Cheeky September Week

Archived trip reports

Re: Cheeky September Week

Postby Pollychops » 31 Aug 2018, 16:15

What a good name for a holiday break... a cheeky week. Like you we were June visitors but after going last year and spending the first week in September we preferred it so September is now our month to visit. Unfortunately we cant do two trips in the same year however, we are working to that when we retire. We will look out for you.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Catmadjane » 31 Aug 2018, 20:08

Arriving tomorrow with my sister for a much longed for return visit. It's actually been 10 years since our last trip - incredible how time flies, but we remember Symi with love and can't wait to return. It will be our first visit in September (I've just retired from teaching). This time tomorrow we'll be there!
Catmadjane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 31 Aug 2018, 21:43

Catmadjane wrote:Arriving tomorrow with my sister for a much longed for return visit. It's actually been 10 years since our last trip - incredible how time flies, but we remember Symi with love and can't wait to return. It will be our first visit in September (I've just retired from teaching). This time tomorrow we'll be there!

Hope you really enjoy your return!

Have fun! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 03 Sep 2018, 20:11

Well hurry up Mr Silverfox...

beer.JPG
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pollychops » 03 Sep 2018, 20:16

Someone's had a go at that one.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Sep 2018, 21:09

Allan wrote:Well hurry up Mr Silverfox...

beer.JPG

One more day to work...keep the seats warm and the beer cool!

First one is on me!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 04 Sep 2018, 13:34

silverfox wrote:
First one is on me!

:)

Great!
I'll make sure Yianni has the champagne on ice :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Allan » 04 Sep 2018, 16:59

Pollychops wrote:Someone's had a go at that one.

Evaporation is a terrible thing in these temperatures, you have to be quick...

beer2.JPG
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 04 Sep 2018, 20:42

Thursday 2.15 pm!

Now that is a plan!

Off to bed!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 04 Sep 2018, 21:53

Allan wrote:
Pollychops wrote:Someone's had a go at that one.

Evaporation is a terrible thing in these temperatures, you have to be quick...

beer2.JPG

If the temp gauge at the top of the page is accurate then 31 degrees @ 23.51 its understandable the beer evaporates.
All packed and ready for tomorrow.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 04 Sep 2018, 23:19

Have a great time Pollychops.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Sep 2018, 06:19

Wednesday

Another early start in a cool Sheffield as we call at Martins our eldest son at 3.15am. We were well prepared and fully packed last weekend.

An easy drive across the Snake Pass in the dark and we were soon at Manchester Airport with thoughts of “just get me to Symi and quick”

The reason why we are so early is to allow Martin to return to Sheffield before any traffic build up and get back to daddy duties. So early that no check in desk numbers for our flight yet so we waited in the area we checked in in June. Scanning the board and the desks the ASL logo soon appeared above one of the desks so we were 1st again checking in.

Got our Boots meal deal and found a quiet spot near to gate 300 and as expected through and on the bus to the plane on time. A “grand tour” is the only way I can describe the route to the plane as it was parked in probably the most inaccessible place ever.

A very smooth flight saw us into Rhodes by 2pm Greek time and onto the bus to take us down to the port but….with the ferry strikes this week the news was we were to go from the tourist port on the new boat Sebeco.

We had a walk back into the town and had a Giros Pitta at the Maria in the old markets. Not the best choice when a trip across on a small ferry was due which I was not looking forward to.

We’d left our cases behind the ticket booth, looked after by the rep, and on return were greeted by Colette. Pete was also there, returning to meet up with Gwen who’s been on the Island most of the summer. Lucky Gwen!

As the Sebeco needed a diesel top up it was a little late setting off but made good time after what could only be described as a roller-coaster ride, well the first bit anyway.

Into glorious Symi and berthed next to the bus station we were told by Nancy, the current Olympic rep, that we’d have to wait for a bus transfer so we set off walking round the harbour to our apartments behind the Police Station.

Basic but fine room on the first floor so no spiral staircase to encounter.

20180905_203938.jpg
20 yards from our room

We drop the case and after a very quick freshen up we are back round the Harbour full of Yachts to be greeted by a very busy Jordana at To Spitiko. No Sole, even though Jordana had rang round all of Symi, so I had some very tasty Lamb Chops and Liz the succulent Chicken Souvlaki washed down by a few cool beers.

20180905_215441.jpg
Chicken Souvlaki

20180905_215445.jpg
Lamb Chops

20180905_210314.jpg
Guess!

Tiredness now kicks in and the plan of nightcaps at Elpidas drift into another day so a quick trip to the supermarket for Metaxa and water (I know the holiday essentials). Some filming was taking place in the harbour and I'm claiming my fee if the old fat guy with carrier bag scene is used in any blockbuster!

20180905_224542.jpg
Nightcap

Liz had a quick call home and we needed sleep….oh and a Metaxa night cap.

Back in paradise!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 06 Sep 2018, 08:57

Hooray! So starts the fun reading. Glad you arrived safely, look forward to further installments :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Sep 2018, 19:57

Thursday

7AM and the bells at the clock tower tell me so!

Much louder dawn chorus from the birds in the trees down here but no goat and only chicken voices in the distance.

Not being sure if the wi-fi is free here and nobody around to ask I spent the first 15 minutes trying to work out how to tether the laptop to the phone. As you can see I've posted it was a great success!

So the first job was to get the blog up so transferring pictures from yesterday and trying to remember the day. Blog complete and as Liz was still snoring I was off for a morning stroll and the first “in your face” thing to notice is the Turkish Gulets in yesterdays picture have been pushed out into the wider harbour as the Salamis Filoxenia cruise ship has took up berth next to the clock tower.

The stroll took me me round to Nos beach and back in the warm early sunshine passing the boat yard (always a picture to be had here) and back to Anastasoulla where Liz had unpacked.

Has no shopping has been done we gave the buffet breakfast a try at the Nireus Hotel just a few steps away from our room and what a success it was. All you can eat hot (well warm) and cold buffet with cereals, pastries, yogurt, fruit and honey, cold meats, cheese, tomatoes, bacon, sausage, fried eggs and breads etc… Oranges juice and an array of tea and coffee! All for 7 Euro each, I can see this being a regular morning ritual!

20180906_092059.jpg

I had another wander round the back lanes while Liz sat in the sun and then I spent half an hour sat on the benches looking out on this splendid view.

Another shower (not bad weather) and we off to the soft seats for a cafe latte and a beer too. We had a great welcome from Neil and Toby who were just leaving to do a bit of shopping.

Now this may seem obvious but I went for the walk up the road (it really does fill up my senses in a way most will never understand) and Liz tried to use her fake loyalty card on the bus but Lakis smiled as he took her cash! (ps I made that bit up...which bit? Who knows!)

20180906_134323.jpg
"They tried to stop me going to Yiannis and I said No No No!

I arrived at a very lonely bar somewhere up in the hills which soon filled up with many that we knew and a few we met for the first time. Some you will all know and some
are here for the first time….you know who you all are and you are all top people! Suffice to say they are like minded people on a mission to enjoy this magical little rock!

The conversation went downhill...in a nice way...and despite being tempted to stay we made our way DOWN the Kali Strata which seemed so strange but welcomed by Liz rather than the climb to Sevasti. Oh does that feel different!

20180906_183955.jpg
Cat on the Kali Strata

As we were so late (why does time fly so fast at Yiannis Bar?) we went straight to the Trawler for our evening meal. As D&E had highlighted the stuffed mushrooms that was first on order followed by the garlic potatoes and a sea bream. We asked for them all together and a litre of house white.

20180906_192535.jpg
Stuffed Mushrooms

20180906_192525.jpg
Garlick Potatoes

20180906_192726.jpg
Finest Sea Bream

Now we must say it was one of the finest meals we have had on Symi the garlic potatoes are awesome and the fish was sublime. 41 Euros including the wine….go there!

Now I have to say I'm knackered so a slow wander back calling at the kiosk for water and a thought about the super rich persons yacht near the clock tower!

20180906_201919.jpg
Rich? Maybe!

I’ll not reveal my thoughts!

Metaxa night cap after a wonderful relaxing day.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 07 Sep 2018, 06:18

Back on top form Silverfox - good man :)

Starting with the Nireus buffet breakfast and ending with the evergreen Trata AND experiencing the Yiannis timezone in between - perfection.

Have fun.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 07 Sep 2018, 07:42

What a great start! Glad the strike didn't stop you getting to Symi. That breakfast at the Nireus sounds excellent value - you don't need lunch after all that ;)

I've only just finished breakfast but looking at those stuffed mushrooms and the rest of your meal made me feel hungry - I can't wait for some delicious Symi food :D

Looking forward to your next instalment.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 07 Sep 2018, 17:53

Not long now Gemma :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 07 Sep 2018, 19:10

Friday

Early night and I've managed the blog....so a few Metaxas coming up! :)

A bit later start as we have been tired and we do always sleep better with the sea air. No early morning walk and we gave in to having another Nireus breakfast which is great but we are eating far too much...now there’s a surprise!

Talk over breakfast was the day plan haha...even the guy at Nireus says don’t make plans! I fancied the walk over the top to Nimborio but Liz fancied the bus to Pedi….guess who won!

We walked around the harbour and Liz waited for the bus and I did the road walk up past the windmills and followed the road down into Pedi….great as I turned the top corner it’s a different world with all the Chickens, goats and other rural sounds just reminding what we are missing staying down.

20180906_140442.jpg
No Malt Loaf to be found either!

I was there before the bus and had to take off the sandals and dangle my feet into the clear and quite warm sea. Another film crew was on the jetty filming and once again if you see a fat, ugly guy dangling his feet in the sea in any blockbuster soon…..that’s me! I missed the old bit out on purpose!

feet.jpg
Dangling

Liz arrived which put an end to all the dangling and we had a slow walk to the left and a slow walk to the right with a break inbetween for a cool drink from the kiosk before ending up in Katsaras where we shared a Greek salad and drinks….I didn’t share my beer! We had a great ommellette here in June but to be honest we didn’t rate the salad and it wasn’t cheap.

The Rainbow Bar was calling and as Liz waited for the bus I walked back up the road and with great timing met up top at exactly the same time.

Update on the walking, Fitbit says:

Wednesday: 4.38 miles
Thursday: 5.9 miles
Friday: 7.04 miles

And my leg hurts!

The Rainbow was rammed so we had to sit in the naughty corner with Yianni apologising that we could not have “our seats” and even Neil never sat down for the first hour...most of the people we saw in Pedi ended up with us too….today was weird as everyone seemed to be following each other around.

We managed to get back in “our seats” and as usual time slips away so quickly!

A conversation with Allan yesterday on this very subject was interesting as we discussed how to describe the Rainbow time warp and the feeling of being there….it’s a simple bar in a quiet place but so many people “get it”.

I’ll throw it open to others...what does the Rainbow do for you….or we could say Symi. Why does it capture your soul?

Anyway we stayed too long but made our way down the Kali Strata and being tired decided to call in the Dolphin where we had a Carbanara Pizza and Prawns with spagetti in a creamy sauce. Last time we ate here I have to say was not the best, but tonight it was excellent!! Well worth a visit if you are here soon!

pizza.jpg
Great Pizza

Great Meal.jpg
Great Meal

A easy walk back to the apartments with Liz getting some Ice Cream before writing up this blog with a few Metaxas to boot!

Loving this cheeky week that will end too soon!

This Rock rocks!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 07 Sep 2018, 20:31

You pose a very interesting question Silverfox which we have often pondered whilst sitting in our fav seats.

What is it about the Rainbow ? Well for us it is the simplicity. There are no gimmicks. It serves drinks and does nothing else (OK there are ices and ice creams in the freezer). It attracts the locals at the locals table. And Yannis has this quiet dry sense of humour. To us it’s perfect.

What is it about Symi. Again much thought has been given over the years as to why we return again and again and it is the friendliness and generosity of spirit of the Symi people that make it so special for us.

Great to see the Dolphin being mentioned and we definitely concur on Katsaras where the setting clearly demands a premium :shock:

Have a great Symi weekend.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Sep 2018, 09:06

Another great report and all that walking - up and down and back up again - must we working off all the food you're eating ;) The pizza looks delicious - not sure about the pasta with the big eye staring at you ;). I love the Dolphin, it's one of my favourites and I've spent many happy evenings eating there and it's a great place for people watching when I've been on my own :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports