Walking guide

Archived posts about beaches, sightseeing, entertainment....

Walking guide

Postby Barry H » 26 Feb 2010, 13:29

Last year I started to put walking guides on the internet including 3 walks on Symi and 9 on Nisyros - http://www.aartworld.com/GreekIslandWalkshome.htm
This year I plan to expand the walking guide considerably with another half dozen or more walks on Symi and include other islands such as Tilos, Kalymnos and Astypalea.

So I'm looking for feedback on the walks already on the net. Did anybody find them last year? Did anybody use them? Were they helpful? Any feedback, positive or negative would be much appreciated. Feedback would be useful before I start to overhaul the site and possibly modify the format. :?:
Barry H
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Walking guide

Postby snoopy2 » 26 Feb 2010, 14:22

Wow - great guides Barry H. Wish i had seen them before my visit to Symi last September but when i return to Symi will certainly follow them. By accident rather than design did the Horio one and yes - beautiful view from up there and a different feel to the place - people living in properties up there but got a general poorer feel to it.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Walking guide

Postby John H » 10 Mar 2010, 13:13

Barry - they look great! They look similar to the UK walking guides on the 'walkingworld.com' site, which I use a lot and find very useful. Having the photos will, I'm sure, be a great help especially knowing how easy it is to get lost higher up in Chorio. It's been three years since I was last in Symi but I'm hoping to make it this summer so if I do, I'll try them out and let you have more feedback then.
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Walking guide

Postby Mille » 10 Mar 2010, 13:19

Very interesting Barry H, thank you!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Walking guide

Postby peterv » 10 Mar 2010, 18:41

I used the one to the "viewpoint" last year and is was very easy to follow. Keep it up.
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Walking guide

Postby snoopy2 » 11 Mar 2010, 09:12

:) Barry - have you asked Allan to put them on the What to do Section in the general info on Symi? Allan is very good about including info and it would help not only people who go regularly but new visitors. sorry you feel you weren't getting feedback but with 158 hits then the interest is definately there. Forum quiet at this time of year as well. ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Walking guide

Postby StDavid » 11 Mar 2010, 11:11

Thank you Barry for your walking guides. We have printed them off ready for our holiday in June.
StDavid
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Walking guide

Postby BPSOMERSET » 11 Mar 2010, 16:46

Hello Barry
We did the walk up to the Viewpoint last May and really enjoyed it. In picture 16 the building/wall had been painted brown/yellow ochre. I have a photograph somewhere. We might try one of the other walks this year, but will certainly do the Viewpoint again, or even higher if we have the energy.
BPSOMERSET
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Walking guide

Postby D and E » 13 Mar 2010, 12:18

Well done Barry - what an innovative way to provide a walking guide. We have a book on walks on Symi but your use of photos certainly gives one more confidence to attempt these routes. Your site is now bookmarked and will certainly be used during 2010. Keep up the good work.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Walking guide

Postby Ange » 13 Mar 2010, 22:22

Thanks Barry for all the hard work gone into doing the walks and getting them written up.
When we was going to Nissyros in 2008 we looked everywhere for some walks but couldn't find any, wish they was around then!
Look forward to going to Symi again and hopefully doing some of the walks. Hope to visit Astypalea one day too.
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Walking guide

Postby Aspen » 14 Mar 2010, 20:56

The walks look excellent and the instructions are accessible and logical. I'm looking forward to trying out walks two and three while we're on Symi this year. Thanks for doing all the groundwork!
Aspen
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Walking guide

Postby Barry H » 16 Mar 2010, 10:28

Thanks for the feedback folks. Good to know I won't be wasting my time this summer
Barry H
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Walking guide

Postby muppet » 16 Mar 2010, 14:05

Thanks Barry. They look very useful indeed. Will copy them for our stay in June.
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to What to do