Go fourth to Symi

Archived trip reports

Re: Go fourth to Symi

Postby silverfox » 05 Jul 2018, 18:21

Monday 2nd July

We awoke on this wonderful island to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary and Lizs 57th birthday as we have done 4 years in a row now.

Liz wanted some time to chill and shower before starting out so I wandered off up into the paths of upper Chorio, which I never tire of, finding new paths, a slightly different view or some chickens or goats to delight you….i’ll not mention the number of cats encountered! Any old plunderers or pirates must have had fun finding their way around for sure!

20180702_101617.jpg

20180702_105803.jpg
The Nissos Chios in the new harbour

20180702_105815.jpg

The loose plan was for me to return to Sevasti Studios before making our way down to Yialos for a light lunch and a coffee, beer or both but by the time I got back I needed a lay down for 45 minutes, with the temperature soaring I’d not taken on enough water. Even when you know it can still catch you out if you are not careful.

So the plan changed with us off down to the Olive Tree where we had a delightful Apple Sherbet drink each, water and me plumping for the 3 cheese toastie with a beetroot chutney and Liz went for poached eggs on toast. We had a further jug of the very tempting home made lemonade.

20180702_134310.jpg
Apple Sherbet

These fresh juices and lemonade do really de-hydrate you so were now rejuvenated for our afternoon beer and chat session at the Rainbow and today I only had the short walk up a few steps. You are transported into a different time zone and the time slips through your hands and soon it was time to now rush up for a quick change before heading back down to Haritomeni for our evening meal.

As we passed the Rainbow Neil and Toby were still there and a couple, Robert and Barbara were just asking for directions to our destination so we offered to show them the way...as we talked we found out it was also Roberts birthday too! We were soon there and welcomed by Michael the waiter and our new found friends had booked the next table!

We had the Courgette Balls and Tzatziki for starters and I had the Lamb Chops again and Liz went for a Pork fillet. All very nice but the Tzatziki was a little runny for our liking. We accompanied with a nice house white and water. A nice touch at the end with a small cake and cream was presented to Liz on her birthday with only the one candle. (They can’t get everything right! :D)

20180702_201621.jpg

20180702_201630.jpg

20180702_204359.jpg

The views at night are incredible from Haitomeni and we sat chatting with R&B until the wine ran out and Robert then ordered an Ouzo night cap for all which were followed by another from me and then yet another on the house.

20180702_210920.jpg
The view

It’s great when you meet such like minded and lovely people to spend your evening with and it was past midnight before we asked if it would be possible to get a taxi home. There were a few worrying seconds as Michael said it would be unlikely at this hour, but no need to worry, the family car would take us all home. After saying our farewells dropping R&B off down in the harbour we were whisked right up to Sevasti.

We did offer 5 Euro to pay but after 3 or 4 refusals I gave up as not to offend the family. I do apologise as I never got his name but the parting was “buy me a beer the next time you are here”

Free cake, free Ouzo and a free lift home…..you can be sure these people are so generous!

Another Ouzo night cap on the balcony before another great day in this paradise came to an end.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 05 Jul 2018, 19:20

Tuesday 3rd July

So our final day this year was a late start again from last night late finish but I was soon off, despite the increasing heat, as I wanted one last walk down into Pedi to try to catch underwater fish videos with my Go Pro, which failed miserably as the little things just swim off!

So back up the road and down past the widmills round the road one last time, apart from the minibus to the ferry in the morning. I met Liz off the bus before getting a few Euros out of the ATM in case we needed. A trip round to the new bakery and buying the odd present to take home before meeting up with Toby and Neil for our last full meal on the Island this year.

Toby and Liz went for the Sole which is the closest you may get on Symi to traditional UK style fish and chips unless anyone knows different. Neil had a substantial Ceasar salad and I opted for a succulent chicken fillet. All was good but after pinching a taste of the Sole we ordered another serving as this was excellent, all washed down with 2 large carafes of white wine.

20180703_125901.jpg

20180703_125854.jpg
The wonderful Sole

20180703_135611.jpg
2 random blokes drinking wine....well Toby and Neil

We said our farewell to Jordana who is still the finest host on the island for sure and the boys and Liz went for a taxi and I did the final hot walk up the road to soak that view into my mind for another year. Absolutely magical.

20180703_141012.jpg
Jordana at To Spitiko

Our final afternoon at the Rainbow was full of laughter but came to an end too soon with our final goodbyes to all and thanking Yianni for his service and his thanks for his winter cash from us! :D

An uncomfortable night and an early trip down to the Ferry before the long haul home.

20180704_052215.jpg
Waiting for the mini bus to take us to the ferry

What can we say for our fourth visit?

Yet again a wonderful holiday on this special, magical little rock!

20180704_073504.jpg
We will return!

You can’t help but fall in love with this place.

We will return.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 05 Jul 2018, 20:56

Hi Silverfox, another year gone and yet another great blog posted. Thanks for sharing your adventures on this great island. I am sure you and Liz will be back next year for another session. Only 9 weeks till we return.......cant wait. Thanks again for sharing your holiday.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 05 Jul 2018, 21:06

Pollychops wrote:Hi Silverfox, another year gone and yet another great blog posted. Thanks for sharing your adventures on this great island. I am sure you and Liz will be back next year for another session. Only 9 weeks till we return.......cant wait. Thanks again for sharing your holiday.

Thanks Pollychops.

I hope you get chance to share a little of your own time there!

Enjoy your time too in a great place!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Jul 2018, 07:34

"You can’t help but fall in love with this place.

We will return."

A lovely final blog silverfox and I agree entirely with your sentiments. Out of the 43 Greeks islands that I've stayed on there are a few other islands that I've visited more than once but non as many times as Symi. There is something special about it that keeps drawing you back :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 06 Jul 2018, 11:27

Hi Silverfox,
I certainly will be posting and I think I am correct in saying D&E will be on Symi after we return home so there should be a run of four weeks of blogs.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 06 Jul 2018, 13:00

Count us in on the blogging in Sept / Oct :D

But a huge thanks to Silverfox. A great blog and your pics are just superb - a great eye & a great camera. What do you use if you don’t mind us asking ?

Also those weird & wonderful pics at Toli - did you finally invest in a drone ?

Now get on the website & book 2019 - you know it makes sense :shock:

Yasou,

D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Jul 2018, 13:42

@Pollychops Great news! Looking forward to you sharing a little of your time with us on Symi! :)

@D&E Most of the pictures are from my Samsung Galaxy S8 or Nickon Coolpix B700. The weird pics are from a Insta 360 One which gives you very mixed results.

And we look forward to the masters at work in September with a very foody blog no doubt! :)

You know us too well....we have already been looking at next year but we can't do the normal weeks :(
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 06 Jul 2018, 15:04

silverfox wrote:@Pollychops Great news! Looking forward to you sharing a little of your time with us on Symi! :)

@D&E Most of the pictures are from my Samsung Galaxy S8 or Nickon Coolpix B700. The weird pics are from a Insta 360 One which gives you very mixed results.

And we look forward to the masters at work in September with a very foody blog no doubt! :)

You know us too well....we have already been looking at next year but we can't do the normal weeks :(

If you cant do June/July we would suggest September, we always visited in June but last year tried Sept and it was a better time for us, not as hot but the water was lovely.
I have been looking at buying a new camera and was torn between a Digital SLR or a Bridge version. I think you have convinced me to go for the Bridge version as the results you have on yours are fantastic. I am not an expert on photography and having the SLR I would have to carry all the bits that go with it so the Bridge may be a better option for me. I also use my mobile as I have a good camera on that too.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Jul 2018, 15:42

"If you cant do June/July we would suggest September, we always visited in June but last year tried Sept and it was a better time for us, not as hot but the water was lovely.
I have been looking at buying a new camera and was torn between a Digital SLR or a Bridge version. I think you have convinced me to go for the Bridge version as the results you have on yours are fantastic. I am not an expert on photography and having the SLR I would have to carry all the bits that go with it so the Bridge may be a better option for me. I also use my mobile as I have a good camera on that too"

We are looking at September and also other Islands (shocked i've said that) as I still like the adventure of a new place. I would do both but i'm very restricted on time off work so it would be difficult to have 2 full holidays a year.

The B700 is not the best quality but has an amazing zoom. There are so many to choose from so it does depend on the pictures you like to take. See pic below of the moon from the new jetty on Wednesday morning as we left and another shot of the cat stand off in the Rainbow last week.

DSCN4227.jpg

Stand Off.jpg
Cat stand off in the Rainbow....the black one won with the white one walking off in slow motion
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports