SOS The Return

Archived trip reports

Re: SOS The Return

Postby silverfox » 02 Jul 2016, 07:37

Early morning Saturday update....well 9.32am.

It is Liz's birthday and our 34th wedding anniversary and the plan is to wander though Chorio and down the old steps, up over the hill to Nimborio for a light lunch before heading back along the coast road.

Afternoon refreshment at the Rainbow followed by a meal out at the Windmill.

Let's see how that goes then.....

:)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHWU_29hpio ... lade&hl=en
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 02 Jul 2016, 09:28

What a great read on a wet and miserable Saturday morning in Yorkshire - is it really July and almost the middle of summer :?

So pleased you managed to do your 'long walk', it must be nice to see Panormitis in the peace and quiet before the tourists descend. Maybe I'll give it a try one day...

Happy birthday to Liz, hope she has a great day - though how could she not in such a wonderful place :D - and happy anniversary to both of you.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2016, 07:28

Saturday.....

Well all went nearly to plan.

Liz opened a few birthday cards she'd brought from home before we set off.

We did wander though Chorio with a surprise round every corner whether it's a goat, cat chickens or the odd dog and we finally got to the old steps with great views down. It can be a difficult walk down as well as up having to watch your step all the time. As we reached the bottom we had a brief conversation in Greek with an old man heading up, although I don't speak many words I think he was saying that himself and I should be slimmer walking paths such as this. He was right!

We climbed the hill out towards the cemetery and onto the path in very high temperatures, much warmer than last year, but we were prepared today with a bottle of water left in the freezer compartment overnight helping us to hydrate as we walked.

Over the hill Nimborio comes into sight and as you descend the smell of the herbs is one of the highlights of the walk.

We passed the little beach which was very busy with locals cooling off in the water or hiding under the trees by the shack and then sat at the Taverna with a cool drink. We had planned to have lunch there but Liz fancied returning to the Dolphin to share a Pizza which she enjoyed so much on our last visit.

We walked back along to coast road jumping out of the way of the Noddy train with singing guests. We were quite disappointed to find the Dolphin closed so we ended up in the Kantirimi Cafe Bar for a sandwich.

Liz went for the bus and I did my usual walk up the road after getting my water from the kiosk next to the bus station.

Rainbow bar for our afternoon refreshment where Yianni is pouring our beer as we turn the corner and up the last few steps.

A quick change back at the Savesti before back down to the Windmill for our evening meal. It seems we went for exactly the same as last year with a starter of courgette fritters, Liz opting for the Pork with apple and Metaxa and L had the Chicken with saffron and orange, sumac and coriander both accompanied with rice and kritheraki and a litre of the house white. The desserts are to die for with raspberry puree, sponge and cream and a chocolate torte with whisky cream.

We chatted a while with a couple of English ladies about the Greek Islands, their favourite is Halki, before heading to the Rainbow for an Ouzo nightcap (number one).

A slow walk back to our room before nightcap 2 and 3 watching the stars yet again.

Quite a pleasant day!

silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2016, 07:44

Gemma1 wrote:What a great read on a wet and miserable Saturday morning in Yorkshire - is it really July and almost the middle of summer :?

So pleased you managed to do your 'long walk', it must be nice to see Panormitis in the peace and quiet before the tourists descend. Maybe I'll give it a try one day...

Happy birthday to Liz, hope she has a great day - though how could she not in such a wonderful place :D - and happy anniversary to both of you.

Many thanks for the kind message Gemma.

silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Jul 2016, 19:59

Good to read that the Windmills is open - we were too early in May.
Fingers crossed it will still be open when we return in the last week of September - such a different menu.
Your description of the heat and then Yiannis pouring those cold beers is helping us count down the days.
Glad the Birthday / Anniversary went well - good timing to celebrate on Symi.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Keep up the good work and the attendance record ;)
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Val » 03 Jul 2016, 20:41

So enjoying all these updates from Symi...they seem to be getting better and better. Are you sure you're not working for the Symi Tourist Bureau?

What a great place to celebrate your anniversary and that meal sounded divine. Never been to the Windmills but certainly hope to have a meal there in September. Sadly we will be leaving just the day before D and E arrive but we are hoping that we can meet up with Gemma after being neighbours in Halki a few years back.

Your daily updates are a real treat during this long wet Summer Silverfox. Much appreciated. Looking forward to reading the next episode already.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 07 Jul 2016, 18:47

4 days to update.....I'll do my best to post by the end of the weekend!

silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 07 Jul 2016, 21:01

Sunday..

Symi Tourist Board reporting with the latest update... ;)

After our very nice day yesterday, with our lovely meal at the Windmill, it was a late start....so many of those this year!

We set off for a walk down the road way and as passing the kiosk Liz resisted getting on the bus just arriving (the bus is still 1.5 Euro to go anywhere and will even take us right up to the path near the Savesti Studios where we have stayed for the last 2 years) and as we carried on down the hill took in all the views on offer.

After a wander around the harbour It was nearly time for a late breakfast or lunch so we checked out the Dolphin which was still closed (found out later it was open on Saturday and Sunday night, just not in the day) so we tried the Yacht Bar to have some lunch....we fancied the bacon and eggs but decided on a "Full English" as it included orange juice, and coffee or tea. As the temperatures were rising we had a lemon granita to finish and very nice it was too!

I did the walk road and Liz did the bus and we went back to the apartments for a shower and change of clothes. We have been washing clothes which dry so quickly in this heat and once again vow to travel much lighter in the future.

I set off to Yiannis Rainbow Bar on my own as Liz wanted more time to get ready in this heat, she did try a little power nap before her shower. All the talk down at the Rainbow was about us being late! Talk about reputations! :)

After our usual afternoon "Symi family" (Jo's words I think) get together we headed down the Kali Strata with Neil and Toby who we had invited out for a meal. We thought we should repay them in some way for the Symidream blog that Toby keeps up throughout the year giving so much pleasure throughout the year and for Neil just being Neil. (And of course all those great photos) :D

We had booked To Spitiko and Jordana welcomed us in usual fashion, as we had starters of stuffed peppers with feta, taramasalata and a Greek salad, I went for the Kleftiko, mmmm, Liz went for Shrimp Saganaki, Toby one of the biggest pork chops ever seen and Neil went for some Meatball thingys. All washed down with plenty of red and white wine!

Watermelon was on the house.

I'm sure Jordana had looked after us as the bill was so little for our feast!

We had a drink in the Mediterraneo bar before getting a taxi back up top and back to the Rainbow for too many Ouzo nightcaps.

We walked, or was that staggered up back up to the apartments where I had a few red wines before the evening ended.

A great day in great company.

So many plans for tomorrow!

:D
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports