New Taverna

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

New Taverna

Postby Tove » 09 Aug 2007, 12:33

Just want to tell all of you going in September about a "new" taverna. The old Daphne, owned by the late Steven and Mike, has being taking over by Stavros from Mythos and an Italian cook, which name I don't recall and is now named "Muses". Its very good, same standard and prices as Mythos, but different dishes, very delicious :D . Give it try if you want to spoil yourself 8-)
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Kon » 09 Aug 2007, 12:36

Sounds good Tove , i guess it will specialize in Italian cuisine?? :geek:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Richard » 09 Aug 2007, 13:27

Excellent news. We will certainly try it. Where is it? I can't remember where the Daphne is. I wouldn't bet on Italian food, Kon, Stavros always tended towards a mixed, international menu.

Nice avatar, Tove. One of your patients?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Adriana » 09 Aug 2007, 14:06

Actually Stelios is from Argentina although his grandparents were Symiots so the influence would be more Spanish than Italian. :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 09 Aug 2007, 15:41

Hey Richard, its opposite the town hall on the town square in yailos.
Right next to "The Glafkos" my "home" on Symi. :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

New Taverna

Postby bill » 09 Aug 2007, 16:04

Stavros said that he was trying to produce a menu based on ancient Greek recipes, and give them a twist.
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Tove » 09 Aug 2007, 17:12

Yes Bil, he tried but it came out a little expensive so he changed it a little. You can get not quite mezes, butter smaller dishes and share them like allways, sso you can try a lot. Sorry Adrian, I had forgotten Stelios name, but he certainly had put his sign on the dishes too. Its international, not Spanish or Italian, but they try some of the old greek recipes. I will definitely go back in September. :D
My avatar is from the list, the nearest I could come my Symi cat, which is very much alive here in DK 8-)
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Taverna

Postby benedetti » 09 Aug 2007, 17:48

See you there in September Tove... Has Stavros kept the old place going too?
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Tove » 09 Aug 2007, 20:40

Sure, he has both the old Mythos, now mostly lunch taverna but open in the evenings too with fish, but in the season he has the new Mythos( the old Acteon a little more up the road) where he is himself with all the old dishes epsecially Mezes.
Where do I meet all your people, I'm not often down in Yialos and don't know how you look like :idea: . I think it might be a topic for Mike to get some pictures but I'm not sure everybody want it :?: :?: ?
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Kon » 10 Aug 2007, 01:53

Symi has some great places to take your taste buds for a test drive ,me personaly the simplar the food the tastier it was. :) Cakes well what can i say i even took some back to Rhodes,and not to mention the Symi buscuits,my wifes cousin who was in charge of some army group in Symi took some back to Crete and so Symi tastes were not far from us where ever we went.Can't wait for the next trip i will be doing the Homer Simpson in all the restaraunts :D :geek:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Taverna

Postby maziemoo » 10 Aug 2007, 11:17

Thank you for that recommendation Tove, I will certainly bear it in mind when I visit in September :) .

On a slightly different subject, do you know yet what the arrangements are for registering our interest in helping out during Symi vet week in October? I helped Martin for a day last year and would really like to get involved again, if you'll have me.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Tove » 10 Aug 2007, 13:20

Sure, of course we will have you :D . When I am coming down in September, we will start the planning for the week and ALL hands are wellcome. This year we will have two vets, Martin and Magda, a young Italian vet whos house we will use for clinic. She is staying in backside of the harbour, just below the helichopter place, a long way up the stairs but you can take the road behind the square to it. Because of that we will need a lot of hands :idea: catching bringing and supporting in the clinic.We have not been in that area so much so I think it is needed. Other areas is needed too but in the harbour front it looks like we have done enough, they are nearly short of cats now.It is needed that we don't take all the cats, some of them should take the rats and this year there are many. So its a balance.This year we will try to catch some of the stray dogs, there's a lot of them now, but that might not be so easy.
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Taverna

Postby MrsMcS » 10 Aug 2007, 14:35

Sounds good, must give it a try
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Taverna

Postby bill » 10 Aug 2007, 17:31

Hi Tove,
when did he change the menu, as he only told us about the old menu 3 weeks ago?
Thanks.
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

New Taverna

Postby Tove » 11 Aug 2007, 11:17

Hi Bill. We never tried the old one, it was too expensive. I guess it must have been around three weeks ago. We was together with Jimmi, his son, who told us. Jimmi is working at Muses here in the summer but going back to DK in late August. It is not much changed but adjusted a little, in prices too.
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Symi Chat