Medical facilities on Symi

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

Postby 1885wilson » 31 Aug 2013, 15:21

Are there any medical facilities on Symi in case of emergency?
1885wilson
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Allan » 31 Aug 2013, 15:26

Yes. Two clinics, one in Yialos and one in Chorio. Doctors, nurses, dentists, everything necessary to cope with most emergencies. There's no need to worry.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JeanW » 31 Aug 2013, 15:54

I needed a doctor when I was on Symi May 2012 and turned up at the Medical Centre near the bus stop in Chorio- I was seen straight away and given a script. My only expense was at the Pharmacy for the medication.
Remember to take an up to date European Health Insurance Card as that was the first thing I was asked for when I turned up at the medical centre.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Val » 31 Aug 2013, 16:21

A few years ago when staying on Lipsi I had a really nasty eye Infection and somewhat reluctantly decided a visit to the Doctor was inevitable when the pharmacist insisted on making me an appointment. I can honestly say the consultation and the treatment was the best I've ever experienced. The Doc himself was charming and the whole experience taught me never to expect the worst. Enjoy your holiday without any worries about possible health scares. Greek medicine is second to none.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby SueO » 01 Sep 2013, 17:00

I too can vouch for the efficiency and kindness of the doctor at the clinic in Chorio. I picked up quite a nasty chest infection last year and was really struggling to breath. Went to the clinic and was seen immediately. After a bit of tinkering with a huge oxygen cylinder he set me up on a nebuliser for 10 minutes or so (which was a great help) and prescribed antibiotics and two inhalers to use until I was better - problem sorted with a minimum of fuss and at no point was I asked for my European Health card. We asked 'how much?' and were promptly told - nothing! He chatted to my husband while I was taking on oxygen and it was evident that he was very proud of the clinic and the service he was able to offer. It was also clear that in addition to his 'doctoring' he also maintained all the equipment and did a lot of the cleaning etc. himself so we did leave some euros to help with maintenance which I think he appreciated. The drugs were quite expensive but both the doctor and the pharmacist were very keen to make sure everything was signed and stamped so that we could claim on our insurance. I also had occasion to visit the dentist in Yialos a few years ago with a broken tooth - he too was charming and very gentle - and his repair work is still in place. That did cost but was much cheaper than my NHS dentist in the UK. The surgery seemed to double up as his art studio and he even gave me a set of postcards of his work to take home with me!

All in all I think you can have confidence that minor emergencies can be safely handled on Symi and if something really dire occurs there is always the helipad for emergency transfer to Rhodes. I believe the Dodekanisos ferries have also been know to make a special run for medical emergencies too.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 01 Sep 2013, 17:32

Some years ago a friend who had heart fibrilations was taken ill on Symi - the added combination of dehydration and a slight chest infection made him feel really ill. 2 young doctors visited him and set up a drip to rehydrate him and also checked his heart. They came again at 8pm and also at 2 am. At 8am the next morning the young lady doctor came again and decided that he should have a check-up at the hospital in Rhodes. I packed while he was loaded into the doctor's car and we were taken to the hydrofoil which ran at the time. On board he was connected up to a mobile heart monitor and there was an ambulance waiting for him at Mandraki. At the hospital he was seen immediately. I waited in A and E and noted that the only people waiting there were friends or relatives - every patient was seen immediately. The young doctor accompanied us and apologised for having to leave later, giving me her mobile number so that I could phone and let her know how he was. I was very impressed with the entire process.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Olga » 01 Sep 2013, 19:12

A few years ago, whilst on Symi, a lady told me she had booked dental treatment with the local dentist, as he had treated her daughter the year before, and done an excellent job. It was also going to be very much cheaper than in Britain.So medical tourism is not only one way,as some of the more reactionary newspapers would have us believe.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby John H » 01 Sep 2013, 19:22

I've heard some of the ex-pats on the island talking about how good the health service is, and how much better they thought it was than in the UK. I did wonder whether, in the light of the financial problems in Greece, it was something that they had had to cut back spending on. Fortunately, I've never had to avail myself of treatment apart from getting something from the pharmacy for a sunburnt foot, but does anyone know whether the service is still as good or whether it has suffered in the financial crisis?
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 01 Sep 2013, 21:16

I've heard that Rhodes hospital (the public one, not Euromedica) no longer offers treatment in some specialities due to funding cuts, and local patients go to Crete or Athens. It's doubtful if this would affect tourists to any extent as the idea has always been to stabilise whatever condition they have so they can safely return home to complete their treatment, and the emergency facilities are still in full operation, as are most hospital departments.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous