An August Adventure

Archived trip reports

An August Adventure

Postby Robert » 20 Aug 2017, 14:34

Our August Adventure
Inspired by D and E we thought we would try and pen our own adventures for a change. We don’t normally go to Symi in August, much preferring September – or Easter! Just not August, but here we are anyway.
How envious we were of D and E and their trip to Manchester, dinner in the hotel and relaxing start…..for us it was quite the reverse, far too much going on in the days before meant we were not packed until 9pm and anyway I was out singing and didn’t get home till then. Not helpful!!
We did manage to grab some sleep but were up at three for a cab and - may be the one benefit of living in Croydon – were at the airport in 25 minutes, through security and bag drop in 20 minutes and sitting in Pret having a coffee.
Flight on time – packed and not restful. Out through customs and wait for the bus to Rhodes - same driver as last year! We always like the bus ride into Rhodes; fun to see what’s been added – or closed. And then a walk to the Savoy Hotel – dump cases and the first Mythos of the holiday in Au Bon Bistrot, just round the corner. Sam had a really excellent house salad and I had my first club sandwich of the holiday – also excellent. Then it was back to the Savoy and a rest! I’m not sure we would stay there again – it’s not really us but it’s handy and a good price.
And so to the evening – of course we could have got the evening boat but we have done this before and find the late arrival when you are staying where we are (up 150 steps) just a bit much…and for us there is one other important factor – eating at Nireas restaurant in the old town and which we consider to be the best by far. For us, it is an essential part of our stay and as we are not returning via Rhodes it had to be done! We ate, taziki, the home made cheese pies (Sam dreams about these when back home!) grilled vegetables and a shrimp saganaki. All delicious all washed down with 75cl of house white – and then ……. The fig panacotta! That’s what I dream about!! And poached pears in red wine with ice cream. A couple of glasses of Samos wine rounded off an exceptional meal!
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: An August Adventure

Postby silverfox » 20 Aug 2017, 17:38

Great stuff Robert!

Any updates from Symi are welcome and we await your next update!

:)
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 21 Aug 2017, 07:29

Great start, these trip reports certainly cheer up a working Monday morning :) Looking forward to hearing more about your holiday on Symi :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pink » 21 Aug 2017, 13:38

Loved D & E adventures and look forward to a new one from Robert I am coming on my first visit on 20th Sept and can not wait x
Pink
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Eliza » 21 Aug 2017, 21:27

Not forgetting Symi Hat Trick by Silverfox. Thanks Silverfox
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 22 Aug 2017, 13:35

Great start Robert - it is a great pleasure reading how others get to and what they get up to on Symi.

As you know from our Blogs we live to eat rather than eating to live :D

So you have now whetted our appetite with the mention of the Nireas which will be a new restaurant for us.

We are heading out to Symi again in September and flight times dictate that we will be overnighting in Rhodes. Like last time we will be relieving Olympic of the need to find us overnight accommodation as we have already booked the Plaza Hotel. We will visit our usual Socratous Garden for our aperitifs and from there the iPhone shows the Nireas as just a few minutes walk - fig panacotta sounds heavenly.

Keep up the good work on the blog.
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Robert » 22 Aug 2017, 16:17

Thanks for you comments!
Days two, three, and four (Saturday, Sunday, Monday)
Saturday morning saw us arrive bright and early at the harbour to collect our tickets for the trip to Symi and our onward travels after. A pleasant crossing soon brought us to Panormitis and the smell of fresh bread from the wonderful bakers. We bought lunch of cheese pies and what I think must be the Greek equivalent of a cheese twist - anyway it was lovely! The church was packed as always but it does have a special magic and we always make a point of arriving this way.
1pm saw us in Symi harbour and greeted by Nicholas from Symi Visitor who drove us, our cases and 3 x 6 packs of water to our house high up above the square. A lovely place to stay but slightly inaccessible! Time for unpacking, a rest and then down the 150 steps to the square and our first visit to Pachinos and hence our first ouzo! Then to the ever reliable Trawler for a feast of stuffed peppers with feta, gigantes, vegetarian moussaka for Sam and the proper thing for me! A nice bottle of white wine and then pop into the supermarket for supplies and its back up the 150 steps…….
We spent Sunday sleeping in, resting and reading and generally chilling before it was time to venture down and have a walk down to the clock tower and a nose around the shops before Pachinos again and this time Spitiko where Jordana was her usual welcoming self. This time we shared grilled feta, courgette balls (delicious!) and then the veggie had a mushroom risotto whilst I had prawn sagagnaki – very different from Nireas. Feeling we had had an economical day so far we splashed out on a bottle of Hatzimichalis red which was full of body and just what we wanted. Baclava and a glass of Samos wine followed.
Monday was our first beach day – Ag Marina, busy but lovely to see the brothers and get all their news. A lot more children on the beach than we are used to and it’s quite noisy but still magical and of course there was lunch too…. We both had gazpatcho to start and this was especially delicious and different. Then spaghetti with pesto and linguini vongole a treat! A half litre of house white and a Greek coffee rounded things off before the taxi boat home – goodness, how busy they are at this time of year – and straight to Pachinos for ouzo! It’s interesting that unlike September when there is a mad rush off the boat to Pachinos or other bars it’s quite different in August – everyone seems to head home!! We decided to eat in after our beach day and – after the obligatory oregano crisps!! - enjoyed a homemade salad of lettuce, tomato, olives and feta along with some eggs ham (for me) and cheese all washed down with a bottle of Greek Pinot Noir from the very good wine shop next to the supermarket.
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 22 Aug 2017, 21:46

Hi Robert, sounds fantastic and its whet our appetite for our visit which starts next Wednesday. Cant wait till your next post.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports