Cheeky September Week

Archived trip reports

Re: Cheeky September Week

Postby Lisa B » 06 Sep 2018, 08:57

Hooray! So starts the fun reading. Glad you arrived safely, look forward to further installments :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Sep 2018, 19:57

Thursday

7AM and the bells at the clock tower tell me so!

Much louder dawn chorus from the birds in the trees down here but no goat and only chicken voices in the distance.

Not being sure if the wi-fi is free here and nobody around to ask I spent the first 15 minutes trying to work out how to tether the laptop to the phone. As you can see I've posted it was a great success!

So the first job was to get the blog up so transferring pictures from yesterday and trying to remember the day. Blog complete and as Liz was still snoring I was off for a morning stroll and the first “in your face” thing to notice is the Turkish Gulets in yesterdays picture have been pushed out into the wider harbour as the Salamis Filoxenia cruise ship has took up berth next to the clock tower.

The stroll took me me round to Nos beach and back in the warm early sunshine passing the boat yard (always a picture to be had here) and back to Anastasoulla where Liz had unpacked.

Has no shopping has been done we gave the buffet breakfast a try at the Nireus Hotel just a few steps away from our room and what a success it was. All you can eat hot (well warm) and cold buffet with cereals, pastries, yogurt, fruit and honey, cold meats, cheese, tomatoes, bacon, sausage, fried eggs and breads etc… Oranges juice and an array of tea and coffee! All for 7 Euro each, I can see this being a regular morning ritual!

20180906_092059.jpg

I had another wander round the back lanes while Liz sat in the sun and then I spent half an hour sat on the benches looking out on this splendid view.

Another shower (not bad weather) and we off to the soft seats for a cafe latte and a beer too. We had a great welcome from Neil and Toby who were just leaving to do a bit of shopping.

Now this may seem obvious but I went for the walk up the road (it really does fill up my senses in a way most will never understand) and Liz tried to use her fake loyalty card on the bus but Lakis smiled as he took her cash! (ps I made that bit up...which bit? Who knows!)

20180906_134323.jpg
"They tried to stop me going to Yiannis and I said No No No!

I arrived at a very lonely bar somewhere up in the hills which soon filled up with many that we knew and a few we met for the first time. Some you will all know and some
are here for the first time….you know who you all are and you are all top people! Suffice to say they are like minded people on a mission to enjoy this magical little rock!

The conversation went downhill...in a nice way...and despite being tempted to stay we made our way DOWN the Kali Strata which seemed so strange but welcomed by Liz rather than the climb to Sevasti. Oh does that feel different!

20180906_183955.jpg
Cat on the Kali Strata

As we were so late (why does time fly so fast at Yiannis Bar?) we went straight to the Trawler for our evening meal. As D&E had highlighted the stuffed mushrooms that was first on order followed by the garlic potatoes and a sea bream. We asked for them all together and a litre of house white.

20180906_192535.jpg
Stuffed Mushrooms

20180906_192525.jpg
Garlick Potatoes

20180906_192726.jpg
Finest Sea Bream

Now we must say it was one of the finest meals we have had on Symi the garlic potatoes are awesome and the fish was sublime. 41 Euros including the wine….go there!

Now I have to say I'm knackered so a slow wander back calling at the kiosk for water and a thought about the super rich persons yacht near the clock tower!

20180906_201919.jpg
Rich? Maybe!

I’ll not reveal my thoughts!

Metaxa night cap after a wonderful relaxing day.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 07 Sep 2018, 06:18

Back on top form Silverfox - good man :)

Starting with the Nireus buffet breakfast and ending with the evergreen Trata AND experiencing the Yiannis timezone in between - perfection.

Have fun.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 07 Sep 2018, 07:42

What a great start! Glad the strike didn't stop you getting to Symi. That breakfast at the Nireus sounds excellent value - you don't need lunch after all that ;)

I've only just finished breakfast but looking at those stuffed mushrooms and the rest of your meal made me feel hungry - I can't wait for some delicious Symi food :D

Looking forward to your next instalment.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 07 Sep 2018, 17:53

Not long now Gemma :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 07 Sep 2018, 19:10

Friday

Early night and I've managed the blog....so a few Metaxas coming up! :)

A bit later start as we have been tired and we do always sleep better with the sea air. No early morning walk and we gave in to having another Nireus breakfast which is great but we are eating far too much...now there’s a surprise!

Talk over breakfast was the day plan haha...even the guy at Nireus says don’t make plans! I fancied the walk over the top to Nimborio but Liz fancied the bus to Pedi….guess who won!

We walked around the harbour and Liz waited for the bus and I did the road walk up past the windmills and followed the road down into Pedi….great as I turned the top corner it’s a different world with all the Chickens, goats and other rural sounds just reminding what we are missing staying down.

20180906_140442.jpg
No Malt Loaf to be found either!

I was there before the bus and had to take off the sandals and dangle my feet into the clear and quite warm sea. Another film crew was on the jetty filming and once again if you see a fat, ugly guy dangling his feet in the sea in any blockbuster soon…..that’s me! I missed the old bit out on purpose!

feet.jpg
Dangling

Liz arrived which put an end to all the dangling and we had a slow walk to the left and a slow walk to the right with a break inbetween for a cool drink from the kiosk before ending up in Katsaras where we shared a Greek salad and drinks….I didn’t share my beer! We had a great ommellette here in June but to be honest we didn’t rate the salad and it wasn’t cheap.

The Rainbow Bar was calling and as Liz waited for the bus I walked back up the road and with great timing met up top at exactly the same time.

Update on the walking, Fitbit says:

Wednesday: 4.38 miles
Thursday: 5.9 miles
Friday: 7.04 miles

And my leg hurts!

The Rainbow was rammed so we had to sit in the naughty corner with Yianni apologising that we could not have “our seats” and even Neil never sat down for the first hour...most of the people we saw in Pedi ended up with us too….today was weird as everyone seemed to be following each other around.

We managed to get back in “our seats” and as usual time slips away so quickly!

A conversation with Allan yesterday on this very subject was interesting as we discussed how to describe the Rainbow time warp and the feeling of being there….it’s a simple bar in a quiet place but so many people “get it”.

I’ll throw it open to others...what does the Rainbow do for you….or we could say Symi. Why does it capture your soul?

Anyway we stayed too long but made our way down the Kali Strata and being tired decided to call in the Dolphin where we had a Carbanara Pizza and Prawns with spagetti in a creamy sauce. Last time we ate here I have to say was not the best, but tonight it was excellent!! Well worth a visit if you are here soon!

pizza.jpg
Great Pizza

Great Meal.jpg
Great Meal

A easy walk back to the apartments with Liz getting some Ice Cream before writing up this blog with a few Metaxas to boot!

Loving this cheeky week that will end too soon!

This Rock rocks!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 07 Sep 2018, 20:31

You pose a very interesting question Silverfox which we have often pondered whilst sitting in our fav seats.

What is it about the Rainbow ? Well for us it is the simplicity. There are no gimmicks. It serves drinks and does nothing else (OK there are ices and ice creams in the freezer). It attracts the locals at the locals table. And Yannis has this quiet dry sense of humour. To us it’s perfect.

What is it about Symi. Again much thought has been given over the years as to why we return again and again and it is the friendliness and generosity of spirit of the Symi people that make it so special for us.

Great to see the Dolphin being mentioned and we definitely concur on Katsaras where the setting clearly demands a premium :shock:

Have a great Symi weekend.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Sep 2018, 09:06

Another great report and all that walking - up and down and back up again - must we working off all the food you're eating ;) The pizza looks delicious - not sure about the pasta with the big eye staring at you ;). I love the Dolphin, it's one of my favourites and I've spent many happy evenings eating there and it's a great place for people watching when I've been on my own :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 08 Sep 2018, 12:48

That is a mighty fine looking pizza!! Nearly there...:)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Sep 2018, 07:10

Saturday

Slept very well as it’s cooler at nights and we seem to get a nice breeze through the window which gets left open all night.

We’ve decided to have a very lazy day, well Liz has, I set off up the steps behind Anastasoulla and right up to the flag behind the bank where you get such a stunning view of the harbour – well worth the climb if you are fit enough.

20180908_084821.jpg
What a view!

I made my way down to the square and bought water, off up the steep road and on the path to Nimborio. I am glad I set off fairly early as its much warmer today. I paused just past the church to take in one of my favourite views on Symi.

20180908_091658.jpg
What a view again!

The peace of the moment, all I could hear was the flag fluttering, the sea and bird song. Beautiful!

I made my way down the zig zag path and instead oif heading towards the Taverna turned back along the road to Yialos.

Liz met me as I rested on a bench watching the world go by as she had a leisurely hour on her own.

We sat a while and then headed for comfy seats and had a nice cafe latte, watching the water taxis fill up with the beach lovers. Collette said hello on her way past and we then had walk around the back streets looking in a few shops and dodging the day trippers from Rhodes before arriving at Elpidas for our first visit of the week with the usual generous mezes on the house and the ever so important cold Mythos!

20180908_121055.jpg
Meze 1

20180908_130303.jpg
Meze 2

We could hear the hills calling so Liz waited for the bus and I set off for my usual walk up the road and much to my dismay they are digging MY road up to lay cables by the look of things. I’m only kidding of course as Symi is a working Island, not a model Island just for tourists, and these jobs need to be done.

Another afternoon at the Rainbow Bar with like minded people and friends of course.

We’ve been invited to a special meal tonight as Toby and Neil celebrate their 1st wedding anniversary and it’s Neils birthday too!

We didn’t stay as late as we needed to go back and change before meeting up with Toby and his mum in “comfy seats” and soon followed by the rest of their guests and family and made our way round to Merakles for a great night with very nice people.

We had creamy mushrooms followed by a superb Beef Stifado washed down with plenty of white wine.

20180908_213228.jpg
On the house

The night ended far too soon as it tends to on Symi and we said our farewells and was going to call in at Elpidas for a nightcap but alas it was full so the bottle of Metaxa was emptied back at the apartments.

Another special day on Symi
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 09 Sep 2018, 08:47

"Another special day on Symi" - and another great report including one of my favourite Symi walks :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 09 Sep 2018, 09:13

Seems so much to do, I guess if we just ask we'll find these walks/paths? The food is looking amazing! :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Sep 2018, 19:49

Saturday update – I failed to mention on Saturdays blog whilst sat at Elpidas the Coast Guard boat berthed with around 15 refugees and we heard somone mention that one of them needed medical help. The rest were walked around the harbour to the far side where there is a port office where they will stay until a ferry takes them on their onward journey. We haven’t seen refugees arriving for a couple of years.

I forgot to post a picture of the wonderful beef stifado at Merakles.

20180908_203949.jpg
Beef Stifado

Ps for Saturday Fitbit says 8.7 miles…..lazy old bugger!

Sunday

This will be boring as we are going to have a very lazy day!

Up and about early and out to see the Army changing the greek flag in the Harbour. 7.30am!

20180909_074147.jpg

20180909_074548.jpg
Sunday morning

Then the short walk to comfy seats for cafe latte and toast followed by a wander around the shops where we found the houses that D&E liked and Liz perused a dress for our 2 year old grandaughter Ruby but at 35 euros thought better of it as it may not fit and even it it did probably wouldn’t get much chance to wear it as the good weather back home is probably coming to an end. A wander back up to the square and a small pie and soft drink at the Bakery.

20180909_104657.jpg
Are these the ones D&E?

More refreshments at Elpidas where we started with soft drinks, then beer and ended with Ouzo accompnided by the usual very nice mezes….you honestly can’t get much better than this place!

20180909_131906.jpg
Stuffed Vine leaves

Stayed a little too long so a brisk walk around for the bus and of course I did my “power walk” up the road….a few days of me walking on Symi does really boost my fitness levels despite all the food and drink! It was actually a power walk today!

Please, anyone who is a Symi virgin (haha) please take water with you anywhere, it really can catch you out with the heat and the hills/steps.

A quiet start at the Rainbow but gathered pace and Tobys mum starting a new trend with Liz and Libby ordering Rum Mojitos with more greenery than most Greek Salads! :)

20180909_174813(1).jpg

So much laughter and great people to meet at the Rainbow bar! :)

We passed on most of our lives savings onto Yianni and made our way down the steps….the light at this time of night is great and we just love walking down instead of up! (This statement is not entirely true as most of you will know!)

20180909_183919.jpg

Dolphin bar….same meal as the other night…..not quite as good!

Supermarket for night caps and juice and back home.

Early night!

Yes very boring to some.

We loved it!
Last edited by silverfox on 09 Sep 2018, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Sep 2018, 19:50

Lisa B wrote:Seems so much to do, I guess if we just ask we'll find these walks/paths? The food is looking amazing! :D

Just ask and we will try to help!

Most of the food is really good!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Sep 2018, 19:53

D and E wrote:You pose a very interesting question Silverfox which we have often pondered whilst sitting in our fav seats.

What is it about the Rainbow ? Well for us it is the simplicity. There are no gimmicks. It serves drinks and does nothing else (OK there are ices and ice creams in the freezer). It attracts the locals at the locals table. And Yannis has this quiet dry sense of humour. To us it’s perfect.

What is it about Symi. Again much thought has been given over the years as to why we return again and again and it is the friendliness and generosity of spirit of the Symi people that make it so special for us.

Great to see the Dolphin being mentioned and we definitely concur on Katsaras where the setting clearly demands a premium :shock:

Have a great Symi weekend.

We still can't descibe to others how it makes you feel but I suppose some have other places that do the same for them.

It's all about the senses and the contentment and relaxation....still no words!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 09 Sep 2018, 20:06

Silverfox, I think you leave as we arrive. :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Sep 2018, 20:18

Lisa B wrote:Silverfox, I think you leave as we arrive. :)

We leave on Wednesday morning but there are many nice people who will offer wisdom and advice....ignore all of that and just enjoy yourself....you can't help it on Symi :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 09 Sep 2018, 20:57

Thank you Silverfox, we arrive Saturday. We'll raise a glass or two to you as we visit places you've mentioned ;)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 09 Sep 2018, 21:44

Lisa B wrote:Thank you Silverfox, we arrive Saturday. We'll raise a glass or two to you as we visit places you've mentioned ;)

Actually, I think you arrive as I leave but silverfox is right, chat to people and decide whether to take any notice of their advice or not. Either way you will enjoy yourself!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 09 Sep 2018, 21:53

Thanks Allan, sad that we'll miss you, you've been such a part of our plans. x
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports