Cheeky September Week

Archived trip reports

Cheeky September Week

Postby silverfox » 29 Aug 2018, 08:51

Cheeky September Week

Well as we usually start the blog early we thought we would do the same even if we are only on the magical rock for such a brief time.

As we said our farewells on our first visit the locals said they would see us in September and we never thought it would happen!

Our usual weeks are late June early July where we meet up with some great people as I'm sure you all do at different weeks but we do have a problem with next year as due to our youngest son getting married we can't book the same weeks, and as such, we have been looking at the options for next year on a constant basis.

The cost next year looks to be a problem for many who want to visit Symi!

cheeky 1.jpg

We did want to get away with the weeks holiday we had left and looked at options in the UK but most were out of our budget but as Liz was monitoring prices on the Olympic site we took the chance on a deal to stay down for a week at Anastasoulla Mouragio.

cheeky 2.jpg

We are not sure about staying down and I'm sure we will miss the peace and rural "noise" up at Sevasti. We will, without doubt, make it up to the village for a beer or two!

So next Wednesday morning we fly from Manchester on the ASL flight and fingers crossed we won't have any delays!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Cheeky September Week

Postby Lisa B » 29 Aug 2018, 09:24

Safe journey! Looking forward to reading all about it :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 29 Aug 2018, 19:44

silverfox wrote:We will, without doubt, make it up to the village for a beer or two!

You'd better! ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 30 Aug 2018, 06:41

I'm looking forward to another Symi fix :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 30 Aug 2018, 17:39

Looking forward to your take on staying down as we spent many years up before coming down but once down liked down and then settled into a pattern of May up September down but even that has been up and down.

We are looking forward to being down in a few weeks time.

Safe journey and keep the words and pics flowing.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 30 Aug 2018, 21:50

D&E, is going up and down for food and drink of an evening easy?
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 30 Aug 2018, 22:16

Lisa B wrote:D&E, is going up and down for food and drink of an evening easy?

Yes it is...you can either walk up/down the Kali Strata or up the road which may take longer but has great views in my opinion. Both routes take energy and usually you are very sweaty walking up.

You can always take the bus which leaves on the hour and will drop you up top or even take you all the way to Pedi....1.7 euro any trip.

There are also taxis but not always available.

Please try to get up to the village and have a wander round though....it's a different world and well worth exploring.

And end up with a beer in the Rainbow!!!! :) Lefteris bar just above too!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 30 Aug 2018, 22:58

Thanks Silverfox, can't wait to explore and try all the places you guys have mentioned. Have a safe journey :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 31 Aug 2018, 16:15

What a good name for a holiday break... a cheeky week. Like you we were June visitors but after going last year and spending the first week in September we preferred it so September is now our month to visit. Unfortunately we cant do two trips in the same year however, we are working to that when we retire. We will look out for you.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Catmadjane » 31 Aug 2018, 20:08

Arriving tomorrow with my sister for a much longed for return visit. It's actually been 10 years since our last trip - incredible how time flies, but we remember Symi with love and can't wait to return. It will be our first visit in September (I've just retired from teaching). This time tomorrow we'll be there!
Catmadjane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 31 Aug 2018, 21:43

Catmadjane wrote:Arriving tomorrow with my sister for a much longed for return visit. It's actually been 10 years since our last trip - incredible how time flies, but we remember Symi with love and can't wait to return. It will be our first visit in September (I've just retired from teaching). This time tomorrow we'll be there!

Hope you really enjoy your return!

Have fun! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 03 Sep 2018, 20:11

Well hurry up Mr Silverfox...

beer.JPG
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pollychops » 03 Sep 2018, 20:16

Someone's had a go at that one.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Sep 2018, 21:09

Allan wrote:Well hurry up Mr Silverfox...

beer.JPG

One more day to work...keep the seats warm and the beer cool!

First one is on me!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 04 Sep 2018, 13:34

silverfox wrote:
First one is on me!

:)

Great!
I'll make sure Yianni has the champagne on ice :D
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Allan » 04 Sep 2018, 16:59

Pollychops wrote:Someone's had a go at that one.

Evaporation is a terrible thing in these temperatures, you have to be quick...

beer2.JPG
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 04 Sep 2018, 20:42

Thursday 2.15 pm!

Now that is a plan!

Off to bed!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 04 Sep 2018, 21:53

Allan wrote:
Pollychops wrote:Someone's had a go at that one.

Evaporation is a terrible thing in these temperatures, you have to be quick...

beer2.JPG

If the temp gauge at the top of the page is accurate then 31 degrees @ 23.51 its understandable the beer evaporates.
All packed and ready for tomorrow.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 04 Sep 2018, 23:19

Have a great time Pollychops.
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Sep 2018, 06:19

Wednesday

Another early start in a cool Sheffield as we call at Martins our eldest son at 3.15am. We were well prepared and fully packed last weekend.

An easy drive across the Snake Pass in the dark and we were soon at Manchester Airport with thoughts of “just get me to Symi and quick”

The reason why we are so early is to allow Martin to return to Sheffield before any traffic build up and get back to daddy duties. So early that no check in desk numbers for our flight yet so we waited in the area we checked in in June. Scanning the board and the desks the ASL logo soon appeared above one of the desks so we were 1st again checking in.

Got our Boots meal deal and found a quiet spot near to gate 300 and as expected through and on the bus to the plane on time. A “grand tour” is the only way I can describe the route to the plane as it was parked in probably the most inaccessible place ever.

A very smooth flight saw us into Rhodes by 2pm Greek time and onto the bus to take us down to the port but….with the ferry strikes this week the news was we were to go from the tourist port on the new boat Sebeco.

We had a walk back into the town and had a Giros Pitta at the Maria in the old markets. Not the best choice when a trip across on a small ferry was due which I was not looking forward to.

We’d left our cases behind the ticket booth, looked after by the rep, and on return were greeted by Colette. Pete was also there, returning to meet up with Gwen who’s been on the Island most of the summer. Lucky Gwen!

As the Sebeco needed a diesel top up it was a little late setting off but made good time after what could only be described as a roller-coaster ride, well the first bit anyway.

Into glorious Symi and berthed next to the bus station we were told by Nancy, the current Olympic rep, that we’d have to wait for a bus transfer so we set off walking round the harbour to our apartments behind the Police Station.

Basic but fine room on the first floor so no spiral staircase to encounter.

20180905_203938.jpg
20 yards from our room

We drop the case and after a very quick freshen up we are back round the Harbour full of Yachts to be greeted by a very busy Jordana at To Spitiko. No Sole, even though Jordana had rang round all of Symi, so I had some very tasty Lamb Chops and Liz the succulent Chicken Souvlaki washed down by a few cool beers.

20180905_215441.jpg
Chicken Souvlaki

20180905_215445.jpg
Lamb Chops

20180905_210314.jpg
Guess!

Tiredness now kicks in and the plan of nightcaps at Elpidas drift into another day so a quick trip to the supermarket for Metaxa and water (I know the holiday essentials). Some filming was taking place in the harbour and I'm claiming my fee if the old fat guy with carrier bag scene is used in any blockbuster!

20180905_224542.jpg
Nightcap

Liz had a quick call home and we needed sleep….oh and a Metaxa night cap.

Back in paradise!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports