SOS The Return

Archived trip reports

SOS The Return

Postby silverfox » 15 Jun 2016, 19:41

Silverfox on Symi The Return

Preamble

Having been soaked to the skin walking home with heavy showers and thunder continuing I thought i'd start the blog early as I did last year.

As many my remember it was our first time on Symi last year and we have never returned to an overseas destination in all our years. (57 now). We are going back the same weeks and staying up top at the Sevasti Studios (highly recommended) and we have even asked for the same room...fingers crossed.

It will be very interesting to see if we enjoy the visit as much as last year but we did fall in love with the place, the locals and the food of course.

We are hoping to get more walking in and stay up later at nights too!

My list subject to change:

Walking in the hills with at least one walk all the way to Panormitis. Any advice welcome and i'm presuming I will be able to catch the bus back. I say I because Liz may not be up to it with her back! :) Any other great suggestions of interesting walks welcome as i can't seem to locate the Lance book!

How long to Toli anyone?

Beer up top....only one place I can think i'll be! :D

May do a boat trip but we are not so keen on the boats to be honest.

So many more eating places to try that we are tempted by the great D & E blogs! Elpida's is one on the list!

More photo's and perhaps a video this year if I can be bothered to carry the kit around. Blogs and photo's etc are fine but you need to be careful you don't live your holiday through a lens or keyboard.

Anyway as our road turns into a river...I live on a hill...my thoughts are looking forward to our return.

A week today we should be sat in Georgio and Maria's!

:)
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: SOS The Return

Postby JeanW » 15 Jun 2016, 23:51

Hi Silverfox - The Olympic rep will be able to advise you on good walks also ways of getting to Toli. Another good taverna which was our favourite this year, which hasn't been mentioned is To Spitiko, it is a small family run taverna in Yialos just past the bus stop but before you get to the taxi rank. Food is first class and very reasonably priced, you are right on the harbour front another good sign is that the locals eat there. Enjoy your holiday.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Val » 16 Jun 2016, 15:24

Looking forward to reading your reports Silverfox. The bus trip with Symi Tours to Panormitis and stopping for lunch at Maratounda is a lovely way to spend a day. Really laid back tour with lovely stops for photos along the way. Have a great time.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 16 Jun 2016, 19:02

Jeanw - To Spitiko was one of our favourites last year and no doubt we will frequent a good few times!

Val - I'm hoping to walk all the way there....just the bus back! Or can you get a boat back?
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Andy W » 16 Jun 2016, 20:48

Can you get a boat back? If you arrange your walk on a day when either the Poseidon or Diagoras is calling at Panormitis, and you arrange things with the respective captain the night before, you get a visit to Sesklia thrown in, lunch, and swimming stops....
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 16 Jun 2016, 21:22

Thanks Andy....sounds like an option worth looking at!

:)
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 17 Jun 2016, 07:49

Great to see your blog starting and look forward to next week :D
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 17 Jun 2016, 08:52

Thanks for starting your blog Silverfox, I look forward to reading your exploits over the next couple of weeks.

The Lance Chilton book has been out of print for some time but my copy won't be much use to me for the next three months so you are welcome to borrow it. I'll leave it for you with your friendly afternoon barman. ;)

If you want a suggestion for a nice walk try the donkey path out of the village to Ag. Paraskevi and on to Ag Fanourios high above the harbour. Then you can follow the 'waterpipe walk' down to the back of the harbour making it an almost circular walk with plenty of nice views.

For recommendations of more strenuous walks you could chat to a couple of regular long-term visitors who are expert walkers and always happy to explain the various routes. Again, just ask your friendly afternoon barman to introduce you.

Symi Tours are running buses to Tolis and to Panormitis most days this year and you should be able to combine one of those trips with a walk if you want. Or if you just want a day out can recommend the Panormitis/Marathunda trip that Val mentioned.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Trip Reports