Symi's flowers

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

Symi's flowers

Postby Anthony » 29 Apr 2008, 22:20

I've just posted on Flickr a selection of my 'Symi in March' photos. They cover the unfamiliar appearance of the island at that time, in terms of shuttered bars and businesses, weed-covered streets, and masses of wild flowers.

This isn't my main posting of Symi's spring flowers - I'm hoping to get round to that separately later.

To look at the photos, follow this link:

http://flickr.com/photos/21006318@N04/sets/72157604801139351/
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby Kojak » 29 Apr 2008, 23:12

Excellent photos Anthony! when I spent Easter on Symi I was amazed to see how different it looked with grass and flowers. A pity that many of the little lambs are no longer with us though...
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby Anthony » 28 Jun 2008, 16:38

I've finished editing the flower photos that I took on my May-June visit to Symi, and put a selection on the internet. To see them, follow this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21006318@N04/sets/72157605863385771/detail/

You can also view them as a slide-show: click on the link in the top right-hand corner of the screen.

Most of these pictures are of flowers growing wild: but naturally enough many of those grown in gardens are more showy. I have included therefore a number of these at the end of the selection, prefixing the titles with 'ZZ' to indicate their cultivated status.

I do of course still have another batch of flower photos to work on from my March-April visit, most of which are different from the ones blooming in May. Hopefully it will not be too long before I can post a selection of these.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby muppet » 28 Jun 2008, 17:29

Thank you Anthony. What a wonderful set of photographs. I have really enjoyed looking at them.
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby Joanie » 28 Jun 2008, 18:52

They are lovely pictures Athony.Thanks for sharing them :)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby Ange » 28 Jun 2008, 22:58

Thanks Anthony for putting the photos up, I have enjoyed looking at them.

They are excellent photos, I like to take photos of flowers myself and enjoy looking at other peoples photos. I really like the photo of the Honeysuckle (5511) and the Albizia (5500) I have seen the Albizia in flower in Madeira and its a fantastic tree. I've grown it here as a pot plant but never managed to get flowers. The garden shrub (5282) I'm sure its Plumbago.

The photos have shown me just how many wild flowers there are on Symi. We're going to try and go one year now!

Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby Anthony » 28 Jun 2008, 23:20

Ange wrote:
The garden shrub (5282) I'm sure its Plumbago.
Thanks - I was hoping somebody would provide that information! Not having a garden - I live in a flat right in the centre of London (Pimlico) - I'm much better at wild flowers than cultivated ones.

The shrub in question does seem to have an unusually long flowering season, and I guess many of you will have seen it: it's just beyond the very top of the Kalistrata, near the start of the street down to the main road by the doctors' surgery in Horio (and beyond that, the road down to Taxiarchis.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby maziemoo » 29 Jun 2008, 09:39

Lovely photos Anthony...thank you. Well done Ange, you beat me to it.....when I saw the blue flowers, I thought ah that's plumbago...it's a beautiful plant.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi's flowers

Postby hilarias » 30 Jun 2008, 00:17

Thanks for the wonderful photos Anthony. It's always great to see anything of Symi especially a side of it many of us don't see when we arrive in summer. The majority of flowers have all died off. I agree with you to Geoff on some of those plants. Being a volunteer gardener with the local council it's always a swine to try and remove some of these from peoples overgrown yards. :!:
hilarias
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous