Go fourth to Symi

Archived trip reports

Re: Go fourth to Symi

Postby D and E » 01 Jul 2018, 17:16

Lisa B wrote:We're staying on the harbour, I see everyone mentions Rainbow, must make sure we visit. :)

You will work up a nice thirst and one of Yiannis lagers in a chilled glass is the perfect reward for the effort.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 01 Jul 2018, 17:20

D and E wrote:Loving the blog as always Silverfox and still getting over that Murphy’s :shock:

At that price the barrel will still be there when we arrive in late September :mrgreen:

Spoken like a fellow scotsman
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 01 Jul 2018, 17:32

D&E, that has certainly sold it to us! :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 17:33

D and E wrote:Loving the blog as always Silverfox and still getting over that Murphy’s :shock:

At that price the barrel will still be there when we arrive in late September :mrgreen:

The price of that Murphys will haunt me for life, I can tell you!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 17:54

Saturday 30 June

I had a slow walk down the road despite a little Sciatica down my right hand side which I’m blaming on laying on the sunbed at Toli Bay the other day. Liz came down on the bus (she is their best customer in June) and joined me for a nice slice of Galaktoboureko (custard pie) and drinks in the little cake shop by the International Taverna.

20180630_110040.jpg
Galaktoboureko

Sat on a bench by the harbour for a while to watch the world go by. A couple of boats had come in- Symi II and Ryzos Cruises from Lindos but still seemed very quiet.

20180630_123317.jpg

We had a walk round to Elpidas for a beer and a coffee which were served with very nice Mezes.

20180630_115403.jpg
Posted pictures of these before but no apologies as they taste so good!

Decided to go back up to Yiannis a little earlier to meet Jo who was to be leaving on the afternoon ferry today. Liz caught the 1pm bus and I met her up top after doing the walk back up the road.

It has been a little cooler with more cloud than previous years but the temperature seems to be ramping up this afternoon to what we normally get in June.

Had an enjoyable afternoon at Yiannis and sadly had to say farewell to Jo who had to go for her ferry. Made our way back up thorough the lanes stopping at the supermarket to stock up and purchase a bottle of wine to go with our evening meal which we had ordered at Sevastis.

A couple of hours relaxing on the balcony catching the last of the sun and our meal was served at 7.30pm. Feta cheese and peppers baked in a clay pot, pitta bread, Home made burgers fried potatoes and a salad garnish for me and Liz opted for the Pork chop and fried potatoes. We'd planned well this time with a nice bottle of white wine from the supermarket chilled in the freezer compartment.

20180630_194557.jpg

20180630_194851.jpg

A very enjoyable meal and one of the best we have had so far and seems to have been very popular with our fellow guests....so many places to eat with so little time! The meal was followed by some lovely greek delight on the house. A quick chat with both sons back home before an early night.

I was totally gone by 9pm...nothing to do with Metaxa, I blame the fresh air!

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 21:27

Experiment with a new camera at the Kantina....

VID_20180621_170516_036_screenshot_2018-07-01 21-13-57.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 01 Jul 2018, 21:28

Wow! That's great :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 21:36

Fat lad on Toli Bay.... :)

Fat lad.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2018, 21:58

I apologise....

ball small.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 02 Jul 2018, 05:55

Sunday 1st July

Kalo Mina!

Well even after an early night, and waking up quite early, the day started slowly. You know the one, always during a 2 week holiday something does catch up with you, even when relaxing and you just need that extra 15 minutes sleep. Anyway about 1.5 hours (alright 2) later I was up and about and Liz started to wake up too.

We had fried eggs and toast with a little ham and tomatoes just to give us some energy for the taxing day ahead...Liz does the cooking on holiday as it’s usually me at home!

A quick shower for us both, after posting the blog, Liz actually left for the 11.30am bus to Yialos before I was even ready – now that is a first!

I was soon out of the blocks though and was down through the lanes and onto the Kali Strata and made it to the harbour within 15 minutes and this was filming with my Go Pro with hopefully stabilised footage that will get posted on Youtube if is any good. Please excuse any heavy breathing!

So despite Liz thinking she was “top dog” this morning I was sat on the bench across from the bus station waiting...although with a sweaty brow and shirt, I may add, looking out onto another very quiet late morning in the harbour. There just doesn’t seem to be as many yachts around as in past years.

20180701_113520(0).jpg

20180701_113554.jpg
Symi Bus information

20180701_113613.jpg
Trips to Panormitis

We sat for a while before walking along the front and wandering the lanes and spotted some nice specimens at the fish market.

20180701_121421.jpg
These won't be there long

We ended up in the International Taverna for lunch and the big decision was either a few small plates or a main course each. We both went for the roast lamb and potatoes which was quite substantial with the meat very tender and great potatoes. No Mythos so I had a Fix for the first time this year and Liz had a coke.

20180701_123301.jpg
Lamb and potatoes at the International

As the day trippers arrived as if by magic we left and as the plan took shape (they do sometimes) we called at the new bakery to purchase some of the delightful traditional Symi Pies, best described as a slightly spongy cheese scone, for a snack later for our night in.

A quick Cafe Latte break in Aigalos before our usual separated trip up to the Rainbow with me walking in the heat (filming again) and Liz getting her loyalty card stamped (if only they did such things) on the yellow bus up to the kiosk.

20180701_121236.jpg

A quiet but very pleasant afternoon at the Rainbow where Liz got a couple of books signed by James Collins (also know as Toby to people who know him). Liz has enjoyed all his books so if you like a good read here’s a link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Collins/ ... 422&sr=8-1

He hasn’t paid me...”Honestly” Bugger that’s another free plug he’s got! :)

20180701_160652.jpg
James Collins Symi author

We stayed far too long relaxing so after the walk back up top, filming again, we had the last 30 minutes of sun on the balcony before those wonderful pies, with the very expensive Lurpak spread thickly. Mmmmmmm!

20180701_192821.jpg
Symi pies

We have had news of our departure on Wednesday at 5.30am on the new big ferry with a stop over for a few hours at the Anixis Apartments before onwards to the airport. Any advice on what may be close to escape a pool area would be welcome!!

A few nightcaps planned before a reasonably early night.

Just 2 more days on this magical place so what shall we do?

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 02 Jul 2018, 09:23

"We stayed far too long" now if we had a € for every time we have said that on Symi ............... :D

We were taken to the Anixis on our way back in May. Very welcoming. On arrival we had excellent bacon rolls and coffee and as we were in excellent company (you know who you are, both) with so many stories of past Symi Visits being exchanged the hours rolled by. There was pool side, cool interior and a garden area that we sat out on. Had we been on our own we would probably have ventured across the road (its the main airport road) and headed down to the sea which we would guess is only a 5 minute walk.

The September before we waited for the second bus in a hotel on the seaward side of the road and when we walked down found numerous really nice taverna's and cafe bars along the sea front.

Have a lovely final two days - we will wait with bated breath to see what you get up to.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2018, 18:11

Thanks for the info D and E!

For anyone heading here the temperatures are ramping up big time....very hot!

Don't forget your hats and remember... cold beer is available at the Rainbow!

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2018, 18:46

Avrio avrio!

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2018, 20:48

Same old problems....the heat in the last 2 days kicked in with a few bigger drinking sessions....I will finish the blog asap but just back in the UK and at work at 8am!

Avrio :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 05 Jul 2018, 06:32

Hope you had a good journey home silverfox and at least you've come back to decent weather - though shame work gets in the way ;) Thanks for sharing your holiday with us, I really enjoyed reading your blog :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 05 Jul 2018, 15:18

Silverfox, thanks for sharing your time on Symi with us. Certainly informative and entertaining :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 05 Jul 2018, 18:21

Monday 2nd July

We awoke on this wonderful island to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary and Lizs 57th birthday as we have done 4 years in a row now.

Liz wanted some time to chill and shower before starting out so I wandered off up into the paths of upper Chorio, which I never tire of, finding new paths, a slightly different view or some chickens or goats to delight you….i’ll not mention the number of cats encountered! Any old plunderers or pirates must have had fun finding their way around for sure!

20180702_101617.jpg

20180702_105803.jpg
The Nissos Chios in the new harbour

20180702_105815.jpg

The loose plan was for me to return to Sevasti Studios before making our way down to Yialos for a light lunch and a coffee, beer or both but by the time I got back I needed a lay down for 45 minutes, with the temperature soaring I’d not taken on enough water. Even when you know it can still catch you out if you are not careful.

So the plan changed with us off down to the Olive Tree where we had a delightful Apple Sherbet drink each, water and me plumping for the 3 cheese toastie with a beetroot chutney and Liz went for poached eggs on toast. We had a further jug of the very tempting home made lemonade.

20180702_134310.jpg
Apple Sherbet

These fresh juices and lemonade do really de-hydrate you so were now rejuvenated for our afternoon beer and chat session at the Rainbow and today I only had the short walk up a few steps. You are transported into a different time zone and the time slips through your hands and soon it was time to now rush up for a quick change before heading back down to Haritomeni for our evening meal.

As we passed the Rainbow Neil and Toby were still there and a couple, Robert and Barbara were just asking for directions to our destination so we offered to show them the way...as we talked we found out it was also Roberts birthday too! We were soon there and welcomed by Michael the waiter and our new found friends had booked the next table!

We had the Courgette Balls and Tzatziki for starters and I had the Lamb Chops again and Liz went for a Pork fillet. All very nice but the Tzatziki was a little runny for our liking. We accompanied with a nice house white and water. A nice touch at the end with a small cake and cream was presented to Liz on her birthday with only the one candle. (They can’t get everything right! :D)

20180702_201621.jpg

20180702_201630.jpg

20180702_204359.jpg

The views at night are incredible from Haitomeni and we sat chatting with R&B until the wine ran out and Robert then ordered an Ouzo night cap for all which were followed by another from me and then yet another on the house.

20180702_210920.jpg
The view

It’s great when you meet such like minded and lovely people to spend your evening with and it was past midnight before we asked if it would be possible to get a taxi home. There were a few worrying seconds as Michael said it would be unlikely at this hour, but no need to worry, the family car would take us all home. After saying our farewells dropping R&B off down in the harbour we were whisked right up to Sevasti.

We did offer 5 Euro to pay but after 3 or 4 refusals I gave up as not to offend the family. I do apologise as I never got his name but the parting was “buy me a beer the next time you are here”

Free cake, free Ouzo and a free lift home…..you can be sure these people are so generous!

Another Ouzo night cap on the balcony before another great day in this paradise came to an end.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 05 Jul 2018, 19:20

Tuesday 3rd July

So our final day this year was a late start again from last night late finish but I was soon off, despite the increasing heat, as I wanted one last walk down into Pedi to try to catch underwater fish videos with my Go Pro, which failed miserably as the little things just swim off!

So back up the road and down past the widmills round the road one last time, apart from the minibus to the ferry in the morning. I met Liz off the bus before getting a few Euros out of the ATM in case we needed. A trip round to the new bakery and buying the odd present to take home before meeting up with Toby and Neil for our last full meal on the Island this year.

Toby and Liz went for the Sole which is the closest you may get on Symi to traditional UK style fish and chips unless anyone knows different. Neil had a substantial Ceasar salad and I opted for a succulent chicken fillet. All was good but after pinching a taste of the Sole we ordered another serving as this was excellent, all washed down with 2 large carafes of white wine.

20180703_125901.jpg

20180703_125854.jpg
The wonderful Sole

20180703_135611.jpg
2 random blokes drinking wine....well Toby and Neil

We said our farewell to Jordana who is still the finest host on the island for sure and the boys and Liz went for a taxi and I did the final hot walk up the road to soak that view into my mind for another year. Absolutely magical.

20180703_141012.jpg
Jordana at To Spitiko

Our final afternoon at the Rainbow was full of laughter but came to an end too soon with our final goodbyes to all and thanking Yianni for his service and his thanks for his winter cash from us! :D

An uncomfortable night and an early trip down to the Ferry before the long haul home.

20180704_052215.jpg
Waiting for the mini bus to take us to the ferry

What can we say for our fourth visit?

Yet again a wonderful holiday on this special, magical little rock!

20180704_073504.jpg
We will return!

You can’t help but fall in love with this place.

We will return.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 05 Jul 2018, 20:56

Hi Silverfox, another year gone and yet another great blog posted. Thanks for sharing your adventures on this great island. I am sure you and Liz will be back next year for another session. Only 9 weeks till we return.......cant wait. Thanks again for sharing your holiday.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 05 Jul 2018, 21:06

Pollychops wrote:Hi Silverfox, another year gone and yet another great blog posted. Thanks for sharing your adventures on this great island. I am sure you and Liz will be back next year for another session. Only 9 weeks till we return.......cant wait. Thanks again for sharing your holiday.

Thanks Pollychops.

I hope you get chance to share a little of your own time there!

Enjoy your time too in a great place!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports