Back Home.

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Back Home.

Postby Jerry » 23 Jul 2007, 12:03

Home again after a fantastic week on Symi. The weather was wonderful,
realy hot and not a cloud in the sky for the entire time. Only draw back to the heat was the limit to the walking time possible to be sensible in the temperatures as noon approached. Gave us the justified excuse for an early start to the day and an early lunch. As always Mythos or 2 in a glass out of the freezer is the best way to recover from the exertions of a climb up the Kalkadema and back down to Yalios via the old path from below the army post.
The long hot days relaxing with not a care in the world and the only decisions to make are shall we have a beer, wine or Retsina make up for all the hassles of daily toil. Even in the evenigs decisions have to be made, were shall we eat tonight, spoilt for choice by the options available with so many to choose from. As with most, we have our favorites which draw us back time and again, but we alwaysd make sure we go to somewhere different each trip to Symi. This only adds to the choices for the future.
For those who have been this year, happy memories, and for those yet to go, it is well worth the wait. 11 months and 3 weeks to go to our next trip to Symi as we are only going once this year. The Sporodese call in September.
Jerry
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Back Home.

Postby maziemoo » 23 Jul 2007, 12:51

Ahhh.... Jerry it sounds idylic :geek: :( :) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Kojak » 23 Jul 2007, 16:38

Pleased you had a good time Jerry. I was girding my loins ready to have a good, super-smug gloat that your holiday was over and I had mine to look forward to - then you ruined it all by mentioning the Sporades in September! :evil:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Jerry » 23 Jul 2007, 16:50

Kojak, I know you are looking forward to your Symi visit, but super-smug gloat!!!!!!! never, can't believe that.
Jerry
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Joanie » 23 Jul 2007, 19:50

You make it sound as wonderful as it is Jerry.Glad you had a good time :( :(
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Jerry » 24 Jul 2007, 10:35

Joanie, as always it was wonderful, that is the magnet that draws us back year after year. For 9 years we have been going to Symi once or twice a year, even 3 times one year. We have been doing 2 island trips alternating yearly, with, sailing around the islands on flotilas or chartering.
Each time we look at other islands we still come to the conclusion we cannot miss our Symi trip at least once a year.
Jerry
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Back Home.

Postby maziemoo » 24 Jul 2007, 11:33

I know what you mean Jerry. I'm not especially well travelled from the point of view of experiencing many different countries but Greece has always been in my heart and soul and I've never fully understood where that came from, but I always knew it's where I wanted to visit long before ever I started travelling...I was a later starter!

There are several other countries on my wish list, however I discovered Symi in May of 2007 and I've been back twice since with a return trip planned for later in the year :mrgreen: .

Part of me says I should go explore other places but I can't help feeling they may be a disappointment after Symi. This beautiful island fulfills so many things for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

I can find peace and solitude if I want it :!: . The view from my apartment balcony means I can feel a part of the hustle and bustle of Yialos too 8-) , but I can also enjoy the benefit of the company of so many wonderful people who either live on or visit Symi :geek: .

Plus the Symi Visitor helps me to understand something of the everyday life of the island and it's folk so that I don't just get the view of someone there on holiday :( .

One of my favourite pastimes is to just sit and observe everyday life there....I kind of get the feeling that what I see, is what I get :) .

You can't begin to imagine how depressed I feel when I set foot back in the UK :( . I know I shouldn't be so negative about my own country but these days I feel like a square peg in a round hole and time spent on Symi only serves to remind me of that.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Kon » 25 Jul 2007, 03:31

Yep i agree Maziemoo everytime i come back home its so depressing :cry: ,worst part about holidays is the return trip but thanks to technology we have videos photos and the internenet to keep in touch with our little part of paradise.Maybe next time i will forget the return airfare. :twisted:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Adriana » 25 Jul 2007, 07:08

I have an enamelled plate off a yacht that says 'It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.' :oops:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Jerry » 25 Jul 2007, 10:27

As a variation on a well known saying, "It is better to have been and returned than never to have been"
This year only 6 rolls of film used, they will be in for processing ready for the customary Saturday night viewing accompanied by a bottle of Retsina.
Jerry
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Joanie » 25 Jul 2007, 19:59

I could'nt have put it better Mazie,everything you say is true its a wonderful place,you just fall in love with it,and coming on here makes you feel part of it when your back home.Do you have the same apartment everytime? :) :) :)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Ange » 28 Jul 2007, 00:49

Hi,

You've described just what Symi is to us as well. We first went in June 2004, went back in September as well. Was like coming home!

Everyone is so friendly and remembered us from our weeks visit in May!

2005 we tried a few other islands, they were nice, but hadn't got what drew us to Symi, the feeling of belonging.

Last year we returned to Symi for a week. This year we haven't been able to visit but I look at this website some evenings and it keeps it real, seeing and reading about people we know and a place that feels like home.

Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Back Home.

Postby MacDuff » 30 Jul 2007, 02:00

Yes Kon :) The Europeans don't have that substantial additional flying cost which we "colonials" have to bear. Wish I could just pop over to Symi for a week. My route involves Edmonton/Winnipeg/Gatwick then a night in Horley and similarly on the way back home. Although I have to say that coming home in May I found a nice pub :geek: in Horley where I had very nice roast duck :D - I guess the breeding conditions in the U.K. for wildfowl are improving!
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Back Home.

Postby maziemoo » 30 Jul 2007, 12:15

My first visit in May 2006 was with Laskarina Joanie. Friends and I stayed halfway between Yialos and Chorio in a lovely old fisherman's house called Villa Simos :) .

However when I returned in September, I was travelling alone and so my accommodation needs were different. After discussion with the Laskarina office, I was recommended Makrakis Studio which for me is perfect :) . I like something that isn't part of a complex and offers a degree of privacy whilst being close to everything I need.

With the demise of Laskarina last year :( , I have kept in touch with Frances :) who now works for George Kaladoukis and it's been possible to access the same accommodation :D , in fact George has upgrated my apartment since my first visit :D . I believe he has done quite a lot of work on properties over the winter months.

Anyway I can thoroughly recommend them :) ...they are friendly and efficient and I think accommodation is fairly priced for what you get :) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 31 Jul 2007, 05:22

I think you'll find that the duck may have come from either Romania or Bulgaria, MacDuff!! :?:

Maziemoo, where are the Makrakis studios? Its pretty hard to find single accomodation on Symi. Do you do the accomodation as part of the package or arrange it independently?
Could you send me a private message with the approx. weekly tariff? Thanks. :mrgreen:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Richard » 31 Jul 2007, 10:59

A night in Horley? Oh I am sorry, MacDuff. I can see that this would be a major snag in your trip. Where or what is this nice pub? How have I missed it? Tell me more.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby maziemoo » 31 Jul 2007, 12:59

OG just to let you know I've sent you a private message re accommodation.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby Richard » 31 Jul 2007, 13:03

I've just sent you an email as well.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby maziemoo » 31 Jul 2007, 13:11

Sorry OG, meant to say Makrakis is just one terrace back from the harbour towards the fuel station end. It means you get the benefit of being close to local amenities without being in the thick of it. It can be a little noisy when the water tanker is in at night :( ) but like most things you get used to it.

As you say single accommodation is hard to find and especially at a reasonable price. There are two studios known as Up (fabulous harbour views - mine :) :) !) or Down (large sun terrace - with views :) )and a larger adjoining apartment (excellent harbour views :) ) but all have their own entrance :) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Home.

Postby MacDuff » 01 Aug 2007, 01:12

Richard: when passing through Gatwick, I stay B and B Fiona Stimpson picks up at the airport and drops off also within the charge. It's at 19 Church Road, and the pub is about 400 yds away, can't remember the name, but it has several draft bitters :geek: Bulgarian or not, the duck OG was excellent 8-) Prior to my Symi visit in May, I searched the various sites for single accommodation and found: Green Door E43: Zoe's apartment E60: Loft House E35: Front studio in Padi E48: Lemonitisa studio E45: Villa Wookie E60 OdyssiaE50 Margarita's E45. I stayed at a lovely studio at the Fiona. Cost a bit more, but perfect Chorio location :)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat