A Jolly Jaunt in July

Archived trip reports

Re: A Jolly Jaunt in July

Postby Gemma1 » 15 Jul 2017, 08:56

As always I've really enjoyed reading your blog and don't blame you for swapping Falaraki for Rhodes Town. I can cope with starting the holiday with Falaraki, but I'm not sure I'd want to finish my Symi holiday there - especially in July!

I don't usually book my September holiday until I've returned from the previous year's, but after reading both yours and Silver Fox's excellent blogs, plus 2 friends moving out to Symi permanently, I couldn't wait any longer and have booked a 12 night stay at the Anastasia for next September. Olympic seem much more flexible next year and a 12 night stay from my local airport suits me very well and I'm hoping I will only have to spend the first night on Rhodes as the return flight doesn't leave Rhodes until 2340.

I hope you have a good flight back and look forward to reading your September blog :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 15 Jul 2017, 18:21

Such another great blog that makes you feel you are still on Symi.

Many thanks my friends!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 15 Jul 2017, 22:15

Fantastic blog yet again and well done for not being tempted to go down for dinner. I am sure you will make the most of it when you return in September. Cant wait to be able to visit twice a year. We hope you have had an enjoyable and safe journey home. Looking forward to your September blog. We may have a go at one ourselves when we return at the end of August.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 16 Jul 2017, 18:16

IMG_0054.JPG
King Fish in Zoe's

IMG_0055.JPG
Couldn't Agree More with the Olive Tree

IMG_0057.JPG
The Secret Garden Steps to Anastasia's
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 16 Jul 2017, 18:37

Saturday

Although we have lost nights on Symi the advantage is that we can take our time over the excellent buffet breakfast that the Plaza Rodos provides - anything from continental to Full English.

After breakfast we repack and checkout around 10am - official checkout is anytime up to noon but the hotel is always happy to store bags. We walk along Mandraki where there always seems to be a breeze. We pass all the offers of trips to here, there and everywhere before having a frappe in the ever-reliable Yacht Club before returning to The Plaza and having another in the air conditioned bar area.

Reception books us a taxi for midday and we are at the airport and get to the front of the check-in queue as the main transfer buses arrive. We secure a window seat for D so he won't get too bored :D Security is a breeze and as soon as E mentions her insulin pump they take her around the x-ray and undertake the proper procedure - Manchester Airport could learn from Rodos. Thankfully Gate 14’s waiting area has the air conditioning going full blast. E gets some olive oil as a gift for our cattery and some Greek honey biscuits for her sweet toothed work colleagues.

We are bussed the 100 meters to the ASL flight and a full plane leaves on time. There are a couple of bar services and the very pleasant French crew are worthy of mention. We fly into Grey Britain and are on the tarmac at Manchester at 17:25 with the luggage starting to flow at 18:00 ! For a change we are not going to undertake the 3 hour journey home and have a booked another night at the Crowne Plaza so the courtesy bus takes us over and we have the luxury of a shower and change of clothes before dinner in Sampan’s again. A shared dinner of satay chicken, tempura prawns (there are always prawns), steamed prawn dumplings followed by a Thai chicken curry and prawns with mange tout with steamed rice and stir fried pak choi proves to be a light and fragrant meal.

Sunday & Reflections

After a great nights sleep and the buffet breakfast that is good but not even in the same league as The Plaza on Rhodes we head home on roads with very light traffic. Our boy Greyam is picked up from the cattery, the cases unpacked and we are in time to settle down and watch the majestic Rodger Federer make Wimbledon history.

Of course it was worth the long journey for a last minute decision that gave us 5 nights on Symi. Will we go in July again ? Unlikely. We are used to and prefer the temperatures of May and late September and that will continue to be our plans for the future. We only had one day in the 40’s whilst reading Silverfox’s Blog they had to endure days of this which we would not have welcomed.

It was quite sad to see so many businesses closed on the island but there is only so much wealth to go round and those who can survive will surely benefit. The island needs more visitors who stay over rather than just the day trippers. We were encouraged speaking to several newcomers and day visitors about their desire to return. It would certainly help if there was an evening ferry on Wednesday’s and Saturday’s but stopping on Rhodes on one’s own terms is not that bad a way to spend an evening.

Staying up and only having 5 nights curtailed the variety of our dining out but certainly not the quality as Giorgios and Zoe’s still produce some of the best food we taste on Symi and elsewhere. D is already hatching a scheme for September where he wants to dine in a different Symi restaurant every night but like many of his Symi Plans - we will see.

So that ends our short blog but for those who enjoy - and thanks to all those who read and comment it is really appreciated - there is only 8 weeks to go before we do it all again.

Yasou

IMG_0058.JPG
Just Says Symi To Us

IMG_0061.JPG
Socratous Garden

IMG_0060.JPG
A Real Find on Rodos

IMG_0059.JPG
From Inside Sissitio
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Robert » 17 Jul 2017, 10:58

Such a wonderful blog - we are both sorry that we shall have been and gone by the time you return. But that you for your great descriptions and for your wonderful enthusiasm!
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Previous

Return to Trip Reports