Lemon potatoes

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

Lemon potatoes

Postby Morgana » 22 Sep 2013, 18:57

Help, please! We both love lemon potatoes and I guess this is the easiest way to find a good recipe. I'm fairly sure the basic ingredients will be potatoes and lemon - it's all the rest of it (i.e. method) that I'm not too sure about. I'm just hoping that cooking one my favourite dishes will add a touch of sunshine to life. Cheers.
Morgana
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Lemon potatoes

Postby D and E » 22 Sep 2013, 21:44

No expert but believe the type of potato is vital - waxy not floury. Adriana has posted some super recipes over the years so we will bow to her expertise in such matters and hope she comes to the rescue.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Lemon potatoes

Postby maziemoo » 22 Sep 2013, 22:05

a lovely lady on Halki showed me how to do this a few years back.

peel and cut potatoes into quarters, place in an oven proof dish and cover with hot water, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and some mixed herbs, then pour roughly half a cup of olive oil over the potatoes and place in the oven on a medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour. 10 minutes before the end pour in half a cup of lemon juice.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Lemon potatoes

Postby Morgana » 23 Sep 2013, 21:21

Many thanks to both of you. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.
Morgana
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Lemon potatoes

Postby Olga » 23 Sep 2013, 23:10

Maziemoos recipe is very similar to the one I use regularly, mine came from The Traditional Greek Cookery Book, which is widely available in the tourist shops, (there they are called oven roasted potatoes),
The same book also has a recipe for baclavas if Always Baking wants to try that,
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Lemon potatoes

Postby Adriana » 24 Sep 2013, 09:11

When my trees are loaded with lemons in the spring I sometimes put a lemon, cut into chunks or slices, in with the potatoes, along with a whole clove or two of garlic. It is very important that you use firm, waxy potatoes so that they don't go soggy and fall apart as they are cooked in liquid rather than hot fat like English roast potatoes. Most of the liquid should have evaporated or been absorbed by the potatoes by the time they are done.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Lemon potatoes

Postby Morgana » 30 Sep 2013, 16:31

Thank you so much Adriana, and everyone else who has helped. Now I have no excuse for not having a go.
Morgana
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Lemon potatoes

Postby Morgana » 16 Oct 2013, 19:25

I put together all the very helpful suggestions I was given and am delighted to say it worked beautifully - so a very big thank you to all those who so kindly replied. I am feeling really smug about my minor culinary achievement when casually mentioning it to fellow lovers of Greek food (and holidays!)
Morgana
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous