Gosling on Crutches

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Richard » 06 Jan 2008, 12:09

Thanks, Jenine, I knew I'd seen them somewhere but couldn't remember where. I had got myself a bit confused with the years. Glad to see the Bliary is continuing.

No, Anthony, we hadn't forgotten Rhiannon. Watching her hop down the steps above Lefteris' on one leg was a humbling experience.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Kojak » 06 Jan 2008, 12:32

Hmm, there seems to have been a spate of plastered limbs lately - Clare, Neil... These things are supposed to come in threes. Fortunately (for me anyway) I'm unlikely to be the third... :idea:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Mille » 06 Jan 2008, 12:34

Rhiannon, Clare and Neil... One, two, three...
I think you're safe Kojak :twisted:
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Eleanor » 06 Jan 2008, 20:27

eh, i dont seem too be very good at this, what am i doing wrong
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Richard » 06 Jan 2008, 20:36

What are you trying to do?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby SymiDream » 06 Jan 2008, 21:01

Well hello! James here. Am using the Plaza hotel's (hopefully free) internet service, glass of ouzo on the go and wrestling with a Greek keyboard, so there's two reasons for typos!

First of all: a huge THANK YOU from Neil and I for the kind messages both here and on our site. I was very moved when I realised that it is at times like these you find out just how many people care about each other.

So: today's news is that he's feeling much better, not completely pain free but better than yesterday which was dreadful. He is now able to get up and hobble about on crutches. There will be photos (though not of the SymiDream bed pan service) and more details on symidream when we get back - and that's another story. He had split his heel bone in two or somesuch, has a ring of spokes into the shin joined to one above the ankle and some other buisiness going on and into the foot which I just missed seeing this morning - next time the dressings are off he will take a pic. Sick.

He may be let out avrio and if that's early enough we could get the 2pm hydrofoil - Rhiannon says that although there are two big steps there are only the 2, not like on the bigger boats that have loads (impossibble in Neil's case as the whole contraption is the size of a 1971 'Moon Boot' and weighs as much as two adult male sea lions) - and the Spanos catamarans, though with less steps, can be slippy and the next possible one isn't till Thursday... If you have read this far then you're hooked so I will carry on...

If it's parole on Tuesday then we'll be here until the hydro on Wednesday. The Plaza is becoming my second home (and they give a good rate for folk from Symi, nice breakfast and very big ouzos at a sensible price.)

The scafold (which sadly is actually metal, Allan, though the wooden image made me laugh) will stay on for about two months and will then be dismantled bit by bit. But Neil is aiming to be open (I mean his shop) by the start of the season and in the meantime work from home as much as possible.

Actually the hospital is my second home as I'm there 10 hours a day at the moment and have met many interesting people. Including: some of Georgio taverna's family, Damianos (new cake shop and taverna) and his wife, Yianni rainbow's daughter just had another baby so bumped in to some of them and various folk from Rhodes who were from Symi - in fact Neil tonight had the very Greek experience of a... (what's the collective noun for this... be careful here James...) a "fuss" of Greek ladies around his bed offering sympathy though not the truck load of goodies they had bought to over feed the man opposite.

Well, I should get back to my room and the evening movie - need an early night as have to go to the TEVE office in the morning to do paperwork for the treatment so will probably be carted off to the loony bin by midday myself!

Seriously, many many thanks for your messages - particularly the one that said it was nice to see our two sites working toegther in a positive way. (Sorry, can't remember where I saw that nor from whom it came.)(Added later: it was Mazimoo, have an extra star dear! J)

And yes, I am planning a sequel to Symi 85600... when I get time. :evil:

James (who hates his other name but don't tell my mother - she's already unhappy with me as I've had to cancel mine and Neil's part in our family trip to Australia to see brother: planned/booked/paid for for February - though she's still going, game old bird.

Kalinixta!
SymiDream
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby maziemoo » 06 Jan 2008, 22:37

It was good to hear that our Neil is coming along nicely :D , it sounds like it's really been quite an ordeal for both of you, obviously in very different ways, but one thing I've noticed in all the photos on the Symidream website, is that despite his predicament and the undoubted pain he will be in, Neil has still got a smile on his face...in fact that's exactly how I remember him...always smiling :D . You both amaze me at how upbeat you are about it all....no doubt that's why we all feel so drawn to you both :) .

I wish you both a safe journey back to the island on Neil's discharge from hospital and look forward to hearing about his progress :) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Anthony » 06 Jan 2008, 23:27

[quote="jenine"]

Hi Anthony - Happy New Year
The pics from NYE are on Symi Dream [before the catastrophe!]

[/quote]

Hi, Jenine - Happy New Year to you too, and many thanks for the link to the pics. Am I imagining it, or did I actually see Pat there in some of the photos?

I'm currently planning my next trip to Symi in late March / early April - look forward to seeing you then
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Kojak » 07 Jan 2008, 00:15

Thanks for the update James - good to hear that Neil is making progress. I can sympathise with the pain bit. Several years ago I shattered my wrist into gravel sized bits and that's now held together with Meccano bits and screws. When I came round from the operation my first words were "something for the pain"! It does get better. You'l have to begin searching for a leg shaped long plastic bag for shower duties. Give my regards to Neil!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Dikissi » 07 Jan 2008, 00:51

I guess life really does go on and I thought Symi shut down after the last tourist boat of September.

Okay so maybe I am a little sour that I can't live in Symi and I can't live without talking about Symi.

I got a story here about a kabyia that I really wrote trying to be funny.

Could somebody please light a candle for me at Stavro
Dikissi
Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Kon » 07 Jan 2008, 13:01

"And yes, I am planning a sequel to Symi 85600... when I get time."

Fantastic news James my wife and i loved the first 85600 cant wait for the next one. :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Anthony » 08 Jan 2008, 00:44

[quote="Kojak"]

You'l have to begin searching for a leg shaped long plastic bag for shower duties. [/quote]

I had an operation on my foot a few years ago, after which the foot and leg were in plaster for over 6 weeks. No question of a shower, with or without a long plastic bag: I was ordered to take only baths, and keep the plaster dry by hanging that leg over the side of the bath. [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0092.gif[/img] The problem was thatit was the leg which normally stays on the wall side of the bath. I had to get used to lying in the bath the 'wrong' way round, with my back up against the taps. [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0024.gif[/img]
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Kyriako » 08 Jan 2008, 22:30

You poor chap - that can't've been pleasant :cry:

It's just as well you have a bath at all - some houses and flats don't even have them these days!
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Kojak » 09 Jan 2008, 01:57

I found that a robust plastic bag and some elastic worked well enough as a seal if you showered carefully. The usual showers in Symi are better for this than the fixed ceiling type.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby MacDuff » 09 Jan 2008, 07:22

I share everyones concerns for and best wishes to, Neil and Toby. I was particularly concerned to learn that it was the heel bone. as a result of sporting activity I have some experience of bone breakage. Legs heel fast , but I knew a fellow who broke both heel bones and he was off work for three months - virtually immobile - much more serious that a leg break. Sorry to be depressing, :( I can only hope that Neil can be placed in his usual chair at the Rainbow and allowed to sit and sup ouzo as he supervizes the passing world :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Adriana » 09 Jan 2008, 08:08

Fortunately as most Greek housewives roll up and pack away their rugs and carpets in the summer every Symi supermarket sells packets of long tubular plastic bags for the purpose - ideal for protecting a leg in plaster! :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Kojak » 09 Jan 2008, 11:53

Having had a few broken bones in my time (this shouldn't surprise anyone) a long knitting needle is essential in the later stages to alleviate itching. Always use one with a "bobble" on the end though. - every fracture clinic has tales of objects lost down plasters! :idea:

Every Greek will tell you of the medicinal uses for ouzo - internal and external - it should on on prescription really! :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Allan » 09 Jan 2008, 16:16

Neil promised to wave for the webcam as he set his one foot back on Symi soil but I think we may have missed the momentous event, even with the webcam refresh set to 15 seconds.

There's probably a limit to how long he can wave without falling over. :?:

One of the blurred figures below could well be the man himself - judge for yourself.

[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2292/crop2xa1.jpg[/img]
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Gosling on Crutches

Postby jenine » 09 Jan 2008, 16:36

He is safe and sound in his house, thank goodness. Its worse than having children!!
jenine
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Gosling on Crutches

Postby Kojak » 09 Jan 2008, 16:41

It could be worse Jenine - at least you don't have to change his nappy! :(
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Symi Chat