Silverfox on Symi

Archived trip reports

Re: Silverfox on Symi

Postby silverfox » 29 Jun 2015, 16:51

Might be quite a short blog today as we plan to do very little as of course we are on holiday. A little on the hazy side but does feel quite humid.

No breakfast this morning as we are eating far too much....did I mention the complimentary cake at Zoes' ?

We were planning on a long walk but we thought better of that idea....perhaps tomorrow if I can have a little less ouzo! So that is out plan tomorrow....a slow walk to Nimborio, perhaps time on the beach and lunch....but it could all change.

Back to this morning, as we left our apartments we were asked if we'd like to change rooms to one on the front with a better balcony view of both Pedi Bay and the Windmills and we were shown the room and we initially said yes. Our balcony looks up at the hills across too loads of churches and we have a view of the windmills and the sea beyond! We said we would sort moving when we got back from our travels.

On our walk down the Kali Strata I'd realised that the better view did not come with the afternoon and evening sun so we then decided to stay in our original room, just hoping we don't upset our very kind hosts!

I slow wander around until we were fancying a drink so found the bakery across from the International Taverna on the back lanes where we had a wonderful custard pie, liz had a frappe and I went for a vanilla milk shake. See I sometimes drink non alcoholic drinks! :) Total cost of 12.50 Euro.

What I did notice today though with the news was the loud discussions taking place by the locals with very animated waving of arms and raised voices! It would be a shame that all the scaremongering that's going off puts people off coming to this wonderful island.

After a wander around to Nos to work off the custards and then back to the port for an early lunch. This was after i'd ventured up the hill behind Manos Taverna to have a look....my word those steps are steeper than the Kali Strata! We decided to go "english" because if we had gone to one of the others we would have ordered 4/5 mezes again and we do need to keep it real. The thought was it may be a little lighter! So we had Luch at Oliva, I went for a simple burger and Liz had the Club Sandwich. We were wrong the portions were huge! Nice, basic cooking and a very clean place with wifi and Liz reports ...."the best toilets so far"

Why women compare toilets is beyond me but there you go!

After another small wander we went up the windy path just where the Symi berths and up the last bit of the Kali to get our deserved beer at the Rainbow....we only stayed for one.

Off back past the small supermarket getting a few supplies to take back. Once back we had a chill out....not fancying any more food tonight so the boring people we are...we got the books out. I'm reading Midas by Dominic Ranger set partly in Symi....half way through.

We have purchased a few drinks off our host as it does seem a little quiet with not all the rooms let.....every little helps this Island!

So an early night.....unless of course minds get changed!

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 29 Jun 2015, 16:59

Ps....

Back at our apartments, Nikos the son who works for the bank had left a nice little note to let us know we would have no problems at the ATM machines if we needed more cash and hoping we had a great time while we are here......as I've all ready said these are great, thoughtful people!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 29 Jun 2015, 17:58

Hope you make the walk to Nimborio - superb beer stop at the shack - not that I am reading anything into your posts ;) - you will recognise it when you see it :D
It wasn't open when we were there in May.
Another place that wasn't open was the Windmill Restaurant - turn the corner after Yannis to your right, below Giorgio & Maria's Taverna and walk past the supermarket and on your left you will see it if it is open : a very different menu.
Glad we are not "FitBit Friends" you are certainly getting the steps in :shock:
So glad to read how much you are enjoying Symi.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 29 Jun 2015, 19:33

We nearly went to the Windmill last night but the wind was up and the name of the Taverna gave us a clue....so we went for the safe bet!

We also nearly tried the Manteios Brasserie but went back up to Zoes'

Must try the Manteios as i've heard of a Greek Porter that I must try!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 29 Jun 2015, 19:54

Manteio's is worth a visit if only for the unusual Greek beers on sale which might just compensate for you missing the beer festival ;)
They are not cheap but definitely worth a try.

beer.jpg

The food is nothing too special but very good value and huge portions! Try the club sandwich which comes with enough chips to feed an army.
The home made pizzas are good too.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Val » 29 Jun 2015, 21:41

Lovely walk over the tops to Nimborio. Make sure you call in the church to take in the view down to the bay.

Calamari would be my recommendation served by Pannacotta....... but whatever you choose it's the setting that it's all about. Just so peaceful. Worth catching the taxi boat back so you get to see the coastline withh all the little hideways.

Have a lovely time and thanks for all the updates. Really appreciate the daily injection of Symi sunshine.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 30 Jun 2015, 19:58

Well we managed to get up before 9am.....this sea air is a great aid to sleeping....nothing to do with all that food and drink!

So we found the road out of Gialos (so many spellings of these places) Wow another steep road but as we got to the Cemetery things certainly got a bit easier! Before we knew it we were up by the church....it's not as far as people make out and we'd set of early too!

What we did notice as we dropped into Nimborio was the great smell of the herbs on the hillside.

We reached the Taverna quite early and did wonder whether to stay on the sunbeds but we are not really here on any beach holiday so decided against laying out all day. We did however stop at the Taverna and had some yogurt and honey and a coke with a great simple view and peace!

A slow wander back along the bottom road where the heat of late morning started to build but with the great views it wasn't long before we reached Nos and back to more food stops! We were sp tempted to go the the Tholos again but decided to walk on and sit at the Odyssia.....right we had the Feta Cheese in pastry with sesame seeds and honey, chips, seasonal vegetables in balsamic cream, prawn saganaki and bread....oh and another beer!

I must say it was very nice but the most expensive lunch at a total of 46 Euro.

A wander back round to the port where an extra cruise ship was in but strangely seemed less busy....unless people were hiding out of the heat like we did next for an Ice cream frappe! Liz decided her exercise was finished for the day and was going to take the bus but the madness came out in me and I set off up the long road round for more. I still beat the bus up with 20 mins start, and I was taking pictures along the way!

I waited at the Windmills and met Liz off the bus and wandered down to the Rainbow where I no loger have to say a word before a large beer appears like magic. :)

We were joined shortly after by Neil on his shift and the lady in the band , apologies i'm crap with names, James, Jo and here friend and then a lady appeared with her grand daughter with a local to us accent! I come away to escape local folk was the first thought then it got a little scary as she said..."are you Silverfox?"

Rumbled...my identity is out! Will Jill? now keep count and tell the world on my beer consumption?

After a nice hour on the balcony with a little more reading we were back off out for a pizza at the very quiet Manteio..... we were the only ones there. A bit of a disappointment on the beer front as a lot of the beers on the menu are not available so no Porter was to be found ( the owner is poorly was the explanation after I'd asked for 3 or 4 beers).....the had the Fix Dark but i've had that before so it was the Wheat Beer that Alan has kindly posted a picture off so I don't have to bother! :) The Pizzas we had were good by the way but as Neil had warned us....we did have to wait a while! Liz had half a litre of white and the bill was 26 Euro.

A call at the supermarket before trying to find our way home in the dark :)

I have taken over 100 photos a day so will have to try to share a few more with you all.

Tomorrow? St Nicks? More food? :D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 30 Jun 2015, 20:25

Symi moon

P1020258edited2.JPG
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 01 Jul 2015, 20:09

Don't feel like writing a blog tonight....being honest! Been warm today! Plus nearly 8 miles walked!

I set off up the road to the heights which was actually easier than i thought and got some great pictures. I did manage to find the old path that takes you down near the flag above the castle. Liz stayed back at the apartment as our last big walk in Crete down the Samaria gorge is still talked about when she gets annoyed with me!

By the way I don't think people should do this walk with sandles like I did....the feet are still a little sore!

Back and refreshed with a little juice (no I don't drink petrol) we set off for a walk down to Pedi for a little lunch....the view was great but the food in the Kataras Taverna was well below what we have had elsewhere....we had the mixed meze starter for 2 which had all the dips some beans, tuna and tough octopus. We were not impressed....sorry but say as you see! We decided to retrieve the situation by catching the bus back to Gialos to get some custards from the Nicolas bakery! :) Bumped into a few who we were no doubt to meet a little later!

Once had we had a sit on a bench for a hour before the bus back up to Chorio...we did have to move quick to get the bus so most people must have thought we were late for the ferry!

Another few beers at the local with most of the usual suspects while the Greek workers were hard at it putting up new railings on the square so we didn't have to listen to each other talking the usual entertaining rubbish! :D Some more locals....very tired by their working day starting in the early hours were still managing to nod off whilst all this took place. Wish i'd videod the animation sequence by Neil and Toby. :D

After a short sit in the sun/cloud.....yes there was a little cloud we ventured down to the Zylygos and had a starter of the feta cheese fried in sesame seeds with honey followed by the Lamb with lemon potatoes with a litre of white. Another great meal...so despite lunch I feel we are doing great on the food front.

So back up for a Metaxa nightcap with Liz opting for the Ouzo.

Tomorrow....Lizs' birthday and our 33rd wedding anniversary so no plans made! Wonder if she knows where the Launderette is?

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Val » 02 Jul 2015, 10:02

Thanks for staying with it Steve. It must be a bit of a bind sometimes getting down to writing the old blog when so many Symi pleasures await.

Lovely moon photo. We had a beautiful clear night here as we'll. Never really got dark that night it seemed.

Have a great day on Liz's Birthday - whatever you decide to do, and enjoy your anniversary the two of you.

Special meal tonight maybe? Look forward to the next instalment.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 02 Jul 2015, 17:54

May not do a blog tonight....already had too much food and drink....try to update tomorrow!

Allan you are a fine gentleman! You know why!

I hope to meet you one day!

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Val » 02 Jul 2015, 18:55

Don't blame you Steve. You're on holiday for God's sake. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT,
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2015, 18:31

Avrio!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2015, 04:58

Thursday was Lizs' birthday so she opened loads of cards she'd brought from home. If it had been my birthday they would have been left at home but i'm a typical man I suppose.

I think we had big plans for today but we've been really caught up in this holiday thing....relaxation. We just can't be bothered to do much at all. No trips to beaches, no major hikes in the hills and no boat trips. We are just relaxing which is very nice indeed.

Liz fancied breakfast so we made our way down to the Olive Tree to have the poached eggs on toast, which are very nice by the way! We then had a slow walk down the long road which Liz finds it easier on her knees but you do get some great views of the harbour that way too. We seem to be the only people doing this walk which I think is a shame.

It was a little windy this morning so our plans for a big meal tonight at the Windmill was once again re-thought so we made sure we had a nice lunch at To Spitiko with Liz having the sea bream and I had the Chicken Slouvaki...once again great food washed down with a litre of the house white. I did the slow walk back up the hill and Liz went for the bus meeting up at the Windmills before our usual afternoon drink at the Rainbow. We did think of going out later but we could not resist a Giros as we passed on the way back up to our apartments. A metaxa night cap was all that was needed.

I had planned to see the sunrise over Pedi on Friday but that never happened, i've been trying since we arrived but we are sleeping very well, too well, as I opened the shutters at after 9am to wake Liz. Another plan was to go to one of the beaches and once again it never happened. :D Avrio indeed!!!

Same as Thursday with a wander down to the Harbour and round to Tholos on the far corner where we had another feast of Stuffed peppers, Lemon potatoes, Feta parcels in honey and Symi Shrimps.

We have now hit a brick wall of eating we think....you can have too much on holiday and sometimes you need a break so we bought a bit of bread, ham and tomatoes to have with a quiet evening on the balcony and an early night to see that sunrise.....ps this was after me having a few beers at the Rainbow while Liz had a nap.

silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2015, 05:14

Pedi sunrise Saturday morning!

I managed to get up early! :)

11722410_10152887732336922_2330133632312139693_o.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby SueO » 04 Jul 2015, 06:04

What a wonderful photo - definitely worth getting up early for! Have another great day.

Sue
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 04 Jul 2015, 07:54

Seriously impressed with you getting up early to catch the sunrise, Steve.

If we ever need a break from the wonderful Greek food Symi offers - it happened when we were there for three weeks :D - we head for The Dolphin just over the bridge at the harbour. Superb pizza and pasta.

Keep up that 100% record in Yianis Rainbow Bar :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 04 Jul 2015, 09:31

Great sunrise :D The only time I usually get up early enough to see it is on the last day when I've got to be up early to catch the early morning bus back to Rhodes lol. Hoping I won't have to get up as early in September as booked the night flight back - but will have to wait and see.

Another vote for the Dolphin. I usually eat there a couple of times when I'm on Symi as love pasta and the wine is very reasonable there too ;-)

Enjoy the rest of your trip :-)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2015, 18:32

Taken today on the way to St Nicks beach...

11053561_10152889065601922_626947555062468828_o.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Jul 2015, 09:47

As you can see Saturday morning we managed to get up early as i'd fallen asleep early Friday night after a simple night in with ham, cheese and tomatoes with crusty bread.

We set off down to Pedi which for people who have never been a nice easy walk down the hill. You can get the bus from either up top or down bottom :)

We had decided on a morning at the beach so carried on through Pedi to the right and up the little path to St Nicholas Beach. It is slightly awkward in places with a few steps into the sea and a little scramble over rocks at times. It was worth it to get some great pictures along the way of little boats and the Lizard which I shared a couple of posts back. We picked a sun bed near the little church and did a little sunbathing. They do charge 3 euro each bed but if you spend in the taverna you get 3 euro off for 15 euro spend so we had lunch which come to just over 30 Euro so we got our money back on the beds! :)

We had a cheese and ham omelette, without any ham in it, and chips a litre of wine and a large water. Once again very nice home made chips and great omelette...not bad for a little beach side taverna.

We had another hour after lunch in the sun and then went back over the hill to Pedi which only took us 20 minutes. We were going to go back on the boat but we were at the top of the hill as George came round the bay. We just caught the bus as we got back into Pedi and up to the rainbow bar for a beer or two. We have enjoyed our afternoon beer breaks with a chat alongside Neil, Jo and often a visit from Toby too. It was a hive of activity near the square as they were getting ready for a big wedding. We had planned to go the Georgios but with the amount of people expected at the wedding looking at the number of chairs we decided against that as they were providing the food. They had also carried loads of tables out of the Taverna for the event. So once again we had a simple night with bread, ham and cheese!

It may sound like we are being lazy but we are clocking up the miles which I will add up at the end of the holiday as my fitbit is recording it all.

Update from Sunday coming soon!

11705446_10152889066671922_6189000142989430090_o.jpg

11051974_10152889066051922_1144666670642355936_o.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports