Go fourth to Symi

Archived trip reports

Re: Go fourth to Symi

Postby Lisa B » 28 Jun 2018, 06:55

I'm hoping we can fit everywhere in too, if you want to share your top ten please do! ;)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 28 Jun 2018, 18:34

Wednesday 27th June

Another late start, a definite pattern emerging, as I headed out and down the Kali Strata stopping off to take a few pictures on a ledge that i'd seen people on from the other side of the harbour. It's a great vantage point but a little scary if you venture close to the edge. Very dark clouds were over the Vigla and it was somewhat overcast so we thought we may see a little rain at somepoint.

20180627_105815.jpg
Dark Clouds

Liz came down on the 10.30am bus and we went back along towards the new port to have a proper look at Petalos with it's nice sunbeds and big bean bags on the decking area. It is quite nice and we sat by the waters edge and had a nice coffee and we had a catch up with son number 2 who called us on Facebook video. We were contemplating staying and having lunch later but as got darker and started to rain we decided to head back round as we thought the other places had better cover.

20180627_110508.jpg

20180627_111220.jpg
We had a coffee not the Dom Perignon

We ended up in Elpidas for another drink and they brought us out a lovely dish with cheese pies and samosas followed by another beer, wine and another great meze of cheese, cucumber, tomato and salami as we watched the world go by. It did rain more heavily as we sat but before heading for the bus the sun was shining again.

20180627_121755.jpg

20180627_130621.jpg

20180627_121022.jpg

I’m having a little trouble with my knee so decide to take the bus up with Liz to be on the safe side and not end up not being able to walk for the rest of the holidays. We got off at the kiosk and were round at a very quiet Rainbow bar in quick time and Yianni was off to pour our drinks before we were sat down. Another hour or two talking rubbish before off up the lanes for a quick change. I did my good deed for the day as an elderly Greek lady dropped some money, it was not much but I picked it all up and made sure she got it back for which I was rewarded by a lovely smile and her thanks with a gesture to her heart. Back down for 7PM for our second visit to Yiannis meeting up with Jo, Toby and Neil we were soon walking up past the new Chinese clothes shop based in the old Sylagos and had a wonderful greeting by Zoe for our evening meal.

Much white and red wine was consumed over Taramasalata, Courgette balls, Chicken with Cashews, Symi Goat, Meatballs and Beef Stifado and the laughter flowed. We always love these special nights on Symi!

Our third trip to Yiannis in one day for an Ouzo night cap before saying farewells for the day.

A lovely day!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 28 Jun 2018, 21:45

Thursday 28th June

It could be a short blog today as we plan a very lazy day at the beach!

We are woken at around 6am ish with heavy rain and this is not something we had ever seen so a peep out to see water running down the steps from further up in Chorio….not that you can get much further up at least at this side of the village. No breakfast again and we were waiting on the corner at 9.30am for our trip to the beach. We were looking out for a minibus when a 7 seater car pulled up and the driver confirmed this was indeed our transport to take us on our day trip. (14 Euro for us both).

We were soon up the road and on the small road to Toli Beach with no stop at the advertised Monastery of Archangel Michael Roukouniotis, not that we or our 4 other travellers seemed to be bothered. We have seen so may of these on so many islands. We passed the army base to our left and the goats were running from the car as we reached the dust track where I had read that the bus usually transfers everyone to an open backed truck….but this little car took us all the way down to the bay.

Goats on a wall.jpg
Goats on the beach

It was quite breezy, which lasted all day, and we soon found sunbeds at the far side away from the Taverna with an old table, and a bench behind but shaded by an olive tree and a little pine tree too!

45 minutes later a few brave souls were having a swim as we headed for a coffee at the now opened Daphne Taverna with a great view of the turquoise sea. We were told to pay later and had another lazy hour or two with a resident noisy cicada in the olive tree. :)

DSCN4136.jpg
The flag

At around 1pm we went for lunch, which was Daphne Salad….Shredded carrot, lettuce, apple, white and red cabbage with walnuts etc.., Spicy Chicken with yogurt and fried potatoes and a very fresh white wine. It was all very nice as the taverna was boosted by a few hire cars and scooters bringing people away from the town.

20180628_131643.jpg
Daphne Salad

20180628_131647.jpg
Spicy Chicken with Yogurt

20180628_131247.jpg
Wine

A very pleasant 90 minutes or so with the great views and another carafe of white wine with the wonderful view and the noise of the waves. We could sit here again for sure!

20180628_134707.jpg
The colours

Another topping up of the vitamin D before we were whisked back at 5pm and dropped off on the top corner…..very strange not having to walk up! A very quick discussion and decision to stay “home” as the sea breeze and sunshine had done the deed and wiped us out for the night.

Now I know some will notice but this is the first day ever i’ve not managed a beer at the Rainbow and I do apologise and will promise to make up for it in the time left on the magical rock! Shame on Silverfox!!!!!

Liz rustled up a cheese and tomato omelette and a ham and cheese sandwich as I caught up on this blog and then watched a stream of the England match with a few of that Greek brandy.

It was obvious we would lose as I was watching.

Liz snored as the last Metaxa went down and I realised that we may be a little burnt…...the wind and sun is so deceptive.

Tomorrow will be another adventure….
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 28 Jun 2018, 22:29

Hi Silverfox, Dapnes Taverna is a great place for lunch and the view to match. Dont worry about missing out in the Rainbow...remember you went three times on Wednesday. Rain in June is not the norm and I hope it gets back to normal for you.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Fina » 29 Jun 2018, 06:58

Hi Silverfox. Very good blog again. Question..were did you book the trip yo Toli beach?
We were on Pedi beach yesterday that too was very windy
Fina
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 29 Jun 2018, 07:48

More great posts though I wonder how many bottles of the Dom Perignon they sell at 380 euros :shock: That would be my spending money for the week gone...

Fina, in the past I've booked the trip to Toli Beach through Symi Tours, though I skipped the truck transfer (we were on the Symi Tours mini bus not in a car) and walked the last part of the journey from Michael Roukouniotis down to Toli beach. It's a shame that the trip didn't stop at Michael Roukouniotis if you've never been in before as it's well worth a visit IMHO - though I know what Silverfox means about seeing so many.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 29 Jun 2018, 09:22

Another on the list!! :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 29 Jun 2018, 09:54

A three shift Wednesday at Yannis - that is impressive Silverfox.

And the dinner at Zoë's was equally so.

It was a wonder that a search party wasn't sent out on Thursday :D

Keep up the good work.

Top blogger.

D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Fina » 30 Jun 2018, 06:29

Thanks Gemma. Had a good night last night in Secret Garden. It was music night. If you like blues music try it. The mezes are excellent.

Fina
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 30 Jun 2018, 09:38

Fina wrote:Thanks Gemma. Had a good night last night in Secret Garden. It was music night. If you like blues music try it. The mezes are excellent.

Fina

Secret Garden is right below my studio Fina so I've been a few times and must agree with you about the excellent mezes - Katja's apple cake is pretty good too ;) They play Greek music some nights too - or they have in the past.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 30 Jun 2018, 13:52

Is anyone there mid Sept?
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 07:53

Friday 29th June

Up early at 7.30am with a planned walk into Nimborio. No breakfast, the fridge was bare as we’d used everything! Quick shower and I’m off down the Kali Strata before 9am. Not seen Maria with her herbs this year. Taking on water in the quiet Yialos then up the road at the side of the square. There were plenty of people outside the bakery enjoying pastries and coffees.

DSCN4095.jpg
Original seating idea outside the new bakery

I carried on up the hill passing the goats and chickens, the church gate was locked so no photo opportunities. Made my way down the zig zag path with the lovely smell of herbs and the superb views. Another one of the views I can never tire of. I had a wander past the quiet taverna and then doubled back and along the coast road to Yialos.

DSCN4155.jpg
The path heading towards Nimborio

20180629_092707.jpg
The reward for the walk

20180629_094853.jpg
The peace of Nimborio

Liz came down in the bus and we met for coffee in the soft seats, followed by a trip to the bakery for some Symi pies and Liz got some sweets from the supermarket to help with her dry cough.

Decided to try Petalos for lunch and ordered the pulled pork buns with pickled cucumber which were soft in texture, Beef burger which appeared with fries rather than the advertised potato wedges and and Murphys stout for a change.

20180629_130023.jpg
Pulled pork buns with pickled cucumber

20180629_130027.jpg
Nice Beef Burger

Very nice burger but overall very expensive, won’t be returning at those prices which is a shame because they have made it all very nice. Be warned to look at the prices as I’d not looked and was charged 7.50 euro for the Murphys!

20180629_132719.jpg
Prices

By the time I had walked back up the hill I had covered 7.5 miles. Liz came up on the bus as usual. It was very quiet in Yiannis, stayed in bar far too long and not wanting to walk back up to change and back down again we decided to go straight down the steps to To Spitiko, joined by Jo and enjoyed the last of the sun before it disappeared over the hill. We had very nice Tzatziki, Liz had Sea bream and Jo and I had Lamb Kleftico with red and white wine.

20180629_191329.jpg

20180629_193155.jpg
Sea Bream

20180629_193204.jpg
Kleftico

After saying our goodbyes to Jordana we jumped into a taxi back up to the village hotel (4 euros) and Jo persuaded us to go for a nightcap and our first visit to the Sunrise where the cats stopped me drinking my ouzo too quickly. Around 10pm we said our goodbyes and walked up the road past the sports hall and climbed the steps to Sevastis.

One last drink looking at the stars. A long but very enjoyable day.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 08:27

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I love all the talk about trying to fit it all in when on Symi. This last week we have so many conversations about trying to fit in all the places we'd like to eat. If you go to the beaches and on the boat trips this narrows it down too.

We are also narrowed down by our essential afternoon chill out at the Rainbow Bar!

Self inflicted Symi problems? Who'd have them eh?

:? :? :D :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 01 Jul 2018, 09:17

Another lovely day and I love the walk to Nimborio over the top, the photos that accompany your blog are stunning too :)

14 euros for a burger is expensive! (I won't mention the stout :shock: ) and even the water is expensive at 3 euros - unless that's the going rate for a large water on Symi.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby katy » 01 Jul 2018, 11:44

Lisa B wrote:Is anyone there mid Sept?

Yes Lisa, we are staying at an apartment in Pedi again this year. It makes the walking a bit more challenging (except St Nicks) but we love it. it means we have to stop at Rainbow more often on the way back from Nimborio 8-)
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 12:37

You do get the water with an ice bucket and to be fair to them the sunbeds are free.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 01 Jul 2018, 15:23

We visited Petalo a couple of times last September and agree is is a bit more pricey than other places but we also felt it was bit different from the normal Symi venue. It is more akin to a chill out bar in Rhodes or dare I say Ibiza but certainly worth the visit. The sunbeds are possibly the comfiest on the Island and as Silverfox says they are free, so if you fancy a drink and a chill then its a good place to try. We will be going again late this year in September. Great blog Silverfox...keep up the good work as we are also enjoying your holiday as much as you as its feels like we are there with you.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 01 Jul 2018, 15:38

We're staying on the harbour, I see everyone mentions Rainbow, must make sure we visit. :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby katy » 01 Jul 2018, 16:58

You certainly will Lisa , it's worth the walk up, Yianni is very welcoming.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 01 Jul 2018, 17:12

Loving the blog as always Silverfox and still getting over that Murphy’s :shock:

At that price the barrel will still be there when we arrive in late September :mrgreen:
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports