Re: If it's May .....

Postby Eliza » 24 May 2015, 19:19

I do enjoy your Symi holiday.Thanks
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 26 May 2015, 08:40

Sunday sees the bread run down the Kali Strata to Yialos and back up the School Steps. After a later than usual breakfast we head down to our frappe / wifi stop. Then round to Elpidas for a beer stop. After our second Fix someone shouts D's name and remarkably his sister and brother-in-law (D&R) appear. They had booked a flight last minute and got into the Pedi Beach Hotel just so they could surprise us - an amazing and lovely surprise.
From Elpidas the now six of us head to TzaTi for a variety of bruchetta for lunch with some tzatziki and olives.
We walk back round to catch the bus for Pedi (D&R) and a taxi up to Chorio for the rest of us. D&P head for the supermarket but find it closed so are "forced" to wait in Yiannis with a beer or two chatting over things with Neil & Toby of Symi Dream - their daily blog is indispensable.
The crib tournament is held on the balcony of the apartment and the girls get a game back so the score is now 8-6.
D&R join us and we head for Yiannis and then to Zylygos where we have a mezes of beetroot & skadalia, moussaka, liver, tuna salad, feta encrusted in sesame with honey and imam. With complimentary coconut cake Lefteris did us very proud.
So after showing D&R onto the Pedi Road and planning to meet next morning at the Pedi jetty we head for bed.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 26 May 2015, 09:17

Our last Monday and the last bread run. After breakfast we head down to the Pedi jetty to meet D&R. Although there are some clouds we decide on a day at St.Nicholas so jump on George's boat. Once again we are first on the beach and get the choice of sun beds. The sun does hide behind clouds from time to time but the water is lovely.
A lunch of freshly caught fish, whitebait, tzatziki and Greek salad is perfect.
The cloud has totally burned off so after a couple of hours we head back on the 4pm boat. The return price remains at €5 for St.Nichols and €6 to go to Agia Marina.
We walk back up the Pedi road and are back in The Secret Garden to carry on the crib tournament and with the boys winning 2 out of 2 reach the magic 10 wins and win the tournament 10-6. We then all head for Yannis and then to Giorgios for our last dinner there. A mezes of beans gigantes, bourataki, beef in Metaxa, pork in mustard, goat in lemon, cheese balls, mushrooms and octopus balls. All superb as usual.
After agreeing to rendezvous in Yialos next day we all headed to bed.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 26 May 2015, 09:23

This is a live post from Cafe Aigialos (just opposite where the Posseidon berths). This is our favourite frappe stop where we use the wifi. The Posseidon has set off round the island and Irini's 11am taxi boat has now departed. The day trippers from Rodos have just arrived.
After this we will saunter round the port - a few things bought over the last two weeks need picking up and a final visit to the ATM. Tonight will be Zoe's as we always go there on our last night. We have to have our bags at the pick up point for 05:30 tomorrow morning so the final post in this series will ne reflections on Thursday as we will not be home until gone 11pm tomorrow night.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 26 May 2015, 09:26

Have a safe journey home and thank you for posting your holiday story, it's much appreciated.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » 28 May 2015, 08:28

It's Thursday morning back in Llanddeiniol, Mid Wales.
Firstly we would like to thank all those who have read and commented on the posts over the last two weeks. D uses an excellent App called TripRider which allows us to organise and then create a record of our trips and from the Diary section of the App it is easy to copy and paste to this excellent Forum.
The last night was memorable as for the first time D's sister and brother-in-law could join us (they are still in Pedi for the next two weeks and of course we are not envious :shock: ).
It was very kind of Neil & Toby to invite us for pre-drinks, drinks and nibbles in their new abode. What a stunning house. See you guys in October.
Yiannis then saw a bit of "musical chairs" as the rain started. Once again proud of a 100% attendance record :oops:
The day had started with a farewell breakfast in the Olive Tree - this will now be a regular treat for all future visits.
We wandered around the port saying our farewell's with an omelette lunch at Cafe Evios.
D&E climbed the Kali for the last time of the holiday but as P&H had stocked up on Metaxa they took a taxi.
After pre-drinks with Neil & Toby and then drinks in Yiannis we headed to Zoe's which was quite busy - clearly we are not alone in making this our traditional last night venue. A large mezes of calamari, bouryadi, tuna fish salad, beans gigantes, moussaka, beef stifados, Symi lamb, beetroot with skadalia was an excellent celebratory dinner to end another superb holiday in this magical place.
We returned to our apartment in the rain with the wind getting up, thunder rumbling in the hills and lightening somewhere towards Rodos.
Not much sleep as we were being picked up next morning at 05:30 for the 06:30 ferry departure. The Symi Tours bus was very promt to pick us up on the Pedi Road (where we had been dropped off on arrival). No longer do the bags go down on their own and you walk to the ferry. The mini-bus takes you and your bags - which was quite welcome in view of the weather. Katja did give us the option of just leaving the bags to be picked up and for us to walk down but we took the lazy option.
Everything was coved in the red Sahara dust that rainstorms often bring.
The crossing on the big Dodek ferry was fine but we did learn from D's sister that the hydrofoil due later in the day was delayed. We had breakfast near the International Hotel and made it to Socrates Garden in Rhodes Old Town for a final small Mythos.
The check-in at Diagoras was particularly slow but then there was not that much sitting around before we boarded and everything run to time. We cleared Manchester Airport by 7pm and with quiet roads were home by 10pm.

To reflect on our two weeks in paradise we would firstly thank all those people on Symi who make us so welcome : you know who you are as you have done this regularly over the last twenty years. Your generosity even in difficult times is amazing.
The island was very quiet and many seem to agree that scaremongering in the foreign press about there being no food on the shelves and money not being available from ATMs may be impacting. The press should be ashamed. We do hope that things pick up during June to September as the people on Symi work very long hours each and every day during the summer heat and deserve success.
The food was as ever of the highest quality - we are vowing to ourselves that we will spread our net wider than our usual favourites in October when we will be living "down". Should keep us fit if we try and replicate our 100% attendance record at the wonderful Yiannis but perhaps Elpida's will have to provide interim support.
The taxi boats from Yialos seemed to us to have started later than usual so we did not make it out on one of those but that was to George and St.Nick's benefit.
Circumstances and our own procrastination saw us miss out on the Posseidon trips but will rectify that in October - definite.
So there ends another wonderful two weeks on Symi.

Now to get on the scales and just see how much "damage" has been done :o
And then to get the amazing Greyam (the cat) from the cattery.

Yasou,
D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 28 May 2015, 11:56

I always remember my mother telling me years ago that anticipation is 90% of the pleasure. This year's anticipation has certainly been fuelled by your blog . . . thank you! Two weeks to go and counting! We so agree that we must all do our bit to help the wonderful island people who make us feel so welcome. This year we're flying via Kos for a change and spending some time on Lipsi as well as on Symi. We'll warm up some seats on Poseidon for you. Now must go and check out TripRider . . .

Julia and Mike
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby STEVE » 28 May 2015, 13:17

I hope you've taken the weather home with you as we set off on our 4 week trip next Wednesday. First Nisyros, then Patmos and Lipsi before arriving on Symi on 20 June. Your reports have certainly heightened our expectation and, rest assured, our aim is to leave as many Euros in Greece as we can!! This is our 'Big Holiday' that we've saved up for for a long time celebrating our retirement, big birthdays, 40th wedding anniversary (last year actually) etc. etc. We intend to make the most of it!!

Steve
Last edited by STEVE on 29 May 2015, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 29 May 2015, 06:54

Fantastic reporting over the last two weeks, May would not be the same without it. Thank you and we are now ready for our two week fix in two weeks time.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 30 May 2015, 08:18

Just caught up on the rest of your trip, thank you so much for sharing your Symi holiday with us all and giving me a taste of things to come - though hopefully no rain :wink: I have to wait until the end of September for my Symi fix but will be flying to Santorini next week to go island hopping in the Cyclades so will get my first Greek fix of the year then :mrgreen:
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 30 May 2015, 14:05

Thanks for the daily updates!

I'm considering trying a similar diary from a Symi newbie. Not sure if we will be interesting enough.

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 30 May 2015, 14:38

Oh, it will!

We always love to read about Symi and it'll be particularly interesting to see it through the eyes of a first time visitor. Do, please, tell us your impressions of the place.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 31 May 2015, 12:33

Allan wrote:Oh, it will!

We always love to read about Symi and it'll be particularly interesting to see it through the eyes of a first time visitor. Do, please, tell us your impressions of the place.

I'll try my best but you will have to wait....24 days to go!

Not that i'm counting. ;)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 01 Jun 2015, 15:08

image.jpg

Hi Silverfox,

We look forward to reading about your adventures on Symi.

Yammas

D&E
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 02 Jun 2015, 20:53

Just the one small retsina D&E? ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gemma1 » 03 Jun 2015, 07:39

silverfox wrote:Thanks for the daily updates!

I'm considering trying a similar diary from a Symi newbie. Not sure if we will be interesting enough.

I usually do a trip report, if people don't like it they don't have to read it ;-) I especially enjoy reading about all the lovely meals that D and E have though apart from when I had the meze at Secret Garden last year (very nice) my meals aren't half as interesting as usually just consist of a main course.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Jun 2015, 15:25

Allan wrote:Just the one small retsina D&E? ;)

Allan - when art overcomes reality :D
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 03 Jun 2015, 15:35

Gemma1 wrote:
silverfox wrote:Thanks for the daily updates!

I usually do a trip report, if people don't like it they don't have to read it ;-) I especially enjoy reading about all the lovely meals that D and E have though apart from when I had the meze at Secret Garden last year (very nice) my meals aren't half as interesting as usually just consist of a main course.

Hi Gemma - we do chose most of our mezes from the starters menu and our last trip was with friends so that allowed us to order some mains for the four of us to dig into. Our last three nights included my sister and her husband so with six of us we really went for it. In October when there is just the two of us we find five starters (maybe one main mixed in) to be our max. Salivating at the thought as I type. I am not sure if the restaurant above the gym (name escapes me as we haven't been for a few years) is still going but it used to do a taster menu where lovely starter size portions just kept coming until you shouted stop.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Colette » 03 Jun 2015, 16:12

HI D&E,

Stavros is still there on the roof above the gym ( I expect to have some lovely meals there in the not too distant future) he also now has the downstairs taverna which used to be Mr Tasty's and very good it is too. I'm off to Symi next Wednesday for 3 weeks so will be sampling all Symi has to offer. Like you my evenings usually start at the Rainbow whether eating "up" or "down" and end at either the Secret Garden or the Sunrise - sometimes both!! Allan, looking forward to seeing you and Julie .
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 03 Jun 2015, 20:44

D&E, it's a relief to eventually find out that you have mostly starters than main courses. Having read your last few trips and salivating over your meals I always thought we couldn't get through all of the courses in one sitting. It's makes sense now that you have starters, I was going to ask but felt it may have been too rude to do so.
We will certainly try that approach when we visit in June.....silly really but it really makes good sense having lots of little bits.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports