Symi during end of April / beginning of May?

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

Postby Mutzenhubel » 24 Jun 2013, 19:18

So far, we several times have spent 10 to 14 days in Symi in the pre-season (second half of May) and once in the late season (first half of October) to avoid the summer heat (and, not unimportant, to take advantage of the lower rates).
Unfortunately, from today's point of view, in 2014 we will neither make in the second half of May nor end of September / beginning of October.
A conceivable way out could be the last week in April and the first week in May.
Are there any suggestions, which possible constraints and restrictions should be taken into consideration?
Mutzenhubel
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Andy W » 24 Jun 2013, 20:15

In 2014 Greek Easter is on the weekend of 20 April. Easter is when the island really gets going after the winter, but even this year when Easter was 2 weeks later the beach facilities and taxi boats weren't available that early, and ferry services while daily didn't have the frequency they do by late May. I was on Symi this year in late April/early May. The weather was consistently hot and sunny, but most years you might expect a couple of rainy days. I had a great time, but it depends what you want to do.
If you want beaches, you're restricted to the ones you can walk to (or catch the bus to Pedi) and you need to bring a picnic lunch.
If you want boat trips, you might be lucky if enough other tourists want to go.
Tavernas and bars - there will be lots open, but maybe some favourites won't be yet - there aren't enough tourists to make it viable for all of them, and some prefer to wait until the weather is settled.
Walking - excellent time as it is usually still cool but the days are long - but you will have to walk there AND back!
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 24 Jun 2013, 20:28

I agree with all of Andy's comments and if you can get to Symi for Easter next year I can guarantee you'll find it fascinating. There tends to be extra ferries in the run-up to the Easter weekend which may help your travel arrangements.

One disadvantage of an early holiday is that you are likely to find the choice of flights limited. Most charter flights won't have started and the same goes for some of the direct scheduled flights too. You may have to travel via Athens depending on where you are travelling from.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mutzenhubel » 26 Jun 2013, 16:28

Thank you for your comprehensive and detailed answer, Andy W, and for your hints, Allan.
Mutzenhubel
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous