Warning...GEEK post

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Warning...GEEK post

Postby silverfox » 15 Apr 2024, 22:46

Now those that have met me I'm not the most intelligent person you have ever met.

I did, however, get involved in something called Packet Radio back in the day before the internet was born where we could send text messages around the world using the amatuer radio network and something called a Terminal Node Contoller. Simply a device that could convert digital stuff to audio.

We had friends around the world and Liz made friends with an American who worked on top secret communications at Menwith Hill and we spent a great day with the family in Harrogate and Ripley.

Now the reason for the post is I've got the interest back after many years, radio is so fascinating, and wondered if anyone from the uk has tried radio on Symi?

Symi does have a repeater situated on the Vigla which will get half of Rhodes looking at it.

Also for anyone who may have any insight I'm playing with Meshtastic and going to set up my own hubnet node etc...

Now I do understand this post may not be for the majority, or anyone at all, and now I should let you all get back to your dreams of an around the island trip or sat in comfy seats watching the world go by. :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Warning...GEEK post

Postby Allan » 16 Apr 2024, 17:14

Not too Geeky at all. (well, not to me at least). I obviously have similar interests to you and was very active on packet radio way back in the olden days so well understand your fascination. I've kept in touch with "modern" radio systems (thanks, Youtube) so I understand about Meshtastic and I hope you get it installed ok. Personally I have no experience of radio on Symi though I did meet a Greek radio amateur on Lefkada many, many years ago who was involved in running a repeater there.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 16 Apr 2024, 20:46

Thanks Allan

It's good to know I'm not the only Symi loving Geek in the world.

I already have a few Meshtastic nodes as they are so cheap but it seems to be pretty hit and miss as radio can be.

I've recently re-instigated my licence so got my old callsign back G7OCB which I got back in the early 90's.

I do have another node coming this week which will allow me to talk to other geeks around the world through radio-internet-radio.

We do have things in common Allan, other than Symi and our old age! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 17 Apr 2024, 16:12

G7OCB, eh? Good to know you can get it back. My licence, G3TQA, was issued in.. Wait for it!... 1964 :o (I was very young)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 18 Apr 2024, 20:37

Hi Allan

Are you still active on radio? Just wondered how we could have a chat. I can get on Hubnet no problem.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 19 Apr 2024, 18:39

Sadly, no, I'm not active these days. Meshtastic is interesting and I may have a play when I decide what to buy. But it will be just something to play with, nothing else.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » Yesterday, 10:49

Totally lost :?: :geek: :mrgreen: :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Symi Chat