Go fourth to Symi

Archived trip reports

Re: Go fourth to Symi

Postby Allan » 22 Jun 2018, 10:37

Gemma1 wrote: the Kantina is definitely on my list of places to visit, though I might be better going at lunch time as it gets dark so much earlier in late September.

Things could well have changed by September but at the present time the Kantina is only open from 6pm onwards so check before walking up there at lunch time!
It is worth visiting though, as Silverfox says. To see what they have built from the utter devastation of the November storm is impressive and I think they deserve support. I'll certainly be going back!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pollychops » 22 Jun 2018, 10:55

Hi Silverfox,

Great start to your blog and now looking forward to reading your adventures on this wonderful island. I got stuck in a lift once................three hours it took to get it back in operation. Now I take the stairs and dont care how many levels I have to walk.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 22 Jun 2018, 19:39

So is the Kantina a cafe or restaurant or ? Still compliing a list of 'look out fors' :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 22 Jun 2018, 20:46

Lisa B wrote:So is the Kantina a cafe or restaurant or ? Still compliing a list of 'look out fors' :)

It's more of a cafe Lisa. Think of the type of transport cafes you see at the side of the road serving tea from a caravan:

panorama3.jpg

panorama.jpg

Limited menu, mostly fast food kind of stuff as Silverfox says but the staff are lovely, they are justifiably proud of what they have achieved and the view is tremendous:

panorama2.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 22 Jun 2018, 20:54

Certainly on this list now then! Do you get recognised too?
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 23 Jun 2018, 07:59

Friday 23rd

I was awake at 7am yet again and was making toast and coffee and that soon had Liz moving around. The plan today was for me to go for a walk and to meet up in Yialos later for an early lunch. After a quick shower i was down through the maze of the old paths turning right at Zoe's Taverna. We had heard that Manteoes (sp) may be re-opening but when I passed there was no sign of any work going on.

Following the road down towards Pedi I cut to the right across from the church and headed down through the valley. The path gets a little dusty and rocky in places but it's a well defined route so difficult to lose your way as you pass all the chickens and the odd goat. Eventually I reached the football pitch which is a sad sight having been so ravaged by last autumns flood but I was uplifted as I turned the corner to see the new 5 a side pitch that only opened last night.

DSCN3805.jpg

DSCN3808.jpg
The new 5 a side pitch

Pedi is so peacefull in the morning as i ambled along stopping to take the odd photo and watching all the little fish in the clearest of water. A water bought by the water taxis where people were being whisked off to St Nics for a day on the beach.

20180622_101947.jpg

Heading back up the road I bumped into Collette who had news of the silver bus breaking down too so it looked like Symi had no buses running now! Around the same time Liz txt messaged me with the same news and she would set of walking with us to meet up at the windmills. Passing the garage on the left as I walked up the mechanic was laid under the bus with Lakis stood patiently waiting for the repair to be completed.

20180622_103455.jpg
Being repaired

We never tire of the views of the harbour and as we slowly made our way down Lakis passed us so at least one bus was back in service and Liz was now happy that she'd get her lift back up to Chorio later :)

20180622_105446.jpg

Were soon down in a busy Yialos as all the boats were arriving from Rhodes with the "brolly followers" and had our cafe latte in Aigialos.

The newly extended To Spitico was already so busy when we arrived at 12.15 ish but we were soon ordering our food from an extended menu too. We were served by a pleasant young waitress as Jordana was so busy, although she still found time to come and greet us once she had a little break. Within a few minutes the place was full which is great to see.

The stuffed tomatoes were not available so Liz went for the chicken fillet and I opted for the Prawn Saganaki but Cheese Saganaki turned up, but Jordana soon dealt with. A large draft beer for me and a refreshing Amstell Radler (2% beer and lemon drink) for Liz.

20180622_123742.jpg

20180622_124330.jpg

A visit to the new bakery near the back of the square wher Symi Pies, cheese pie and bread was all purchased before a quick beer in Alegrito before the bus back up the hill for Liz whilst I did a power walk (haha) back up the road to the windmills. As usual Yianni was pouring our drinks as soon as he spotted us and crisps and cheesy popcorn (Liz now addicted) appeared. A pleasant late afternoon with a few of the regulars of the Rainbow before the climb back to Sevasti with a few more supplies.

We had a simple night on the balcony with pies and ham,egg and tomato sandwiches.

It really is great staying up on the top edge of Chorio where you get all the tinkling of the goat bells, chickens, birds, donkeys and the odd dog barking added to the smell of herbs really fills up the senses and gives you a great feeling of wellbeing and contentment.

As we finish our nightcaps we think we spot the yellow bus back on the roads in the distance....all is well in the world.

We love Symi.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Jun 2018, 08:25

Allan wrote:
Gemma1 wrote: the Kantina is definitely on my list of places to visit, though I might be better going at lunch time as it gets dark so much earlier in late September.

Things could well have changed by September but at the present time the Kantina is only open from 6pm onwards so check before walking up there at lunch time!
It is worth visiting though, as Silverfox says. To see what they have built from the utter devastation of the November storm is impressive and I think they deserve support. I'll certainly be going back!

Thanks for the update Allan, I might have to have an early dinner one night instead. I will probably walk past during the day on one of my strolls round the area ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Jun 2018, 08:35

What a brilliant report silvefox, you're certainly selling Sevasti to me - it's only the thought of walking back up after a few glasses of wine that puts me off as Anastasia is fairly central and not as far to stagger ;) . I remember when I stayed at the Irini - I daren't have more than 2 glasses of wine as had all those steps to contend with.

Looking forward to your next instalment :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Fina » 24 Jun 2018, 14:40

Lovely to meet up with Silverfox on Thursday down in the Yialos thanks for the advice. As we are 1st time visitors to Symi we needed all the help we could get.The ladies at the Olive tree were very helpful too, they told us we would soon get our bearings. I did doubt it but can honestly say after 3 days we are doing quite well.

We are staying at the Taxiarchis, nice place lovely views of Pedi bay. Had lunch in Tolis taverna yesterday in Pedi. Absolutely delicious Kalamari. We did watch the grandmother cleaning it in sea, knew it would be nice and fresh.

Very hot today been down to Yialos again lunch at Tholos recommended by Silverfox and Katherine from Secret Garden. Very nice I had stuffed aubergine other half had Symi shrimp both delicious.

Think We might try and find Haritomeni tonight..wish us luck.

Nearly forgot to say loving Symi so peaceful, people so friendly, food good.

Fina
Last edited by Fina on 24 Jun 2018, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 24 Jun 2018, 14:53

Look forward to hearing your report on Haritomeni and how to find it :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 24 Jun 2018, 17:10

Fina wrote:Lovely to meet up with Silverfox on Thursday down in the Yialos thanks for the advice. As we are 1st time visitors to Symi we needed all the help we could get.The ladies at the Olive tree were very helpful too, they told us we would soon get our bearings. I did doubt it but can honestly say after 3 days we are doing quite well.

We are staying at the Taxiarchis, nice place lovely views of Pedi bay. Had lunch in Tolis taverna yesterday in Pedi. Absolutely delicious Kalamari. We did watch the grandmother cleaning it in sea, knew it would be nice and fresh.

Very hot today been down to Yialos again lunch at Tholos recommended by Silverfox and Katherine from Secret Garden. Very nice I had stuffed aubergine other half had Symi shrimp both delicious.

Think We might try and find Haritomeni tonight..wish us luck.

Nearly forgot to say loving Symi so peaceful, people so friendly, food good.

Fina

Hi Fina,

Good to hear from another first timer and sure it wont be your last visit. We also stay at Taxiarchis with Frank and enjoy the views over Pedi valley. If you do manage to rise before the sun do try and get up to enjoy the sun rising over the hills in Turkey it is spectacular and worth the effort. I hope you find Haritomeni as the food is good and the view down to the harbour are again spectacular. Enjoy your first time in Symi.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 24 Jun 2018, 17:13

Hi Silverfox,

We have never tried To Spitiko so I have it on the list for this years visit. Looking forward to tomorrow blog.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 24 Jun 2018, 17:18

And so say all of us! ;)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 24 Jun 2018, 20:10

Saturday 23rd

Apparently I won the the international Symi snoring competition overnight with an extra merit award thrown in! I got a few kicks and elbows for a prize. Ps at least I don’t snore from both ends!

Great to hear that Fina and her partner are enjoying this magical place...it will capture your heart and mind! It was so nice to meet you both and i’m sure you will return.

I’ve not done my Fitbit stats so:

Wednesday: 4.5 miles
Thursday: 7.38 miles
Friday: 7.84 miles
Saturday: 5.11 miles

Pathetic!!!!!

It has been a little cooler so good for walking but i’m unfit this year so will see how I go.

We woke late which seems to be happening a lot, we never sleep well at home but we could sleep all day here, not sure if it’s the fresh air or the beer, wine and Metaxa?

Liz rustled up some eggs, bacon and tomatoes for a simple but very enjoyable breakfast.

I need certain fixes on Symi and one is to seek out new paths or sights up in Chorio so I had a good walk filling my senses….a few sad sights of the paths washed away in last years floods but also new life with young chicks, of the feathered variety I might add.

20180623_103532.jpg

DSCN3897.jpg
Little Chicks

We had decided to have a very lazy day so I headed back to the square and down to the kiosk for a water, noticing the cat feeding tubes in the car park and also noticing that I was wrong about Manteos, that plenty of work is taking place….don’t know how I missed that!

I met Liz in the square where a few young lads were playing music on their phone very loudly and made the short trip to the Olive Tree where we had a simple lunch of cheese toastie and cheese and tomato sandwich with a wonderful beetroot chutney, Amstell Radlers followed by some homemade lemonade….oh and the usual laughter from Jenine and Tina.

We were at Yiannis Rainbow bar a little earlier but soon had good company from the many people who meet up there...always good and lots of laughter, oh and a few beers!

A quick walk up to Sevastis before we are on our way back down again to make our way to Haritomeni Taverna with its superb views.

We were early so managed to get a great table by the edge with the greatest of views, even better than Mythos sadly now closed.

20180623_201618.jpg

Neil had raved about the Courgette Balls so they were the first in order and I had the Lamb Chops and Liz went for fillet steak. We also had a spicy cheese dip and superb bread.

20180623_192429.jpg
Simply the best ever Courgette Fritters!

I must say that the Courgette Balls (fritters) are the best i’ve ever tasted and there were more than enough lamb chops to feed 2 people! Liz’s steak was still ok but slightly overcooked.

20180623_193942.jpg
Lamb Chops

A litre of the house white went down nicely as we watched a setting sun over the hills.

We did enjoy the setting and the food so booked again for Liz’s birthday next week. They booked us a taxi which picked us up on the corner in no time and we were soon dropped off up top where a few Metaxa night caps followed staring at the stars.

You can’t put a price on these lazy lazy days!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 24 Jun 2018, 20:16

Symi moon:

DSCN3974.jpg

Goodnight!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 24 Jun 2018, 22:07

I agree Haritomeni has one of the best views of the harbour especially when you catch the sun setting in the hills. Great photo
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 25 Jun 2018, 19:38

Sunday 24th June

Yet another late morning with so much sleep to catch up on. Too late for breakfast so I set off through the upper lanes of the village and ventured down the old steps whilst Liz took her time getting ready with a plan to catch the bus down later.

The steps seem to get steeper, or is it me who gets older – half way down I gave advice to an american couple about either getting lost in the lanes or go down the road to the square. Down in Yialos at the back of the square another family asked advice on how to get up the hill – feels light i’m part of the Symi tourist information.

DSCN3988.jpg
The old steps

I headed for the clock tower and bought water at the kiosk, sat on a bench and watched the boats coming and going for a while. For the first time since we have been coming the clock seems to be working and even chimes on the hour. Although as we are in Greece there still seems to be confusion with the buses, the yellow one was parked up so hopefully the silver one will transport Liz down the hill to meet me.

DSCN4018.jpg
The silver bus

The silver bus did indeed appear a little late and Liz was soon around the harbour to meet up by the clock tower. A very slow walk round by the boat yard and on to Tholos by Nos beach for our much needed lemon potato fix accompanied by Spicy meatballs with tomatoes and yogurt sauce, Symi cheese saganaki and garlic bread, large and small mythos and water.

DSCN4026.jpg
The view

As usual there was far too much food and the fish had the advantage of some of the garlic bread. It did seem to be quitier than we have seen in the past and there does seem to be a lot less boats in the harbour at the moment.

Quicker than usual stroll around the harbour to ensure Liz caught the bus back up top. Once again to add to the confusion it was the yellow bus! I took my usual walk up the road, Liz taking the bus to the kiosk rather than the Windmills due to the road down into the village being resurfaced.

I managed to get down the newly resurfaced road which is almost completed and we met at Yiannis for a much needed beer. It soon got very busy inside and out and up at Lefteris as the England match was being shown. A few cheers whilst we sat there, well six at least as England were well worthy winners and kept Neil busy with the beer flowing.

All the alternative chat was about a very nasty insect bite on my leg with discussion and suggestions of visit to the doctor and even of amputation. Nurse Anne took a look and mentioned something about me being puffy but being a typical Yorkshire bloke I self prescribed 3 or 4 metaxa’s.

Does Andy do an emergency Helicopter timetable?

Slow walk back up to the apartment followed by quiet night in with a simple meal of bacon, egg and tomatoes followed by my prescription.

I'm supposed to keep my leg elevated but it was bandaged up to stop any weeping onto the bed clothes....i'll not add pictures of said bite in case you eating!

I did weep as the Metaxa ran out! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Fina » 26 Jun 2018, 07:15

Thanks Pollychops, not sure we will ever be awake before dawn,definitely just after thanks to the dawn chorus. Not complaining love it.

We didn't get to Heretomeni we went for a drink in the Rainbow got talking and decided it was too late. Tonight we intend to go straight there.

We went to Agios Nickolias beach yesterday, nice beach taverna was ok. We like Tolis is on Pedi beach which is we're we are head e d for another lazy day.

Fina
Last edited by Fina on 26 Jun 2018, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 26 Jun 2018, 07:40

Another great report and those courgette fritters look delicious :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SiobhanMarie » 26 Jun 2018, 10:21

really enjoying the blog and your fantastic pictures. I will be visiting Symi next week for the second year running. Symi is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and the food is gorgeous!
SiobhanMarie
Starting Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports