liner and a crate of ??beer on the front. None of these folk were wearing helmets but given the desciptions I've just mentioned not sure lack of helmets would have necessarily been seen as the worst crime :?: .

I tend to think of it as quaint but I guess the reality is that it's rather fool-hardy :evil: .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Curfew

Postby Kon » 29 Jun 2007, 03:10

"The other being the one that rides the white Quad bike" !! Yes Tich i remember him too zooming past us at warp speed :o I think Adriana said he was the Postman :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Curfew

Postby MacDuff » 03 Jul 2007, 04:46

I am not terribly bothered about people risking there own lives and limbs :o BUT, the installation of equipment measuring Pndb and fining those vehicles (read motorbikes) :idea: by the police and active pursuit of the owners exceeding declared levels, might help :evil: Those noisy vehicles are perhaps the biggest single threat to the well being of Symi's tourism revenues :) The island doesn't have a lot of alternative revenue sources :?
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat