Dekati Epeskepsi

Archived trip reports

Re: Dekati Epeskepsi

Postby Gemma1 » 03 Sep 2019, 08:23

More fantastic reports - though think I'd definitely have to pass on the sea urchin diving ;)

I'm wondering if the inquisitive goats at Marathounda would have been quite as interested if they knew you were eating one of their clan :shock: :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 03 Sep 2019, 15:26

Just been on the 'Maria Traditional Boat' trip. Fantastic day, really recommend it :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 04 Sep 2019, 07:20

This is really frustrating, I have just spent the last 30 mins typing up yesterday's post. I was being pestered by a fly around my ankles and in getting rid of the pesky fly deleted my post!! So will have to redo the post later tonight as Kim is now foot tapping as we are going to the Olive Tree for coffee and walking to Nimborio.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 04 Sep 2019, 09:31

Pollychops wrote:This is really frustrating, I have just spent the last 30 mins typing up yesterday's post. I was being pestered by a fly around my ankles and in getting rid of the pesky fly deleted my post!! So will have to redo the post later tonight as Kim is now foot tapping as we are going to the Olive Tree for coffee and walking to Nimborio.

Oh how we know that feeling :evil:
D does his blog in a Pages doc on his iPad and then copies & pastes into the Forum and that saves a lot of f’s & b’s that used to come from the balcony of a morning :D
Ahhh the walk to Nimborio and the always excellent sardines and moussaka for lunch.
Looking forward to your reinstated post later.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 04 Sep 2019, 09:32

Lisa B wrote:Just been on the 'Maria Traditional Boat' trip. Fantastic day, really recommend it :D

Good to hear - can you tell us more ?
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 04 Sep 2019, 12:07

I wish Friday would get a move on. Afternoon flight from Glasgow, Rhodes taxi, Plaza Hotel,nightcap. Ferry in the morning, and at last Symi. Olive Tree for breakfast. Unpack later. :D
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 04 Sep 2019, 18:45

D&E, It's €35, starts 10:30, goes either around the St George's side or St Emelianos side depending on the day. You get coffee/orange juice, cake and spinach pie breakfast. You can buy pop and beer. They stop at Maroni, then St Emelianos for lunch on the boat which was excellent!! We saw inside the church then a couple more bays we hadn't seen before and back for 5pm. About 25 people on the boat. Fab day x
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 04 Sep 2019, 19:37

Day Five.
Another early rise and witness the sunrise over Turkey. This is the norm for me as I get by with no more than 6 hours sleep, back home I would be walking the dogs through Epping Forest at 5.45 so sitting on the terrace with a coffee is a pleasant change although I do miss George and Agnes (dogs) when we are holiday. Today we decided on another day @ St Nicks so after a light breakfast of yoghurt and mixed berries we packed our bags and walk down the valley through the trees between all the small holdings. There is a wide array of livestock in the small holdings from hens, goats and there are also some small foals at present. We saw a couple of the locals there tending to their animals collecting eggs and feeding the goats. When walking through there is an area which we think is the dry riverbed which is quite tricky to move over as it's very uneven and you have to be careful you don't go over on your ankles. Once reaching the bottom we are at the far right hand side of the bay, Kim decides to go to the small shop to buy some more fruit and I decide to carry on walking to the beach. At this time of morning the footpath is in shade so can get a good pace going and reach the top of the stairs in no time. The beach is deserted apart from the taverna staff preparing for the day ahead. I get down to our regular seats and set things out before my going straight in for a swim, again at this time the far side of the beach is in shade so the water is very invigorating as I take my swim. We spend all day on the beach with me mainly under the parasol reading and painting postcards of the views in front of me. We then head back just before six and as we get to the bus stop it's only 6.15 so I decide to walk whilst Kim waits for the bus. After showering we head off down the steps as we are returning to Tholos, on route we venture into Symi tours to get our return ferry tickets. Last year we had to cut short our trip and didn't use our return tickets, Frank from Taxiarchis spoke with them at the time and they said they would hold them for another year so when we presented them with the note that Frank had written out and we did receive our tickets for no cost. Another example of Symi assistance when needed. Off we trotted to Tholos, we were sat bang in the middle of the upper deck which we prefer as it all goes on around this table. We started with giant beans in a spicy tomato sauce, haidani which is similar to tzaziki with carrot rather than cucumber and some bread. Kim opted for a very fine looking pork chop which was cooked to her liking and slightly pink, my choice was Symi goat with lemon potato. Who knows how long this dish is in the oven, it falls off the bone and is melt in the mouth and with the heavily flavoured waxy lemon potatoes its a fine combination, it was washed down with a carafe of Rose wine and finished off with a complimentary desert of ice cream. Wonderful food, views and service ended another day in Symi. We wandered back through the dark streets of Harani Bay watching the lady who is always out watering her garden and round to the main harbour were we stopped off at Eva for a nightcap and coffee. We caught the 11 o'clock and was tucked up in bed by 11.30. Tomorrow we walk to Nimborio.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 05 Sep 2019, 08:19

Another wonderful read with more delicious food :) Must confess that the only time I've seen the sunrise on Symi is when I've had to get up early to catch the early morning ferry back to Rhodes :oops:

Enjoy your day in Nimborio, I do love the walk there over the top :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 05 Sep 2019, 17:38

After yet another hard day at work it's great to read your reports.

From the sunrise at Franks, which I can see if I shut my eyes, to the Lemon Potatoes at Tholos to your "threat" of one of my favourite walks you have lit up my evening.

Only 5 weeks and we will be there for our second trip this year!

Loving every report and hanging on your words :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 05 Sep 2019, 21:35

Day Six.
Another day with an early rise but missed the sun coming over the hills. We decide to go to Nimborio however, we stop at the Olive Tree for breakfast. Now this 800 a day eliminates bread and since the first week in June I have not had a slice of toast with marmalade which is always a weekend treat for us. Without any consideration whatsoever two rounds of brown toast with the OT's homemade marmalade were ordered by Kim......... I followed that path and as simple as it is the toast and marmalade was thoroughly enjoyed. Simple and humble tastes do work. Kim had a flat white and I some Earl Grey tea with lemon. We also shared one of the refreshing juices and enjoyed the catch up chat with the girls and the fantastic view. We then set off down the steps and we decided to have a lazy stroll around the back streets. We are also considering for next year to bring Kim's mum with us and as she suffers from bad knees staying upstairs at Taxiarchis would be too much for her. So decided to look into what is on offer downstairs with easy access, we looked at The Opera House and the relatively new lapetos then continued and looked in Nireus. All three have good access so this gives us some thinking to do over the winter. We then hit the road and slowly wander round the long route past Nos beach and beyond and reach the small kiosk at the little beach. We stop there and go for a swim to cool down and follow that with a frappe at the kiosk and a sit down in the shade. It's a very enjoyable outlook sitting there with a terrific outlook towards Nimos and the Turkish mainland. We then set off for lunch at Maria's in Nimborio, we get greeted with the normal welcome we have always had from Maria and it's so good to see the changes they have done over the years although the building works next door don't seem to have moved on any further than last year. We remember the days when we could put your sunbed anywhere along this stretch before the Taverna and my spot was always under the tree on the right hand side, unfortunately the builders removed the tree. All of the sun beds are now positioned on the beach area and they have doubled the depth of this with a step ladder to assist in getting out of the water. We sat down for lunch and opted for sardines, grilled squid, tzaziki and a Greek salad. All came up beautifully cooked and the Squid was the stand out dish, served whole and grilled to perfection with olive oil and lemon. I decided I had enough of the sun and stayed put at our table whilst Kim had another swim and a lie down. I sneaked a couple of beers whilst reading. We set off back along the road and reached the harbour by 17.00. We sat and people watched coming off the boats eating a very nice ice cream made from goats milk and then took the Kali back up to base. I don't know why but can only put it down to the energy we used during the day as we had more to eat than normal however, after showering we felt a little bit peckish so we walked up the hill to Zoe's. Another welcome greeting and catch up before sitting down to Lamb chops for Kim and Stifado for me. The chops, all four of them were done on the BBQ over coals and we could smell them being cooked, they came up nice and juicy and the stifado......what can I say apart from as expected, another long slow cook in the oven, in a very tasty sauce and meat that's melts in your mouth. Another triumph on the palate. A slow wander down the hill and tucked up in bed by eleven.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Oor Willie » 06 Sep 2019, 02:55

Joe Le Taxi wrote:I wish Friday would get a move on. Afternoon flight from Glasgow, Rhodes taxi, Plaza Hotel,nightcap. Ferry in the morning,
and at last Symi. Olive Tree for breakfast. Unpack later. :D

See you at the airport Joe, we are also on the afternoon Jet2 flight and booked into the Plaza for the night, we are going on the 10am Sebeco on Saturday to give us time to enjoy the famous Plaza breakfast
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 06 Sep 2019, 04:20

Day seven.
Today we again decide St Nicks and head off early on our walk down through Pedi valley and over the footpath to the beach, as its early the whole of the bay is in shade and we take our normal position. It all seems a bit repetitive this week but the last year has been a tough one and having this week here and being able to completely relax has been a godsend. We spend the day boringly reading, swimming, eating, napping and catching some rays.....perfect. We depart @ 18.00 and walk all the way back up to Taxiarchis. Following a catch up at base we get ready and head off down to the harbour. We have to go to the bank and get some cash from the ATM and decide on Merakilis again for dinner. We start with some bread and houmous with courgette light and fluffy balls and following advice from the waiter as we have ordered enough starters decide to share a chicken souvlaki, just as well as it came out rather large. It was very busy there when we arrived with no tables but they set one up for us at the far end which was good as we could look back on all the other tables. The meal was ended with a complimentary cold rice pudding topped with cinnamon all very deliteful. Being just before 22.00 we walked round to catch the bus and it was standing room only so we stood at the back of the bus which we found was cooler as the draught from underneath the door provided some comfort. We got off at the windmills and slowly walked back enjoying the views back down to the harbour. We sat on the terrace catching up on emails and had a coffee with some Backlava we bought earlier. Another fine day was had. In completing this post the Pedi livestock are in full swing and the beautiful red hues over the hills are glowing like coal embers in the grate. Good morning Symi.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 06 Sep 2019, 06:50

Pollychops, does this mean you were on St Nicks on Thursday? :D It's funny to think we were all there the same time, does make you wonder who's who...
Last edited by Lisa B on 06 Sep 2019, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Sep 2019, 08:12

More great reading and I do love the beef stifado at Zoe's - I rarely order anything else if I eat there :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 06 Sep 2019, 12:17

Sardines and grilled squid for lunch at Maria's and then Zoë's Beef Stifado at night - heaven :)

Loving your blog.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 07 Sep 2019, 04:05

Lisa B wrote:Pollychops, does this mean you were on St Nicks on Thursday? :D It's funny to think we were all there the same time, does make you wonder who's who...

Lisa B, it would appear so......small world isn't it.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 07 Sep 2019, 04:49

Day eight.
Today is our last full day so another early rise for me and post day seven and see another sunrise. We decide today we will have some wandering through the village and meet up later in the day. After another breakfast of yoghurt and fruit topped with toasted almonds and honey we set off on our way. Kim heads straight down to the harbour ( shopping me thinks ) and I head uphill to stroll through the lanes in the village. Looking at all the old and interesting buildings and the maze of turnings I think of what it could have been like over a hundred years ago and came to the conclusion if you took away the power and telephone cables, the scooters it would have looked exactly as it is. I stop off for a coffee in the OT before heading down the steps. I catch up with Kim in one of the little boutique shops along from Merakilis were she is purchasing a lovely linen blouse to add to her collection, she doesn't spot me so I carry on and head off to Elphidas for some people watching and a beer with some lovely mezes. I then head off around past Nos beach walk along the road to Nimborio before taking the zig zag route back up towards the small chapel and take in the wonderful view that presents itself to me. It hot today so some shade is required for a short stop before heading back down the other side into the square at the back of the harbour. An ice cream is called for at this point and the man next to Symi visitor shop who sells ice cream made out of goats milk has another sale and I opt for one scoop of coconut and one of yoghurt with red berries, another half hour wasting away on a bench people watching whilst enjoying the spoils of my walk..... tough isn't it? Back up the steps I catch up with
Kim and see the spoils of her day with the small array of shopping bags. Tonight is our last night and as always we take a stroll around the harbour to Tholos. We start with Fava and Aubergines followed by grilled prawns and grilled sea bass with a side of lemon potatoes and small tomato salad. The prawns come up rather large and are cooked to perfection, plump, juicy and full of flavour, the sea bass is meaty, flaky and falls off the bone and the lemon potatoes are a wonderful partner to both dishes. We end our evening with our goodbyes for another year and head back to Eva for a coffee and nightcap. We catch the 10 o'clock bus as we are a bit tired and intend to start the packing which surprisingly only takes half an hour so a final sit on the terrace with a coffee ends the day. Tomorrow we are on the 16.30 to Rhodes so intend to have a wander and maybe spend some time @ St Nicks before we depart. Just finishing off the post and enjoyed my last sunrise which today I can clearly see the hills of Turkey behind a soft, warm glow. The dawn chorus is in full swing and the village is waking up to another fine day. A very enjoyable way to start my day.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 07 Sep 2019, 08:11

Thanks for sharing your holiday with us, it's been a great read :) Enjoy your last hours on Symi and safe travels home for this afternoon.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby rockbottom » 08 Sep 2019, 08:57

Really enjoyed your blog, looking forward to Wednesday when we are coming over for two weeks!
We have already booked for September next year staying for the first time in Taxiarchis, you have whetted our appetite.
Safe journey.
rockbottom
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports