Symi excursions

Archived posts about beaches, sightseeing, entertainment....

Symi excursions

Postby snapperjon » 16 Jun 2011, 15:36

Hi folks,

Is there a list of Symi trips and prices anywhere? Trips around the island, day trips to Turkey and similar exotic destinations, bus times, walking trips and so forth? A comprehensive guide in other words. Does such a thing exist?
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby Andy W » 16 Jun 2011, 16:00

I've never seen a single unified list anywhere, Jon. It would be a good idea, but may be quite difficult to do. A lot changes as the season goes on - Walking trips start earlier to avoid excessive heat, the Symi Bus runs longer into the evening, the Panormitis bus makes 3 trips instead of two, and so on. Then in September and October the changes go into reverse as the days get shorter and the visitors get fewer. You'd really need a month-by-month guide.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby George » 16 Jun 2011, 20:05

Month by month would not work either. Taxi boats and trip boats do not have a precise start up date, it often depends on the weather. Changes to the bus schedule seem to happen with a day or two's notice. A daily bulletin?
George
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby snapperjon » 16 Jun 2011, 22:34

Maybe people could put stuff in that they've recently experienced? It will alter a bit, but probably not that much and would give a pretty good indication of what to expect.
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby AMPY » 16 Jun 2011, 22:52

Happy to oblige.

Taxi boats from Yialos to the nearer beaches were 9 Euro last week. Marathounta was 14 Euro (but still free sunbeds)

Didn't take a round the island trip but think they were around the 35-40 Euro mark.
AMPY
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby Gemma1 » 17 Jun 2011, 08:03

Not something I've experienced personally (yet) but the Sunday morning photo walk with Neil Gosling from Symi Dream sounds good if you're into walking and photographer. I'm not a great photographer myself but it's definitely on the agenda for my next trip :) It sets off at 9.15 in the morning from Symi Dream.

I really enjoyed the walking tour round Horio when I was on Symi last year. I went with Ian the Olympic rep so not sure if anybody is doing a similar trip this year :?:
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby snoopy2 » 17 Jun 2011, 08:42

:) Not a popular thing to recommend going off Symi for an excursion but my daughter and myself went on the day trip to Turkey. Specifically went for a Hamam and it was wonderful. After there was still time for lunch - a visit to the hairdresser where there were loads of couples queuing for pedicures and time to wander round the extensive and interesting market. The boat sails to a custom built resort so no ancient things to see but again i would thoroughly recommend a visit to the hamam - you come out feeling 'new' 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby snapperjon » 17 Jun 2011, 09:28

Well, there we are! Should we have a thread dedicated to this sort of thing? Sort of a mini `trip advisor'?

I know it's not a very British thing to do (why????) to talk about money, but if prices could be mentions (thanks, Ampy!) it would help with budgeting.
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby sainttheresa » 17 Jun 2011, 09:39

we have returned from symi after staying for two weeks and have had a brilliant time,we have been many times to symi so know what to expect.however i think through the exchange rate it has become expensive.a couple with two children were struggling to stretch there money as they hadnt budgeted.
sainttheresa
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby Oor Willie » 17 Jun 2011, 10:28

round the island trip on Poseidon was 35 Euros on Monday, the bus was only running up to 10pm and the fare was still 1 euro, a taxi to Horio from Yialos was 3.80 euros and to Pedi from Yialos was 5 euros all of the above I think are unchanged since last year, only difference seems to be the taxis are running up to midnight which is an improvement as I can remember struggling to get one at 11.00 in previous years
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby MARTIN RIPLEY » 17 Jun 2011, 12:03

35 euros for a round the island trip on the Poseidon? Bargain! As I'm sure everyone will know, Capt Yiannis' barbecues are legendary as is his hospitality. We haven't been on the Triton, but I understand that this boat is equally as good. I don't think that there are any bad trips on Symi and there's always something for everyone. I know that the EURO/� rate is fairly rubbish at the moment, so Symi can be expensive. Anyone know what the current exchange rate is on the island? Just debating whether to take EURO cheques or Sterling.
MARTIN RIPLEY
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby Allan » 17 Jun 2011, 12:39

Talking costs: The fare for the Symi-Datca Dodekanisos Express is €30 return.

Leave Symi at a civilised 10.30 and return at 15.00 Saturday only.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Symi excursions

Postby JeanW » 17 Jun 2011, 18:39

In May the Poseidon boat trip to St Emilianos was 30 euro's stopping for swimming at Toli, Maroni and St Isadoras bays. However, on this occasion we ran out of ouzo and white wine - never known this to happen before! But still a wonderful day out.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby JuliaB » 17 Jun 2011, 22:58

In May the taxi boat was 12 euros. At that time the sunbeds were out and included in the fare but the taverna was not open.

Also did the 30 euro trip on the Dodek to Datca. Poseidon only had a a licence for 12 passengers and so filled up quickly - 40 euros.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby JuliaB » 17 Jun 2011, 22:59

Whoops! I should have said the taxi boat to Nanou was 12 euros.
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby JeanW » 18 Jun 2011, 01:19

Was the 12 euro trip to Nanou for 1 person return or one way - just interested as I go back to Symi next week.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby JuliaB » 18 Jun 2011, 23:54

It was 12 euros return per person to Nanou. Enjoy your next trip!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby Adriana » 21 Jun 2011, 07:57

At this stage it looks as though Triton and Poseidon may have to drop their Datca trips because of new insurance legislation which prevents them from taking more than 12 passengers on 'international' trips. The price they would have to charge to cover the costs does not make the trip worth while for such a small number of people so they may stick to doing local routes and leave Datca to the Dodecanese Seaways ferry which, being a ferry rather than an excursion boat, falls into a different category again.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby Kat » 27 Jun 2011, 13:28

Is it possible to do Datca there and back in a day on the ferry Adriana, and is it a daily service please?
Thanks
Kat
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Symi excursions

Postby Andy W » 27 Jun 2011, 14:07

Hi Kat
While Adriana gets back to her house from Yialos, I can help out:
Dodecanese Seaways only operate to Datca on Saturdays, which is market day there, and the whole purpose is to provide a day return facility. The ferry sets off from Rhodes at 09:10, arrives Symi at 10:00, leaves again for Datca at 10:30, getting there at 11:00.
On the way back it leaves Datca at 15:00, gets to Symi at 15:30, and leaves again for Rhodes at 16:30.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to What to do