First time for August

Archived trip reports

First time for August

Postby Pollychops » 30 Aug 2017, 16:04

Well here we are with our first visit in August, we normally visit in June. Plans for walking have been scuppered however, I am more mobile than I first feared. Been told to rest, ice and do a couple of stretch exercises twice a day. I don't have the need for crutches anymore and using a hiking pole instead. Alan if you do see me walking with my pole come and say hello. Our journey went as clockwork with the first EasyJet out of Gatwick on time and landing 20 mins ahead, easy pass through customs and quickly onto the harbour to catch the 1pm crossing. Unfortunately I lost my sunglasses to the wind and they are now at the bottom of the sea :oops:
We were met by Frank and up in Taxiarchis by 2.15, we unpacked then had a rest, got in provisions and are sitting on our terrace enjoying the view over Pedi Bay trying to decide we're to dine this evening. It was hot when we arrived but we seem to have acclimatised very quickly and there is a nice warm breeze coming down through the valley as I write.
We will try to keep you updated on our time here over the next 10 days.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: First time for August

Postby Allan » 30 Aug 2017, 17:23

Thanks for the report Polychops. Good to hear that your travel arrangements went well and you got settled in so quickly.

Good news about your leg injury too and I'm sure you'll be easy to spot as you hobble about with your walking pole, squinting in the sunlight. :D
I will look out for you from Sunday morning when I arrive and say hello. If you are very unlucky you may even get to meet all (well, both) of the Chat Page administrators during your holiday ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 31 Aug 2017, 07:00

If I shut my eyes I can transform myself back to my end studio at Taxiarchis and enjoy the view with you - bliss :D Great to hear that you can get about more than first expected and I hope you enjoyed your first dinner on Symi :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 31 Aug 2017, 07:52

Off we went down the Kali with some care, having to take one step at a time it took forever and we were overtaken several times which made us laugh. We decided to plan our meals out and the idea was to call in to various restaraunts to book tables so the furthest away is Tholos which is our favourite so headed out there first to work our way back. After reaching Tholos after nearly an hour it was fully booked however, they made up an extra table for us and we dined there. We opened with saganaki and my favourite fava which is a simple dish but full of flavour, this was followed by melt in the mouth moussaka and chicken souvlaki with drinks on the house. We sat there for some some time taking in the view of the harbour and town glowing in the dark. Slow stroll back it was good to see everywhere being very busy we decided to book other evenings out for another day and stopped off at Eva for a coffee and a spot of people watching. We caught the bus not too late at 11 and noticed the bus has a tv monitor showing adverts of various establishments, we got off at the kiosk and hobbled down the hill to Taxiarchis. Sitting on our terrace this morning in glorious weather working out were to go today.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 31 Aug 2017, 21:11

Sounds wonderful Pollychops.

Thanks for sharing with us.
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 01 Sep 2017, 07:43

silverfox wrote:Sounds wonderful Pollychops.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Ditto. I'm drooling at the thought of all that lovely Greek food and the beautiful Symi views of course :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 01 Sep 2017, 07:52

Following breakfast on Thursday morning it ended with some panic, during packing I missed putting Kim's medication in the bag, she has to take this twice a day and can only go without for a few days before she has a flare up. We decided to try our luck and see if we could get it over the counter and after walking down to the town we managed to easily purchase some. Amazing assistance and we were surprised at the cost of €3.70 for a months supply so panic over and my blushes were saved. We then took a boat to St Nicks and had a wonderful day chilling out and the water was so warm. We decided as my leg was feeling better to walk back up the steps and along the path to Pedi then caught the bus up the hill. We decided to stay up top and had dinner in Zoe's. We started with gigantes, courgette balls and calamari. For mains we had lamb chops and stifado which was wonderful as usual. It was good to see all of the tables full in Zoe's and enjoyed our evening there. After dinner we took a slow walk back down to Taxiarchis and after a catch up on emails headed off for a good nights sleep. Like yesterday we are sitting on our terrace deciding were and what to do today......no rush really. Oh I nearly forgot, whilst on St Nicks a lonely canoeist paddled around the corner and came inland, had a beer then paddled off again. It took me back to my canoeing days a couple of years ago when I did it....happy days.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 01 Sep 2017, 07:55

Allan wrote:Thanks for the report Polychops. Good to hear that your travel arrangements went well and you got settled in so quickly.

Good news about your leg injury too and I'm sure you'll be easy to spot as you hobble about with your walking pole, squinting in the sunlight. :D
I will look out for you from Sunday morning when I arrive and say hello. If you are very unlucky you may even get to meet all (well, both) of the Chat Page administrators during your holiday ;)

Hi Allan, still hobbling but not as bad and the squinting is sorted, Kim had some old sunglasses to hand.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports