SOS The Return

Archived trip reports

Re: SOS The Return

Postby silverfox » 02 Jul 2016, 07:37

Early morning Saturday update....well 9.32am.

It is Liz's birthday and our 34th wedding anniversary and the plan is to wander though Chorio and down the old steps, up over the hill to Nimborio for a light lunch before heading back along the coast road.

Afternoon refreshment at the Rainbow followed by a meal out at the Windmill.

Let's see how that goes then.....

:)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHWU_29hpio ... lade&hl=en
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 02 Jul 2016, 09:28

What a great read on a wet and miserable Saturday morning in Yorkshire - is it really July and almost the middle of summer :?

So pleased you managed to do your 'long walk', it must be nice to see Panormitis in the peace and quiet before the tourists descend. Maybe I'll give it a try one day...

Happy birthday to Liz, hope she has a great day - though how could she not in such a wonderful place :D - and happy anniversary to both of you.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2016, 07:28

Saturday.....

Well all went nearly to plan.

Liz opened a few birthday cards she'd brought from home before we set off.

We did wander though Chorio with a surprise round every corner whether it's a goat, cat chickens or the odd dog and we finally got to the old steps with great views down. It can be a difficult walk down as well as up having to watch your step all the time. As we reached the bottom we had a brief conversation in Greek with an old man heading up, although I don't speak many words I think he was saying that himself and I should be slimmer walking paths such as this. He was right!

We climbed the hill out towards the cemetery and onto the path in very high temperatures, much warmer than last year, but we were prepared today with a bottle of water left in the freezer compartment overnight helping us to hydrate as we walked.

Over the hill Nimborio comes into sight and as you descend the smell of the herbs is one of the highlights of the walk.

We passed the little beach which was very busy with locals cooling off in the water or hiding under the trees by the shack and then sat at the Taverna with a cool drink. We had planned to have lunch there but Liz fancied returning to the Dolphin to share a Pizza which she enjoyed so much on our last visit.

We walked back along to coast road jumping out of the way of the Noddy train with singing guests. We were quite disappointed to find the Dolphin closed so we ended up in the Kantirimi Cafe Bar for a sandwich.

Liz went for the bus and I did my usual walk up the road after getting my water from the kiosk next to the bus station.

Rainbow bar for our afternoon refreshment where Yianni is pouring our beer as we turn the corner and up the last few steps.

A quick change back at the Savesti before back down to the Windmill for our evening meal. It seems we went for exactly the same as last year with a starter of courgette fritters, Liz opting for the Pork with apple and Metaxa and L had the Chicken with saffron and orange, sumac and coriander both accompanied with rice and kritheraki and a litre of the house white. The desserts are to die for with raspberry puree, sponge and cream and a chocolate torte with whisky cream.

We chatted a while with a couple of English ladies about the Greek Islands, their favourite is Halki, before heading to the Rainbow for an Ouzo nightcap (number one).

A slow walk back to our room before nightcap 2 and 3 watching the stars yet again.

Quite a pleasant day!

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2016, 07:44

Gemma1 wrote:What a great read on a wet and miserable Saturday morning in Yorkshire - is it really July and almost the middle of summer :?

So pleased you managed to do your 'long walk', it must be nice to see Panormitis in the peace and quiet before the tourists descend. Maybe I'll give it a try one day...

Happy birthday to Liz, hope she has a great day - though how could she not in such a wonderful place :D - and happy anniversary to both of you.

Many thanks for the kind message Gemma.

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Jul 2016, 19:59

Good to read that the Windmills is open - we were too early in May.
Fingers crossed it will still be open when we return in the last week of September - such a different menu.
Your description of the heat and then Yiannis pouring those cold beers is helping us count down the days.
Glad the Birthday / Anniversary went well - good timing to celebrate on Symi.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Keep up the good work and the attendance record ;)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Val » 03 Jul 2016, 20:41

So enjoying all these updates from Symi...they seem to be getting better and better. Are you sure you're not working for the Symi Tourist Bureau?

What a great place to celebrate your anniversary and that meal sounded divine. Never been to the Windmills but certainly hope to have a meal there in September. Sadly we will be leaving just the day before D and E arrive but we are hoping that we can meet up with Gemma after being neighbours in Halki a few years back.

Your daily updates are a real treat during this long wet Summer Silverfox. Much appreciated. Looking forward to reading the next episode already.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 07 Jul 2016, 18:47

4 days to update.....I'll do my best to post by the end of the weekend!

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 07 Jul 2016, 21:01

Sunday..

Symi Tourist Board reporting with the latest update... ;)

After our very nice day yesterday, with our lovely meal at the Windmill, it was a late start....so many of those this year!

We set off for a walk down the road way and as passing the kiosk Liz resisted getting on the bus just arriving (the bus is still 1.5 Euro to go anywhere and will even take us right up to the path near the Savesti Studios where we have stayed for the last 2 years) and as we carried on down the hill took in all the views on offer.

After a wander around the harbour It was nearly time for a late breakfast or lunch so we checked out the Dolphin which was still closed (found out later it was open on Saturday and Sunday night, just not in the day) so we tried the Yacht Bar to have some lunch....we fancied the bacon and eggs but decided on a "Full English" as it included orange juice, and coffee or tea. As the temperatures were rising we had a lemon granita to finish and very nice it was too!

I did the walk road and Liz did the bus and we went back to the apartments for a shower and change of clothes. We have been washing clothes which dry so quickly in this heat and once again vow to travel much lighter in the future.

I set off to Yiannis Rainbow Bar on my own as Liz wanted more time to get ready in this heat, she did try a little power nap before her shower. All the talk down at the Rainbow was about us being late! Talk about reputations! :)

After our usual afternoon "Symi family" (Jo's words I think) get together we headed down the Kali Strata with Neil and Toby who we had invited out for a meal. We thought we should repay them in some way for the Symidream blog that Toby keeps up throughout the year giving so much pleasure throughout the year and for Neil just being Neil. (And of course all those great photos) :D

We had booked To Spitiko and Jordana welcomed us in usual fashion, as we had starters of stuffed peppers with feta, taramasalata and a Greek salad, I went for the Kleftiko, mmmm, Liz went for Shrimp Saganaki, Toby one of the biggest pork chops ever seen and Neil went for some Meatball thingys. All washed down with plenty of red and white wine!

Watermelon was on the house.

I'm sure Jordana had looked after us as the bill was so little for our feast!

We had a drink in the Mediterraneo bar before getting a taxi back up top and back to the Rainbow for too many Ouzo nightcaps.

We walked, or was that staggered up back up to the apartments where I had a few red wines before the evening ended.

A great day in great company.

So many plans for tomorrow!

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 07 Jul 2016, 21:35

Monday...

We the great plan was to walk to St Nicks beach and have lunch, we never planned the sunbeds with Liz's back problems.

With last nights total enjoyment it was yet again a sleepy night and a late morning before we got out of bed. This only happens on holiday as we are both usually up at home very early with 6.30am probably being late!

Liz told me to get off for a walk so off I went on a bit of a power walk down the road to Pedi and up the improved path to St Nicks...the guys have done so much work on improving this path and the steps down to the beach...unfortunately we never made it to the Taverna to repay all the hard work....perhaps on the next visit where the temperatures may be a little easier.

I had agreed to meet Liz down in Yialos so after an inspection of the steps it was a power walk back up the Pedi road following the steep road up to the windmills and down the road with all those great views. I did get water at the shop by the boats in Pedi to take on up the hill.

Liz finally found the Dolphin open and had the Pizza fix with beers before she went for the bus back up the hill whilst I got more water from the kiosk and headed up that road.

Our usual afternoon "Symi family" chat....so many subjects half of which should never be mentioned in public....all good fun with so much laughter! :)

Liz took time out to go down the steps to the herb shop below the Olive Tree to buy a supply of herbs to take home...Oregano, Basil, Thyme and Symi sea salt and the owner threw in some Sage free of charge. The herbs have such a strong aroma on Symi and I suppose I could have collected my own on my walks but it is important to support the locals in these difficult times. Well we think so.

We were Greek fooded out tonight so on the way back up we bought crackers, feta, ham and tomatoes and had a quiet night on our balcony with red wine and the stars.

The peace up here is wonderful.

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Jul 2016, 07:32

More great updates, though I can't get over how many times you walk up and down that road in one day :shock: I've never walked down to Yialos on the road, only down the steps and it would be interesting to see how many miles you've walked on this holiday. You certainly deserve a few lie-ins after all that walking - you're on holiday after all ;)

I'm looking forward to trying the new improved path to St Nick's when I'm there in September :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 08 Jul 2016, 16:15

Tuesday....

Holidays always seem to go so quickly and this is our last full day on Symi and soon back to reality.

I wandered the lanes again to the top corner of Chorio looking for photo opportunities before heading back and down to the Kali Strata and down the school steps into Yialos. Liz stayed behind and did the majority of the packing before catching the bus down to meet for some light lunch as were planning on another meal out up top for our last night.

We called in at the Nikolas, across from the International and went to peruse all the cakes before choosing. Liz went for a slab of a ginger cake with cream and I had a banana tasting creamy sponge thingy. Huge portions and very reasonably priced washed down with cool orange Fanta.

It was so hot again today so we ended up in Eva's coffee bar for a frappe stop before going on our last walk around the busy harbour. There have been many more boats around in the last few days hopefully with people spending their money to help keep Symi going.

Liz stopped for a sit down on the benches near the clock tower as I carried on to the boatyard to take a little more video and photos. For anyone thinking of Symi I don't think you could tire of all the views you get just wandering around this place!

I did my last walk up the road way as Liz caught the bus back and into Yiannis Rainbow bar where we spent a couple of hours with the "Symi Family" chatting away with Jo, Toby, Neil, Terri, Colette and Penny. We said our goodbyes in case we did not see anyone later and headed back to the apartments for a quick shower and change of clothes.

As we left the apartments for our evening meal we said our goodbyes to Manilos and Nickos. Hugs all round as we thanked them for looking after us so well and their friendship, they are such a great family and deserve to be full all season. Back down the lanes where we had decided on Georgios for our last meal.

We ordered and as we waited Sevasti came out to chat with us. She is such a lovely lady, so kind, friendly and hard working.

We decided on a few dishes to share so went for fried potatoes, Shrimp and cheese Bourataki and Courgette Balls and Chicken in oregano and lemon. And of course a litre of white wine. As we asked for the bill an extra half litre of white appeared on the house that I struggled through not to cause offence! :)

As we are leaving the apartments at 6am tomorrow we called Sevasti from the kitchen with hugs all round as we said our farewells.

Toby and Neil had followed us into Georgios with a friend and as we left mentioned that we'd be at Yiannis for a nightcap before turning in and the duly joined us after their meal where the Ouzos flowed.

What was supposed to be one turned into at least four strong Ouzos and after our final, final goodbuys and thanking Yiannis for looking after us (and him thanking us for handing him such a portion of our holiday money) we made our way back for our "early night" Haha!

The biggest problem now is will we make the ferry?

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Val » 08 Jul 2016, 20:41

Great read Steve. Hope you and Liz are safe and sound back home now. Really enjoyed your updates and appreciate all your
efforts. What a great place Symi is and lovely to read about your time there. Thank you.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 09 Jul 2016, 08:09

I've really enjoyed reading your reports Steve, thanks for sharing your holiday with us - I've still got 10 weeks to wait ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 09 Jul 2016, 09:41

We echo Val & Gemma's comments - love reading your exploits.

But come on Silverfox - it's like a Saturday morning in the cinema (showing age here :shock: ) you have left us on the edge of our seats.

Did you make the ferry or are you still in Yiannis :D ?
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 09 Jul 2016, 20:39

Thanks for all the kind messages.

We did make it as the pictures here confirm!

http://www.symidream.com/

A top tip on Symi for anyone who can spot us the back of the boat picture!

I will try to sort the Wednesday post tomorrow and links to some more pictures.

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 10 Jul 2016, 12:35

Wednesday....

We as you can see by the pictures on Symi Dream we did actually get up early, even after little sleep, and finished our packing and a quick shower.

Liz left her hat on the the coat peg in the apartments as it was starting to look a little tatty with the words "wherever I lay my hat that's my home" :)

After checking we had our stuff we went down to the road 10 minutes eary and the minibus was already waiting for us with Colette onboard as she had been picked up first.

One last trip down to Pedi to collect others with a great sunrise view before heading down to the ferry where Nicollette was waiting with the tickets.

We took in all the views as we left Symi...always a sad part to holidays!

We had a smooth crossing to Rhodes where the coach was waiting for us and we were dropped off near the International Hotel where the bags are looked after until the coach pick up at 12.10 in our case.

We wandered back to the Old Town and had a look round but we are not that impressed as it's so busy after the peace on Symi.

We had a breakfast back in the Tavera closest to the pick up point. The coach was 25 minutes late due to heavy traffic but it wasn't long before we at the airport in the queues to check in. There was chaos at the gate as we were switched at the last minute and no one could understand the announcements! :)

A good flight back with space as we had no one sat next to us so we spread out. Our son was waiting for us and we battled the traffic back to Sheffield arriving just after 8pm to watch the Wales match.

The temperature was a muggy 19 c, probably half of what we'd been used to for the last fortnight.

We had a great relaxing holiday again on Symi!

Will we be back next year? Watch this space!

Ps... I will try to get some more pics up as soon as I can.

Silverfox
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 11 Jul 2016, 17:59

Gemma1 wrote:More great updates, though I can't get over how many times you walk up and down that road in one day :shock: I've never walked down to Yialos on the road, only down the steps and it would be interesting to see how many miles you've walked on this holiday. You certainly deserve a few lie-ins after all that walking - you're on holiday after all ;)

I'm looking forward to trying the new improved path to St Nick's when I'm there in September :D

The total miles according to Fitbit was 115 miles!

Not as many as I wanted to do.

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Previous

Return to Trip Reports