Visiting Symi this year

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Kojak » 01 Jul 2008, 23:11

Definitely the journey from Hell, Colette. I'd be tempted to be amused but I'm travelling with Olympic in September!. Having said that, I've never had any problems with the flight before (hope I'm not tempting fate here!). I suspect that it was a replacement plane brought in at short notice - at least you weren't delayed for hours. Regarding the transfer, I've had trouble with Rhodes Olympic reps before. I now make a point of reminding them that we have a ferry to catch if time seems tight. The difference between them and the Blessed Katja on Symi was very obvious! How is Marcia?
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Anthony » 02 Jul 2008, 00:27

O.M.G. Colette, what a dreadful journey!! [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0137.gif[/img] [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0160.gif[/img] [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad0137.gif[/img]

I certainly hope I never have to eperience anything like that! [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0064.gif[/img] [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0064.gif[/img]
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby maziemoo » 02 Jul 2008, 14:18

My flight to Rhodes and back with Easyjet earlier this year was excellent :D . Initially I had some serious reservations as originally I'd booked with British Airways (�99 return flight) who then sold the GB Airways franchise to Easy jet....but I was honestly impressed with the efficiency of the operation :) .

There's some very strange stuff going on with Monarch at the moment, can't divuldge how I know that, but take it from me there is. They consist of a group of other well known tour operators who at best appear to be having some real teething problems :evil: due restructuring of the organisation.

[quote="Mille"]

:o
That is what I see in the "soap" they show on one of the commercial networks here. I believe it's called Easy Jet.

You did make it home safely, didnt you?
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Jan » 02 Jul 2008, 14:55

The Flightline MD83 'relief' act isn't restricted to Monarch. We returned to Gatwick on the very same plane (Flightline only has one of them) from Heraklion (Crete) on 10 June instead of the XLA plane we were expecting. No reason given for the 2+ hours delay or the change of plane; exactly the same scrum onboard as Colette experienced with the 5-seats-no-seat-B arrangement; no booze; no 'entertainment', not that the latter was any great loss.

For our September Symi trip we have EasyJet (but booked ages ago as GB Airways) �99 return for 17 days flights. Our fingers are crossed, but when it comes down to it, Rhodes Airport is Rhodes Airport. Rivals Heathrow for the 'welcome to the Third World' experience.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Colette » 02 Jul 2008, 14:58

Thnaks Mille, the journey home from the airport went like clockwork and a bottle of wine was swiftly opened within 2 seconds of opening the front door.Thanks for removing my extra posts, I went a bit mad when pressing the send button!I also lost my sense of spell by the end of my marathon post.

Kojak, Marcia is alive and well and working hard in Zakynthos,well so she tells me.Whilst at at Numborio one day last week I overheard some Kosmar guests extolling her talents as a rep and there were a few at the airport saying "we wouldn't have a rep problem if Marcia was still here". Not bad considering she's worked in Crete, Pelion and Zakynthos since leaving Symi in the summer months!I agree with you about the wonderful Katya. Without going into the Olympic rep problems on Symi, if it wasn't for Katya there'd have people waiting all night for a rep to put in appearance at the Village Hotel after being dropped off on the first night of the holiday. Katya realised there was a problem and phoned Kevin at the Sunrise to come to the rescue and show them to Anastasia's.

Still, nothing can put us old recidivists off can it?We'll all keep going back no matter what. :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Mille » 02 Jul 2008, 15:01

I guess the time on Symi make up for the horrible time getting to and from that special island.

Last year it was a nightmare getting from Copenhagen to Diagoras.. 3 hours late, no explanation, untill ten minutes before boarding.
"We had to change aircraft due to an engine problem"

I'm glad I'm not afraid of flying :twisted:
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Sandi » 02 Jul 2008, 15:28

Will have to rememer about the taverna at the airport. O.M.G.Colette, what a nightmare journey :o and no alcohol.I think my other half would have been had up for murder after that experence and then being told no scotch available :(
Sandi
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby beverly » 03 Jul 2008, 12:10

Hi returned yesterday - booked independent flights with Thomas Cook. Airport at Rhodes for our book-in went really smoothly (flight delay 1.5hrs but I think problems from earlier in the day at Gatwick). The worst bit again was at Gatwick as we waited for nearly 1.5 hrs for our luggage.

On a good note - had a fantastic time in Symi. Went out on Poseidon around the island - swimming in the lovely bays. The Mythos was very good and every meal we had was excellent. Stayed with the hospitable Frank and Eva at Taxiarchis and met some lovely people on our walks around the island.
beverly
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Kojak » 03 Jul 2008, 13:17

I just hope that Monarch get themselves sorted out by September! :o The first year that Rhodes had the new security checks it was utter chaos. Last year they moved it to a temporary spot at the domestic end of the airport and it seemed to work really well even if you did have to lug your case a bit further. I'm not so bothered about the Olympic rep problem as I know where I'm staying anyway. It could be confusing for people who haven't been before though. I'm still at a bit of a loss as to why the security checks take longer, even in this country. As far as I can see the only extra thing you have to do is to take off belts and coats, sometimes shoes and you can do that as you queue. The x-ray of the hand baggage itams is just the same.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 03 Jul 2008, 15:48

With all these moans and groans I feel like I'm back at Pats Bar... :twisted:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Visiting Symi this year

Postby Ange » 03 Jul 2008, 21:42

Feel sorry for you, with that nightmare journey!
Wish we could have found such cheap flights! Easy Jet doesn't do them from nearby us. Luckily never had a problem with our flights to/from Rhodes. (Touches wooden desk quickly!)Worse one was coming back from Samos the pilot told us they had left 30 suitcases behind because the flight was overloaded!
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Previous

Return to Symi Chat