High heels?

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

High heels?

Postby regina » 02 Aug 2012, 09:24

My holiday is very close and I'm thinking about things to put into my suitcase. I know it's not vital but I'm wondering if there is any chance I could wear heels at night in Symi. Do I risk a leg being broken?
Sorry for this silly question but I hope women from the forum answer my question...
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

High heels?

Postby SamanthaF » 02 Aug 2012, 11:07

Hi Regina, I took heels to Symi once. Just once.

Roads and paths are much improved on 15 years ago, but it's not really a heel friendly place. You'll be far more comfortable in pretty flat sandals.

Really looking forward to you discovering Symi :)
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

High heels?

Postby Maggiemoo » 02 Aug 2012, 12:03

I am just thinking of packing too, and was debating taking a pair of heels this time, but to be honest I've decided against them and am just taking Birkenstocks instead as I'm staying up in the village and know I won't be able to make it up (or down) the Kali Strata in heels!! I broke my foot really badly falling down a teeny little step in Symi in bare feet, so dread to think what damage I could do falling over in heels!! What date do you go? I'm going on 15th for a week xx
Maggiemoo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

High heels?

Postby SueL » 02 Aug 2012, 13:24

I'm taking 2 pairs of flip flops and a pair of flat pumps to me Symi is not a place for heels. We'll be there on August 22nd
SueL
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

High heels?

Postby maziemoo » 02 Aug 2012, 17:03

I've worn kitten heels, those little 1 to 2 inch ones which are probably as much as you'd go for on Symi. Around the harbour will be fine but if you decide to do a step climb anything more will make it hard going especially if you've enjoyed an ouzo or three ;) ...having said that I've seen quite a few of the local ladies wearing heels but then I guess they are accustomed to the terrain.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

High heels?

Postby regina » 02 Aug 2012, 22:10

Thank you all for answering!
Unfortunately you confirmed my suspicion... I believe I'll pack two pairs of flat sandals and one pair of heels, just in case I feel I can wear them! ;)
Anyway, I'll be in Symi from 7th till 21st
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

High heels?

Postby Gemma1 » 03 Aug 2012, 08:41

I no longer pack heels when I go anywhere in Greece as I tend to stay in places where there are a lot of uneven surfaces and steps. On an evening in Symi I quite often have a walk round the harbour and then back up the Kali Strata and flat sandals are much more comfortable :) .
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

High heels?

Postby Adriana » 03 Aug 2012, 11:47

The local ladies wear the most astonishing high heels to weddings and Christenings - but usually only put them on when they get to the church :D The tricky bits are tackled in more sensible footwear.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

High heels?

Postby Ange » 03 Aug 2012, 23:12

I don't bother with heels either when abroad now, though the last time in Symi I had a pair of comfy wedge sandals I wore when we stayed round the harbour at night. I prefer the flat indian type sandals and usually some walking type sandals in the day. I usually travel light and heels tend to take up too much weight!
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

High heels?

Postby Olga » 05 Aug 2012, 19:50

Like the rest of you, I have learned by experience, Symi paths and roads 'eat' heels, and after coming home with several pairs of ruined heels, I now stick to small wedges, or flats, even though it reduces me to midget size.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

High heels?

Postby Colette » 05 Aug 2012, 21:14

A years ago walked down the kalistrata with a well known lady from the village who has always seen in heels, she was wearing slippers and as we got down to Frederika's shop she produced the high heels out of her bag and sasheyed down to the harbour in her usuel style ;) Myself I just stick with the flat sandals these days but that is because I'm a wimp :)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

High heels?

Postby regina » 05 Aug 2012, 23:28

ahahahah!!! [:-)] Colette, your friend had a wonderful idea! I'll try to do the same as I'm not very tall...
regina
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous