Normal Service Is Resumed

Archived trip reports

Re: Normal Service Is Resumed

Postby Fina » 22 May 2018, 18:57

Hope you have a lovely evening Dand E, thanks for the alternative route to Pedi, we are also staying at the Taxicharis. Don't know if we will be there the same time as Pollychops. We are there for 3 weeks from 20th June 'till 11th July. 1st visit to Symi and really looking forward to it.

Fina
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 23 May 2018, 08:34

Hi D&E, thanks for the info on the walk to Pedi we will seek that one out when we visit in September.
Another great blog and it goes so quick.

Hi Fina, our visit is in September, you will have a great stay at Taxiarchis, Frank and Eva are great hosts. Being your first visit to Symi it won't be your last.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 23 May 2018, 19:06

Gemma1 wrote:I can't believe that today is your last day :( - a week on Symi just isn't long enough (but better than no Symi ;) )

Those stuffed mushrooms do look delicious. Another thing to try in September - I need to make a list ;)

Hope you have a wonderful last day on Symi and thanks for another great blog :)

Many thanks for the very kind comments - I am about to post about our “wonderful” last day as we have just landed back in the UK.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 23 May 2018, 19:07

Lisa B wrote::o How long do we have to wait til we can follow your antics again?? :D

We will be back on Symi being our usual daft and greedy selves on 20th September :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 23 May 2018, 19:11

That'll be odd we'll be reading your stories whilst being there too!! :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 23 May 2018, 19:28

Tuesday 22nd - Last Full Day on Symi

The plan was to have breakfast in the Olive Tree, pop down into Yialos and then back to the apartment and go down to Pedi for a final swim.

All started out well and we had an excellent breakfast. We walked down the School / Lazy Steps and had our usual frappe in Cafe Aiglios. E wanted a wander around the shops so D sat himself down in the Katoi Bar where one small beer became two and then when E returned there was an ouzo & retsina which became a second as just sitting watching the world go by was so enjoyable.

B32D9726-5067-4380-AF23-A68069F17E95.jpeg
Olive Tree Breakfast E

557CDF7D-2350-4FAE-8A2A-43520CB72B56.jpeg
Olive Tree Breakfast D

With the ATM beside the chemist it was too easy to then spot a ring in the jeweller next to the ATM. Deliberations were required so an adjournment to Cafe Alegrito was required where several further ouzo & retsina’s and a Mojito were had before we caught a taxi up. Oh and the ring was purchased.

5680A861-6B14-4A35-BF88-8DDB135DA5CE.jpeg
Mojitos Alegrito

9C82A56E-119D-4B86-AE91-21C2BB425A64.jpeg
The Result of Mojitos

It’s amazing how quickly packing goes after a day like that. The cases were packed and we were in Yannis for the evening ouzos & retsinas before thanking him for his hospitality over the last week and a fond farewell until September. We say farewell to A at the boutique and then to J who we will see again later in the year and then we head to Zoë’s for our final dinner. D had asked Zoë to consider making her delicious fish soup so he knew what he was having for mains and E chose the equally delectable beef stiffado. To start we had the bouryadi which is perfect for dipping the bread in and the tuna fish salad. We respectfully said no to the complimentary wine as it had been a bit of day on that front ! But yes to the yoghurt with cherries again. We said farewell to D&G who still have another week and then to Zoë and her wonderful family.

We were home around 11:30 which was much later than planned as we had to be up around 3:30 to put the last few things in the cases.

Wednesday 23rd - The Voyage Home

Never was an alarm on the phone less welcome !

Lesson learned - go swimming in the sea rather than in ouzo & retsina on the last day !!!

So at the unearthly hour of 4am D pops down the stairs to help S with her case. There is a light on and “Sam” is already up so comes out to bid us kalo taxidi. We head to the bins and the bus picks us up at 4:30. It’s then up to Sevastis, down to Pedi Beach Hotel and we are at the clock tower by 4:50 where Nancy, the Olympic Rep gives us our boat tickets and we wait as the sun starts to rise and the Blue Star arrives spot on time at 5:50.

1593D731-AA6A-4C4B-B581-F4894606C711.jpeg
Waiting For The Very Early Morning Ferry

A very pleasant crossing and the Transfer Bus takes us to a very friendly hotel in Ixia by 8am. Not one we have been to before - it is on the opposite side of the road to where the bus drops us. The staff are excellent and we have coffee and bacon rolls whilst spending a very entertaining and pleasant few hours exchanging stories with S and N, who is a Symi legend. We are picked up at 12:40 and ease through check-in and security as there is no passport control but there is a brand new duty free area.

The incoming flight has just landed at 14:20 as we wait in the departure lounge and D writes up the blog.

An uneventful flight but they did manage two bar services - still cash only. Unlike Rhodes, Manchester Airport seem to have only one set of steps so it took a while to disembark the aircraft. Bags were the usual 20 minutes later than the target time they give themselves.

So now for a G&T and a another visit to Sampans.

We will not bore you with the rail journey home tomorrow - we understand there may be a strike.

Reflecting on our short visit we would say that Symi just gets better and better. For quite a while things didn’t change much on Symi but over last year and this some of our more familiar shops, businesses and a couple of favourite restaurants have disappeared but Symi is a living island that needs to adapt to a changing and difficult economic climate. It could certainly be done with more staying visitors so spread the word.

Thank you to everyone who has read this short blog and for the many kind comments.

We will return on 20th September with our Pedi and Nos adventures over a three week period.

9FF63460-DF57-4248-8895-216541338EBC.jpeg
Home For The Last Week

Yasou.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Fina » 23 May 2018, 20:15

Thank you D and E, very informative for us newbies to Symi. 4 weeks today I will be reading through names of Tavernas and bars you have mentioned...Then trying to find them. I am sure we will love Symi as much as you do. I will report back.

Fina
Fina
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby D and E » 23 May 2018, 21:54

Fina wrote:Thank you D and E, very informative for us newbies to Symi. 4 weeks today I will be reading through names of Tavernas and bars you have mentioned...Then trying to find them. I am sure we will love Symi as much as you do. I will report back.

Fina

Each person will want to discover Symi in their own way and that is part of the magic.

But we have always found that this Forum is full of extremely helpful people so if there is anything you want to ask just jump in and post.

Have a wonderful time.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 23 May 2018, 22:04

So many thanks D&E for your sterling efforts!

You are legends for your blogs and this visit has been no different. Sharing your time on this magical island is great for visitors and the locals alike.

I hope anyone visiting does try to share their holiday too even if a few snippets!

We will take up the baton yet again in 4 weeks time and try to eat as much as we can!

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 May 2018, 06:31

Lisa B wrote:That'll be odd we'll be reading your stories whilst being there too!! :D

Me too Lisa, though I don't arrive on Symi until the 23rd :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 May 2018, 06:41

I love the ring - though thing I would struggle to pack after drinking all that ouzo and retsina - not forgetting the Mojito ;)
What a stunning sunrise for your last morning on Symi, I'm sad that your holiday - with all the fabulous photos and food descriptions - is over so quickly but at least you've got another wonderful Symi holiday to look forward to in September :D

Safe onward travels for today :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 24 May 2018, 08:27

We'll still be there :)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports