Dekati Epeskepsi

Archived trip reports

Re: Dekati Epeskepsi

Postby Gemma1 » 03 Sep 2019, 08:23

More fantastic reports - though think I'd definitely have to pass on the sea urchin diving ;)

I'm wondering if the inquisitive goats at Marathounda would have been quite as interested if they knew you were eating one of their clan :shock: :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 03 Sep 2019, 15:26

Just been on the 'Maria Traditional Boat' trip. Fantastic day, really recommend it :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 04 Sep 2019, 07:20

This is really frustrating, I have just spent the last 30 mins typing up yesterday's post. I was being pestered by a fly around my ankles and in getting rid of the pesky fly deleted my post!! So will have to redo the post later tonight as Kim is now foot tapping as we are going to the Olive Tree for coffee and walking to Nimborio.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 04 Sep 2019, 09:31

Pollychops wrote:This is really frustrating, I have just spent the last 30 mins typing up yesterday's post. I was being pestered by a fly around my ankles and in getting rid of the pesky fly deleted my post!! So will have to redo the post later tonight as Kim is now foot tapping as we are going to the Olive Tree for coffee and walking to Nimborio.

Oh how we know that feeling :evil:
D does his blog in a Pages doc on his iPad and then copies & pastes into the Forum and that saves a lot of f’s & b’s that used to come from the balcony of a morning :D
Ahhh the walk to Nimborio and the always excellent sardines and moussaka for lunch.
Looking forward to your reinstated post later.
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 04 Sep 2019, 09:32

Lisa B wrote:Just been on the 'Maria Traditional Boat' trip. Fantastic day, really recommend it :D

Good to hear - can you tell us more ?
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 04 Sep 2019, 12:07

I wish Friday would get a move on. Afternoon flight from Glasgow, Rhodes taxi, Plaza Hotel,nightcap. Ferry in the morning, and at last Symi. Olive Tree for breakfast. Unpack later. :D
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 04 Sep 2019, 18:45

D&E, It's €35, starts 10:30, goes either around the St George's side or St Emelianos side depending on the day. You get coffee/orange juice, cake and spinach pie breakfast. You can buy pop and beer. They stop at Maroni, then St Emelianos for lunch on the boat which was excellent!! We saw inside the church then a couple more bays we hadn't seen before and back for 5pm. About 25 people on the boat. Fab day x
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 04 Sep 2019, 19:37

Day Five.
Another early rise and witness the sunrise over Turkey. This is the norm for me as I get by with no more than 6 hours sleep, back home I would be walking the dogs through Epping Forest at 5.45 so sitting on the terrace with a coffee is a pleasant change although I do miss George and Agnes (dogs) when we are holiday. Today we decided on another day @ St Nicks so after a light breakfast of yoghurt and mixed berries we packed our bags and walk down the valley through the trees between all the small holdings. There is a wide array of livestock in the small holdings from hens, goats and there are also some small foals at present. We saw a couple of the locals there tending to their animals collecting eggs and feeding the goats. When walking through there is an area which we think is the dry riverbed which is quite tricky to move over as it's very uneven and you have to be careful you don't go over on your ankles. Once reaching the bottom we are at the far right hand side of the bay, Kim decides to go to the small shop to buy some more fruit and I decide to carry on walking to the beach. At this time of morning the footpath is in shade so can get a good pace going and reach the top of the stairs in no time. The beach is deserted apart from the taverna staff preparing for the day ahead. I get down to our regular seats and set things out before my going straight in for a swim, again at this time the far side of the beach is in shade so the water is very invigorating as I take my swim. We spend all day on the beach with me mainly under the parasol reading and painting postcards of the views in front of me. We then head back just before six and as we get to the bus stop it's only 6.15 so I decide to walk whilst Kim waits for the bus. After showering we head off down the steps as we are returning to Tholos, on route we venture into Symi tours to get our return ferry tickets. Last year we had to cut short our trip and didn't use our return tickets, Frank from Taxiarchis spoke with them at the time and they said they would hold them for another year so when we presented them with the note that Frank had written out and we did receive our tickets for no cost. Another example of Symi assistance when needed. Off we trotted to Tholos, we were sat bang in the middle of the upper deck which we prefer as it all goes on around this table. We started with giant beans in a spicy tomato sauce, haidani which is similar to tzaziki with carrot rather than cucumber and some bread. Kim opted for a very fine looking pork chop which was cooked to her liking and slightly pink, my choice was Symi goat with lemon potato. Who knows how long this dish is in the oven, it falls off the bone and is melt in the mouth and with the heavily flavoured waxy lemon potatoes its a fine combination, it was washed down with a carafe of Rose wine and finished off with a complimentary desert of ice cream. Wonderful food, views and service ended another day in Symi. We wandered back through the dark streets of Harani Bay watching the lady who is always out watering her garden and round to the main harbour were we stopped off at Eva for a nightcap and coffee. We caught the 11 o'clock and was tucked up in bed by 11.30. Tomorrow we walk to Nimborio.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports