Silverfox on Symi

Archived trip reports

Re: Silverfox on Symi

Postby silverfox » 11 Jul 2015, 13:55

Right let's try to finish the blog...

Sunday morning and we are still sleeping in far too much. At home we usually are up and around from 5am onwards but here we are sleeping very well.

We had a wander up to the castle and churches at the top of the hill after getting lost on the way as usual with a few dead ends encountered. It was very quiet with hardly anyone around. Chorio is so peaceful, so if anyone wants a quiet holiday and a relaxing time I would recommend staying up top to anyone. I took loads of photos for the collection before we headed back down to the square and down into Gialos for Liz to do a little shopping for little gifts to take back for friends and family.

It was getting very warm so it wasn't long before we were in Eva's coffee bar for a beer for me and a coffee for Liz which she commented on how excellent it was.

Lunch was at Oliva where I had the Giros and Liz had the Pork Souvlaki with more beer!

Liz was tired so off she went for the bus while I was enjoying the walk up the road with all the great views you get whilst getting much needed exercise, meeting up at the windmills. Not sure if i've mentioned but the bus costs 1.50 euro for any trip taken and you can pay the driver as you get on or off.

Yiannis has stopped asking what we want for drinks....he just brings them out now! I think I can say i'm a regular! :)

Liz was feeling a bit tired and decided to go back up early and have a rest ready for a meal out later.

Conversation with the usual suspects at the Rainbow often includes food and we still have lots of tavernas to try with days running out so fast.

After the last of the sun on the balcony we quickly got ready and went back to Georgio & Maria and had Shrimp Pasties, Mushrooms in garlic and wine, Meatballs and shared a Moussaka all washed down with white wine.

The timing was great as after we had finished it was off down the Kali Strata a little way for a free concert by Alexandra Koniak who was very good. We managed sitting on the steps for about one hour before we got so numb we had to leave. It was a great experience though to see a free concert in such a great setting!

symi2.jpg

P1020150.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 11 Jul 2015, 15:26

Monday and after another lie in (who knows how we will get up for work later on this weeK :D ) I went for a wander up past the old Windmills and up to the top of the hill to take yet more pictures. The weather is now on the rise so people be warned. Liz stayed at the apartments for a little relaxation and reading. I needed a cool drink when I got back! Not beer at this time in the morning too.

We decided on a lazy lunch at the Olive Tree where we finally tried a mixed vegetable quiche, ham & cheese sandwich, egg mayonnaise sandwich and some lovely coleslaw and to wash it down some of the homemade lemonade which we can highly recommend.

Liz wanted to take some of the herbs back home so we wandered down to the herb shop just below the Olive Tree to stock up on various little packets. The shop smell great as you get close. Another afternoon was spent down in Gialos wandering around watching the boats coming in and going out before stopping off for a cool drink in Eva's.

It does seem a little quieter this week and with a lot less migrants to be seen in or around the Police Station next to the tower. Don't let this put you off coming as they cause no problems and are very well behaved.

We had a strange conversation with an English lady who runs one of the shops as Liz was looking at a scarf with cats on. The lady insisted there was not many cats on Symi due to the welfare program which neuters many each year - she obviously does not go up to the village much as we have seen so many cats...in bins, in skips, under cars, on top of trucks, on balconies even one on a moped!

We had our usual relaxation at the Rainbow and I can't now see me losing the 100% record.

After our usual rest on the balcony we headed down to the Windmill as we had heard so many good things about the food. We were welcomed into the place by at least 3 cats! :D We went for broke tonight as we ordered more than any other meal we'd had.

We started with the Courgette Fritters, on Neils recommendation, and were not disappointed as they were superb as we were entertained by one of the cats who was throwing a small lizard into the air and biting the poor little thing. I did save him from death but I'm not sure if he would survive as he looked injured.

My main course was the chicken with saffron and orange, lightly flavoured with sumac and coriander with rice, while Liz had the pork with apple and Metaxa with krytheraki.

We went for dessert too with a chocolate torte with whiskey cream and a lemon cheesecake with berries all washed down with a litre of the house white.

This was our most expensive meal out at 58 Euro but I have to say the food is very very good!

symi cat 1.jpg

cats.jpg

wind.jpg
The Windmill
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 11 Jul 2015, 16:43

Tuesday and our last full day on Symi as we have to take the early ferry on Wednesday.

After another lazy start as we had both had indigestion throughout the night....nothing to do with the wonderful food at the Windmill, probably down to us being greedy yesterday!

We did manage the free donuts Savesti delivered to our door at breakfast time though!

We had a slow walk down, the road way, to the port to have a slow wander round taking in all the sights Symi as to offer. It really is a delight to just wander round looking in all directions. It is getting hotter by the day so it was soon time the call in Eva's for a coffee and a Mythos shandy.....yes I had a shandy!

Because of the indigestion we had decided to just have our main meal for our last day down in the harbour. Both us knew we had a long day to get home on Wednesday so were trying to be sensible!

We had our last meal at To Spitiko where we had the table at the front and we were well looked after by the wonderful Jordana. We started with the courgette fritters which were very good but not quite as good as the ones we had at the Windmill. Liz had the sea bream and I went for the lamb chops washed down with cold beer! Another great meal. If you are going to Symi To Spitiko really is a great place for food and to watch boats coming and going and you will be well looked after!

We had our last wander round before Liz went for the bus as I walked up that road again taking in all the views for the last time. :(

Our last session at the Rainbow with Yainnis, Neil, Toby and the lovely Jo. We really have enjoyed our chill out session with them all every afternoon and they are great company. Discussions were had on whether we would return - not something we really do as there are so many Greek islands to explore but there is something about Symi that really does capture your heart.

We said our goodbyes to all and Tobys' comment as we left was "see you in September" :D

A quiet night packing and finishing anything we could manage in the fridge and the rest of the Ouzo and Metaxa!

IMG_5205.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

bream.jpg
Sea Bream teeth!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 11 Jul 2015, 17:09

Wednesday was an early start for the trip home. We were up just after 4am to make sure we were ready.

A quick shower and check and it was soon time to be down at the pick up point about 100 yards from the Sevasti Aprtments.

Even before the sunrise we were picked up at 5.30am before picking up at both Taxiarchis and Pedi Beach before making our way to the harbour.

There was more than I thought would be there at the ferry and we didn't have to wait long until Katja was there with our tickets.

We sat out on the ferry to watch the the coastline of Turkey as we crossed over to Rhodes.

In Rhodes the coach took us to the International which is a ten minute walk back to the old town. We left our cases and wandered off to explore for a couple of hours....the old town was just opening up with all the expected type of shops and English breakfast joints etc... we were not really impressed....take us back to Symi! :)

We had to be back for the coach at 11am so we were there a little early collected our cases and went to sit in the sun/shade at the pick up point.

A slight delay as the coach driver refused to move until Katja came and sent us all off....she was due to go to the airport on the next coach.

We arrived at the airport to longish queues which took a while to get checked in but at least we didn't have to wait long after we got through to departures.

Flight was slightly late but landed back in Manchester on time and we got through passport control and out of the airport within 30 mins so all good.

Traffic was bad on the way back though so got home about 6:50pm......English time...A long day!

I've enjoyed doing this blog and will try to draw a conclusion post about how we feel about Symi with some more pictures!

Please go if you are dithering it's a wonderful island!

:)

Steve and Liz
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 12 Jul 2015, 08:41

Brilliant read, I've thoroughly enjoyed it - apart from the bit about coming home and the queues at the airport ;) I'm never keen on coming back from Symi :'(
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Val » 12 Jul 2015, 11:35

Thanks for sharing your hols with us. It's been a joy ...and much appreciated.

Sounds like you too may find that return trip too tempting to resist.

We'll always remember Silverfox. xx
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby petrostoo » 14 Jul 2015, 13:37

My wife Pam and I are back on Symi in September for the umpteenth time.
We missed last year, so thanks for whetting the appetite Silverfox.
petrostoo
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Previous

Return to Trip Reports