10 Cheeky Days

Archived trip reports

Re: 10 Cheeky Days

Postby KN9700 » 16 Oct 2019, 14:15

My wife and I really enjoy reading the blogs of the super-bloggers Silverfox and D&E. Thanks a lot for yours writings and photoes from Symi :D .
We have talked about how many ways that you can enjoy your stay on Symi.
23 years ago a friend of ours recommended us to go to Symi, where he had been. And since then we have been there almost every year.
We are from Denmark, and a lot of Danish tourists that went to Symi then had read a wonderful book about Symi written by Ejgil Soeholm: Letters from Symi.
As we fell in love with the island and its people we started going to the same places as he had visited - and we still go to Meraklis to eat the first evening on Symi, and we have our night caps every single evening at Lefteris Cafenion in chorio, and when we are down we very often have a drink at Pachos.
Our favourite beach is Nikolaos that our friend recommended us, but we also like to go to Marina.
We like to walk to and from Nikolaos from Taxiarchis where we are very happy to stay.
We have walked on guided tours with as well Jytte as Hugo, but now we prefer to walk on our own.
We try to eat at different restaurants during our 12 days on Symi - very often a different one every evening.
And now we have already booked for September 2020.
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby silverfox » 16 Oct 2019, 18:13

What a lovely post kn9700.. Talking to D&E they love the fact, as we do that other people get small pleasures from our ramblings. I hope you have many more great trips to this magical place.
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 17 Oct 2019, 06:38

Wednesday 16th October

Lazy Day

We are becoming very lazy so it’s well after 8am before I drag myself out of bed and start sorting yesterdays photos for the blog. After 9am I bully Liz to make breakfast and we use all the remaining bread with bacon, eggs and tomato and use the last of the coffee sachets we brought out with us. I manage to finish and upload the blog. As Liz was cooking breakfast we were joined on the kitchen window by two adorable ginger kittens who were keen to share our breakfast. Liz gave them some breakfast and one decided to join us by jumping through the window.

morn.jpg
Good Morning!

We had a quick chat with a couple who were just passing to walk up to the monastery. As I did the walk yesterday I explained the correct turning off the road. I was soon off out while Liz spent some time reading before heading out for the bus.

broom.jpg
And I thought Liz had taken the bus

church.jpg

I went up through the square and the road and then down the Kataratkis taking pictures all the way.

old.jpg
Old steps Kataratkis

old2.jpg
Kataratkis

I check to see if the music museum is open but there is no sign of life. I will try again another day or perhaps next year. I wander along to the clock tower and have a can of Fanta sat on one of the benches. I soon meet back up with Liz and we have a latte in comfy seats and notice that the Poseidon is finished for the season and the taxi boats look like they are winding down too.

clock.jpg
Clock Tower

boats.jpg
Views of the boat yard

It does seem quite busy today with day trippers as we meander all the way round to Tholos where we luckily get one of the last available tables as it fills up very quickly, with them having to turn people away. We had a wonderful spicy vegetable risotto and chicken with wine and almonds which was superb and of course we had our fix of lemon potato, I could live on Tholos lemon potatoes alone. I had a cool Fix and Liz opted for cola light.

ris.jpg
Spicy Vegatable Risotto

chick.jpg
Chicken in wine and almond with thos lovely lemon potatoes

I was fancying another beer but as people were waiting we paid up and walked back round and as usual I walked up the road and Liz was ferried up to Campos with Lakis on the yellow bus.

We had a quiet start to the afternoon with Anne sat knitting, watching Chorio village life as it happens with many locals passing with greeting of yassas, yassou or just ya! What is great to see up here is the young children playing even when it’s dark without a care in the world knowing they are safe and amongst people who really care and are so friendly.

The afternoon is slipping by in it’s usual time warp fashion as the weather decides to intervene with a very sharp period of rain and thunder which starts the waterfall effect through the steps of Lefteris and the Rainbow bar. We have our first experience of the inside of the bar!

water.jpg
Rainbow waterfall

Another relaxing afternoon was coming to an end as Liz bought cakes from the pastry shop that used to be the fruit shop to have as a snack back at number 18.

cake.jpg
Nice cake

Walking steps according to the Huawei watch so far:

Wednesday 9th – 9066 steps

Thursday 10th – 17474 steps

Friday 11th – 7879 steps

Saturday 12th – 12168 steps

Sunday 13th – 13414 steps

Monday 14th – 22081 steps

Tuesday 15th – 13032 steps

Wednesday 16th – 14550 steps

Now that deserves a Metaxa night cap!

geo.jpg
Georgios

Goodnight!
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 17 Oct 2019, 07:08

KN9700 wrote:My wife and I really enjoy reading the blogs of the super-bloggers Silverfox and D&E. Thanks a lot for yours writings and photoes from Symi :D .
We have talked about how many ways that you can enjoy your stay on Symi.
23 years ago a friend of ours recommended us to go to Symi, where he had been. And since then we have been there almost every year.
We are from Denmark, and a lot of Danish tourists that went to Symi then had read a wonderful book about Symi written by Ejgil Soeholm: Letters from Symi.
As we fell in love with the island and its people we started going to the same places as he had visited - and we still go to Meraklis to eat the first evening on Symi, and we have our night caps every single evening at Lefteris Cafenion in chorio, and when we are down we very often have a drink at Pachos.
Our favourite beach is Nikolaos that our friend recommended us, but we also like to go to Marina.
We like to walk to and from Nikolaos from Taxiarchis where we are very happy to stay.
We have walked on guided tours with as well Jytte as Hugo, but now we prefer to walk on our own.
We try to eat at different restaurants during our 12 days on Symi - very often a different one every evening.
And now we have already booked for September 2020.

Thank you for the kind words KN9700 - we are a bit late off the mark this morning but the next “thrilling” episode will be up within the hour :D
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 17 Oct 2019, 09:16

Another great read with fantastic photos - those kittens are so cute and I giggled at the broom picture and take it that Liz doesn't read your blog :P I love the walk down the Kataratkis with the stunning views and it's so much easier to walk down that way than walking back up which I always find a struggle.

The cake looks delicious and knowing that there is a cake shop so close by would save me walking down to 'the scary ice cream' for my afternoon treat, though at least the walk up and down helps to burn off all those extra calories ;)

We are being really spoilt this week with 2 fantastic blogs bringing Symi to us - 11 months today I will be back ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 18 Oct 2019, 07:45

Thursday 17th October

A simple day

Waking up otn Symi is becoming a very difficult task. Maybe it’s all the beer, wine, Ouzo and Metaxa but we prefer to blame the fresh sea air that makes us sleep so well. Even the chickens, goats and the cats try their best but tend to fail. I finally get up around 8am and have a breakfast of a cheese straw and a cup of tea. Liz, when she finally drags herself into the morning, has a cake left from last night, yes she really did!

The kitten managed to break in by pushing the side window open and once fed we kicked it out, well encouraged to leave shall we say.

poms.jpg
Pomegranates on The Kali Strata

A quick shower and I’m off down the Kali Strata taking pictures as I go and one spot I like is a terrace behind one of the big ruins where you get great views of the harbour and the ruin with the church Isodia Theotokou in the background.

view.jpg
Great view

Further down into Gialos and I buy a water from the bakery at the back of the square before taking the road by the side of the Iapetos Village Hotel and up the steep hill to the cemetery. Along the path to St Georges with the breathtaking view before down the zig zag path where there a few boats moored so more photo opportunities.

view1.jpg
I can't resist walking up for this view

boat.jpg
Nice lighting

view2.jpg
Nimborio

Along the quiet road to Gialos passing a few people jogging and a couple swimming down by the rocks. I cut off to the right and up to Evangelismos and sit for a while with the views. There are so many churches on Symi and so many people are seen painting or cleaning but it’s a pity so many are locked these days.

Down past the boatyard where some of the Taxi boats are already out of the water and being powerwashed underneath with no doubt a lick of paint before the winter on Symi sets in. It is strange for us coming so late in the season to see places closed, or closing, and the locals carrying coats and hoodies.

harb.jpg
Harbour

I can see the yellow bus coming down the hill and meet up with Liz in the Comfy chairs for our latte. D&E soon come along and join us for an coffee and then Neil and Toby appeared after their daily chores. Having failed to get on a boat D&E are off to Nos for a swim and leave us with a small gift which is a very nice gesture. We do hope we bump into them before heading home but who knows as plans on Symi change in an instant.

We talk food and end up in Trata with the boys where we have the delicious Garlic Potatoes starter, Liz had Stuffed Tomatoes, I had a Giouvetsi with very tender stewed beef, Neil had Sole and Toby went for a very substantial Moussaka all washed down with white wine. A walnut cake all round on the house finished a very nice lunch.

pots.jpg
Garlic Potatoes

toms.jpg
Stuffed Tomatoes

gio.jpg
Giouvetsi

cheers.jpg
Cheers

A taxi passed me on my walk up the road with obscenities being shouted from the window by guess who? The fast power walk (all in my dreams) and I was rewarded with a nice cool beer in my Symi local. The usual laughter and discussions take place and the time slips away as ever.

When Yianni returned from his siesta he tried to teach Neil how to make a Magarita for Anne – what is surprising is that he found any mint left out the back as each time I went to the toilet a pinched a few leaves to feed Liz. It save on the Taverna bills!

2 men collect a beer fridge first from Lefteris Bar and then take one from the Rainbow, we have either worn them out or they are hinting I should return to England?

mythos.jpg
Hint?

We decide on a snack night so buy some sausages and bread rolls and make hot dogs with fried onion. Liz reads and I try to remember the days events.

14215 steps so I’ve poured myself a Metaxa

Yammas from Symi
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 18 Oct 2019, 08:27

I'm a cake lover but not sure even I would want cake for breakfast :P

Wow, that's am impressive step count, you've certainly earned all that delicious food - that giouvetsi looks excellent and I'm drooling at the potatoes too. Another wonderful blog :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Thomasdk » 18 Oct 2019, 17:43

Can't you guys just settle down on Symi? I'd love to get daily updates like these, assisted by the lovely photos each day, 365 a year. :)
Especially those food photos, just by looking at them it's like being there and most of the time I can even tell which restaurant they're from.
Haven't been for 2 years and it'll be yet another year before I'm able to go, at the earliest. So, I'm still very appreciative of your "blogging" here. :)
Thomasdk
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports