Go fourth to Symi

Archived trip reports

Re: Go fourth to Symi

Postby Lisa B » 19 Jun 2018, 13:59

We're there second week Sept, we want to use the taxi boats but also try and get some walking in too. I will take a closer look at the walks and see what takes our fancy. On count down.....
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 19 Jun 2018, 16:44

Thanks pollychops. I've fancied the walk to Toli each year but it will depend on the heat and i'm not as fit as last year so I'm not sure on the walks this year. Liz is not fit enough to do the walk so unless we could co-ordinate a bus we could not meet up for lunch.

As usual we will go with the good ideas and everything will change! :)

Anyway last minute jobs to sort and try to get some sleep as we fly in the morning.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Andy W » 19 Jun 2018, 17:53

Be a bit careful with the foxyislandwalks site. The Symi section at least is out of date. To give an example, a lot of the walks from Chorio start from Lefteris Kafenion at the square. Fine so far. Then you're supposed to walk uphill, past the Old Pharmacy, until you reach the takeaway food shop on your left, then turn right up some steps by a supermarket. But the takeaway food shop closed last year, and the supermarket vanished without trace several years ago, it is now a toyshop of sorts. Worse, if the walker doesn't know this, they'll arrive in 100 metres or so at Zoe's Taverna on the left side of the road (who would probably do you a takeaway if you asked nicely) and the American Supermarket on the right, with steps leading up on the right just before the supermarket.....
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 20 Jun 2018, 08:09

Hi Andy, I thought it would be as some of the images on the walks looked old. My walk to Toli will start by walking round to Nimborio then over the hill via the old ruins and the walled garden. I think from there I will be following my nose to the top of the hills then hopefully I will see the small house towards the north and track that leads to Toli. I will be well prepared with water and sun protection just in case.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 21 Jun 2018, 19:26

Wednesday 20th June

The day started early, just after 3am, leaving just as the red glow in the sky emerged. We travelled the short distance to pick up our eldest son who was to be our taxi driver to the airport.

As we headed out once again lucky enough to see a young fox crossing the road ahead of us.

An easy trip across the Snake Pass to Manchester to find ourselves the first at the check in desk. This opened at 5am with another 30 mins to get through security.

Found a quite area to sit after purchasing a meal deal from Boots for on the flight. Flight left slightly early and after a good flight but cramped conditions and arrived in Rhodes 8 mins early. There was a slight confusiion with the Olympic rep on the transfer coach but nothing to worry about and after a slight delay we were on our way to the ferry.

We were expecting to be dropped at the taverna at the top of the port as in previous years but the driver insisted on taking us down to the new cafe in the port area. Having enjoyed previous visits to the taverna we made the walk back up with our cases and once again were not disappointed with the food. One very large greek salad, tsaziki, fried potatoes and toasted bread, 2 large Mythos one small Amstel all for 26 euro.

20180620_160343.jpg

At around 5pm walked back down to the port to find the very big ferry already in dock. Collected tickets on seated on the ferry within a few minutes.

20180620_170542.jpg

The ferry took approx 1 hour, not as impressive arriving in the new quay as it was docking at the clock tower. As sometimes is the case, I had a chaotic arrival on a greek island - I decided to try and video the arrival at the new dock whilst Liz went down to collect luggage and prepare to disembark. After taking as much video footage as i could i headed down the stairs on the ferry and noticed a weathered greek man and his wife just entering a lift. Thinking he knew what he was doing I joined them in the lift, as the doors closed he began to press every button and started to panic, he abviously thought the ferry was going to leave within him getting his car off. The lift kept stopping at differnt floors where he got more and more agitated as it was not the correct level. having told him to calm down I decided that I would make my own way down to find the exit. Having arrived at the luggage hold there was no sign of Liz or the cases and a nice young member of staff politely asked was I missing something, for which I replied yes my wife and cases. She smiled as I left the ferry to try and find were both were.

Quick trip up the hill in the minibus to be met by Manilos at the corner and led to our usual room. Quick change and down the lanes with the usual great welcome from Yannis and also Collette. Straight into Georgios were we ordered shrimp pasties, Beef in mataxa and mushrooms and fried potatoes, litre of house white which was very nice.

20180620_203813.jpg

20180620_203820.jpg

Followed by a night cap at Yannis Rainbow Bar where we met up with Jo and had one or two or even 3 ouzo nightcaps. A very tired walk up to Sevastis with no time to look at the stars.

So good to be back on this magical island.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 21 Jun 2018, 21:04

After the very long day and too many Ouzo's last night neither of us expected to be up around early but a good nights sleep with cooler temperatures than usual we were up and about at 7am and soon had everything unpacked and in it's place. The advantage of coming back to the same place and even the same room is that it's like your own apartment so you can settle so quickly.

A slow walk down to the square and then down a deserted Kali Strata we headed for the Aigialos Cafe Bar (soft seats) for a very nice Cafe Latte and watch the world go by....well into relax mode by now! :)

Liz had a slow wander round before sitting on a bench near the clock tower while I had a walk round to Nos Beach and already it sounds just like last years blog :D

We met back up in the extended Elpidas for a cooling orange juice and the on the house biscuits.

20180621_100836.jpg

We decided we would do another night up top so a simple lunch of Giros Pitta and beers at the little place between the herb stall and the fish market. The cats fighting throught our stay! A cheap option at 8.80 euro.

20180621_114845.jpg

Having never been in the duty free shop on the corner we thought we'd have a look. The price of the Metaxa and Ouzo in there is so cheap....is it just for people who are leaving the island or can anyone buy at those prices???

20180621_123447.jpg

Having a relax we went back in front of Manos Fish Taverna to sit on the bench and take in the views and the sun and whilst there a couple who saw us on the ferry stopped to ask us advice on the bus back to Chorio. We gladly shared what little knowledge we have and as it turns out it was our fellow forum member Fina and her partner. So nice to meet you both!

A quick beer stop at Alegrito bar before Liz headed for the bus (yellow bus missing so one of the silver ones) and me enjoying my first, of many, walks up the road. I never tire of this walk with such superb views...please buy water before trying! :)

Meeting at the windmills we wandered down the road to find resurfacing going on so a quick detour through the lanes before reaching our favourite watering hole where Yianni was pouring the beer as we arrived.

Our usual catch up with a great welcome from Neil, Toby, Jo and so many faces we've met over the last few years and the banter was as enjoyable as ever! It does help to offer Walkers cheese & onion crisps to the "unfortunate locals" It does make their day! :D

A "few" beers later we headed up the lanes calling at the supermarket just up from Zoes for supplies and made our way up to Sevasti's with a very quick brush up before we headed further up the hill.

We decided to try the Kantina up on the hill with all the recycled furniture and as we were early the only ones there. The views are stunning down into Pedi and across to the windmills and they have a great set up. The food was OK but more fast food than Taverna standard with what we ordered. Chicken Souvlaki with chips with beer and coke cost 19 euro.

20180621_192359.jpg

20180621_192348_001.jpg

A slow walk down the hill back to Sevasti and on arrival another very friendly couple started chatting and again off the forum and was talking about the blogs and asked if I was Silverfox....D&E must get this all the time I'm sure.

Sorry I didn't get your names....I'm really crap at this!

They did mention how these blogs are so usefull, and enjoyable even to experienced visitors so all you people keep blogging!

A Metaxa or 2 whilst typing this up....what a pleasure.

Now what will tomorrow bring?
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 22 Jun 2018, 05:46

Hi Silverfox,

Glad to read you & Liz are “home” and have quickly settled into your Symi routines.

We are really looking forward to being “with you” on a virtual June trip through your top blog with those excellent pics.

Have fun - we know you will.

D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 22 Jun 2018, 07:28

Great start and glad you managed to find Liz when you finally got off the ferry. I had a vision of you ending up back in Rhodes with the Greek man - still stuck in the lift :)

I might try walking up the road this year rather than walking up the Kalistrata and the Kantina is definitely on my list of places to visit, though I might be better going at lunch time as it gets dark so much earlier in late September.

Keep up the great reports, I've still got 3 months to wait :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 22 Jun 2018, 10:37

Gemma1 wrote: the Kantina is definitely on my list of places to visit, though I might be better going at lunch time as it gets dark so much earlier in late September.

Things could well have changed by September but at the present time the Kantina is only open from 6pm onwards so check before walking up there at lunch time!
It is worth visiting though, as Silverfox says. To see what they have built from the utter devastation of the November storm is impressive and I think they deserve support. I'll certainly be going back!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pollychops » 22 Jun 2018, 10:55

Hi Silverfox,

Great start to your blog and now looking forward to reading your adventures on this wonderful island. I got stuck in a lift once................three hours it took to get it back in operation. Now I take the stairs and dont care how many levels I have to walk.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 22 Jun 2018, 19:39

So is the Kantina a cafe or restaurant or ? Still compliing a list of 'look out fors' :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 22 Jun 2018, 20:46

Lisa B wrote:So is the Kantina a cafe or restaurant or ? Still compliing a list of 'look out fors' :)

It's more of a cafe Lisa. Think of the type of transport cafes you see at the side of the road serving tea from a caravan:

panorama3.jpg

panorama.jpg

Limited menu, mostly fast food kind of stuff as Silverfox says but the staff are lovely, they are justifiably proud of what they have achieved and the view is tremendous:

panorama2.jpg
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 22 Jun 2018, 20:54

Certainly on this list now then! Do you get recognised too?
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 23 Jun 2018, 07:59

Friday 23rd

I was awake at 7am yet again and was making toast and coffee and that soon had Liz moving around. The plan today was for me to go for a walk and to meet up in Yialos later for an early lunch. After a quick shower i was down through the maze of the old paths turning right at Zoe's Taverna. We had heard that Manteoes (sp) may be re-opening but when I passed there was no sign of any work going on.

Following the road down towards Pedi I cut to the right across from the church and headed down through the valley. The path gets a little dusty and rocky in places but it's a well defined route so difficult to lose your way as you pass all the chickens and the odd goat. Eventually I reached the football pitch which is a sad sight having been so ravaged by last autumns flood but I was uplifted as I turned the corner to see the new 5 a side pitch that only opened last night.

DSCN3805.jpg

DSCN3808.jpg
The new 5 a side pitch

Pedi is so peacefull in the morning as i ambled along stopping to take the odd photo and watching all the little fish in the clearest of water. A water bought by the water taxis where people were being whisked off to St Nics for a day on the beach.

20180622_101947.jpg

Heading back up the road I bumped into Collette who had news of the silver bus breaking down too so it looked like Symi had no buses running now! Around the same time Liz txt messaged me with the same news and she would set of walking with us to meet up at the windmills. Passing the garage on the left as I walked up the mechanic was laid under the bus with Lakis stood patiently waiting for the repair to be completed.

20180622_103455.jpg
Being repaired

We never tire of the views of the harbour and as we slowly made our way down Lakis passed us so at least one bus was back in service and Liz was now happy that she'd get her lift back up to Chorio later :)

20180622_105446.jpg

Were soon down in a busy Yialos as all the boats were arriving from Rhodes with the "brolly followers" and had our cafe latte in Aigialos.

The newly extended To Spitico was already so busy when we arrived at 12.15 ish but we were soon ordering our food from an extended menu too. We were served by a pleasant young waitress as Jordana was so busy, although she still found time to come and greet us once she had a little break. Within a few minutes the place was full which is great to see.

The stuffed tomatoes were not available so Liz went for the chicken fillet and I opted for the Prawn Saganaki but Cheese Saganaki turned up, but Jordana soon dealt with. A large draft beer for me and a refreshing Amstell Radler (2% beer and lemon drink) for Liz.

20180622_123742.jpg

20180622_124330.jpg

A visit to the new bakery near the back of the square wher Symi Pies, cheese pie and bread was all purchased before a quick beer in Alegrito before the bus back up the hill for Liz whilst I did a power walk (haha) back up the road to the windmills. As usual Yianni was pouring our drinks as soon as he spotted us and crisps and cheesy popcorn (Liz now addicted) appeared. A pleasant late afternoon with a few of the regulars of the Rainbow before the climb back to Sevasti with a few more supplies.

We had a simple night on the balcony with pies and ham,egg and tomato sandwiches.

It really is great staying up on the top edge of Chorio where you get all the tinkling of the goat bells, chickens, birds, donkeys and the odd dog barking added to the smell of herbs really fills up the senses and gives you a great feeling of wellbeing and contentment.

As we finish our nightcaps we think we spot the yellow bus back on the roads in the distance....all is well in the world.

We love Symi.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Jun 2018, 08:25

Allan wrote:
Gemma1 wrote: the Kantina is definitely on my list of places to visit, though I might be better going at lunch time as it gets dark so much earlier in late September.

Things could well have changed by September but at the present time the Kantina is only open from 6pm onwards so check before walking up there at lunch time!
It is worth visiting though, as Silverfox says. To see what they have built from the utter devastation of the November storm is impressive and I think they deserve support. I'll certainly be going back!

Thanks for the update Allan, I might have to have an early dinner one night instead. I will probably walk past during the day on one of my strolls round the area ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Jun 2018, 08:35

What a brilliant report silvefox, you're certainly selling Sevasti to me - it's only the thought of walking back up after a few glasses of wine that puts me off as Anastasia is fairly central and not as far to stagger ;) . I remember when I stayed at the Irini - I daren't have more than 2 glasses of wine as had all those steps to contend with.

Looking forward to your next instalment :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Fina » 24 Jun 2018, 14:40

Lovely to meet up with Silverfox on Thursday down in the Yialos thanks for the advice. As we are 1st time visitors to Symi we needed all the help we could get.The ladies at the Olive tree were very helpful too, they told us we would soon get our bearings. I did doubt it but can honestly say after 3 days we are doing quite well.

We are staying at the Taxiarchis, nice place lovely views of Pedi bay. Had lunch in Tolis taverna yesterday in Pedi. Absolutely delicious Kalamari. We did watch the grandmother cleaning it in sea, knew it would be nice and fresh.

Very hot today been down to Yialos again lunch at Tholos recommended by Silverfox and Katherine from Secret Garden. Very nice I had stuffed aubergine other half had Symi shrimp both delicious.

Think We might try and find Haritomeni tonight..wish us luck.

Nearly forgot to say loving Symi so peaceful, people so friendly, food good.

Fina
Last edited by Fina on 24 Jun 2018, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 24 Jun 2018, 14:53

Look forward to hearing your report on Haritomeni and how to find it :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 24 Jun 2018, 17:10

Fina wrote:Lovely to meet up with Silverfox on Thursday down in the Yialos thanks for the advice. As we are 1st time visitors to Symi we needed all the help we could get.The ladies at the Olive tree were very helpful too, they told us we would soon get our bearings. I did doubt it but can honestly say after 3 days we are doing quite well.

We are staying at the Taxiarchis, nice place lovely views of Pedi bay. Had lunch in Tolis taverna yesterday in Pedi. Absolutely delicious Kalamari. We did watch the grandmother cleaning it in sea, knew it would be nice and fresh.

Very hot today been down to Yialos again lunch at Tholos recommended by Silverfox and Katherine from Secret Garden. Very nice I had stuffed aubergine other half had Symi shrimp both delicious.

Think We might try and find Haritomeni tonight..wish us luck.

Nearly forgot to say loving Symi so peaceful, people so friendly, food good.

Fina

Hi Fina,

Good to hear from another first timer and sure it wont be your last visit. We also stay at Taxiarchis with Frank and enjoy the views over Pedi valley. If you do manage to rise before the sun do try and get up to enjoy the sun rising over the hills in Turkey it is spectacular and worth the effort. I hope you find Haritomeni as the food is good and the view down to the harbour are again spectacular. Enjoy your first time in Symi.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 24 Jun 2018, 17:13

Hi Silverfox,

We have never tried To Spitiko so I have it on the list for this years visit. Looking forward to tomorrow blog.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports